300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Out of State officer's question

I noticed at the Goodwills in Ohio, that they have a "no firearms" sign outside the front doors, and a Ohio code number. Can someone list the code number, and possibly what the code states?
    A PM works, or posting here, doesn't matter.

http://www.ohioattorneygeneral.gov/f...y-Laws-Booklet

Cut and paste this website and it should direct you to a 36 page manual on the CCW laws and procedures for Ohio.

Comment

I haven't read the whole booklet yet, but what i am looking for is: as an active status officer (myself, being from out of state), can i carry into goodwills marked with that Ohio code?
      more specifically- is it like the owner saying "no guns allowed" to which everyone must follow, or is it an "only officers can carry guns"?

Comment

Originally posted by chicken89 View Post
        I haven't read the whole booklet yet, but what i am looking for is: as an active status officer (myself, being from out of state), can i carry into goodwills marked with that Ohio code?
        more specifically- is it like the owner saying "no guns allowed" to which everyone must follow, or is it an "only officers can carry guns"?
        To the best of my knowledge, the latter is correct.
        The only time you can have too much ammunition is when you're swimming or on fire

Comment

In my humble opinion, here is the "technically correct" answer to your question, and a "real world" answer.

The Ohio CCW Law allows business owners to restrict carrying of guns in their establishments. Hence the sign you saw.

The Federal Right to Carry law has a line in it that says, "This section shall not be construed to supersede or limit the laws of any State that permit private persons or entities to prohibit or restrict the possession of concealed firearms on their property"

So by the letter of the law, those signs are covered under HR 218 and you cannot carry in those places.

Now the real world.
          1.) If you are concealed and carrying correctly no one is even going to know you are carrying unless the crap hits the fan.
          2.) As a LEO in Ohio (I am a 15 year veteran working in the Columbus area) I would never dream of hassling an out of State LEO that was otherwise acting within the law simply for carrying an off duty weapon.

If I were you I wouldn't sweat those signs too much when you come to Ohio. As long as your head is screwed on straight you would be fine.

Personally I think those signs are a little humorous. The only person who is going to pay them any attention is someone with a CCW permit who is trying to do follow the law. Any criminal who means the business or it's employees harm is not going to have a permit and is not going to give a crap about the sign.
          Last edited by Kabal; 12-11-2010, 12:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kabal View Post
            Personally I think those signs are a little humorous. The only person who is going to pay them any attention is someone with a CCW permit who is trying to do follow the law. Any criminal who means the business or it's employees harm is not going to have a permit and is not going to give a crap about the sign.
            Me too. I've always wanted to ask the business owners if they really think a criminal would stop at your front door and say, "guess I can't rob this place" or "crap! I have to leave the firearm that I am illegally possessing in the vehicle I "borrowed" while I conduct this robbery!"

I wouldn't sweat it chicken. If it's concealed you got nothing to worry about anyways. In my area I don't know of anyone to my knowledge who's even been charged with violating one of those signs.
            In God we trust. All others we run NCIC.

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem."
            PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN, 1985

Comment

I always though those signs were for CCW's.
              Any LEO with half a brain shouldn't have any problems in those places. Just don't go into Federal Buildings! lol

Comment

Yes, the owner can keep off duty officers from carry a firearm in their place of business. I carry in those places all the time. My weapon is concealed and what they don't know won't hurt them.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9500 users online. 346 members and 9154 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X