300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Military Credit on Civil Service Tests

I'm just curious as to everyone's thoughts on this. I didn't really understand it completely until it was explained to me as to why our Military folk receive the extra credit.

Not quite sure of your question... Are you asking if we think it is fair that military receive credit on civil service tests? If that is question, then yes, I believe it is fair. (I'm not a veteran, btw)

The police department is set up as a paramilitary organization, and as such, those who have the military experience already have a leg up. Military training, discipline, chain of command, etc, is very similar to our police organizations. Likewise, the credit is a small thanks for what our military personnel have sacrificed.
    The only time you can have too much ammunition is when you're swimming or on fire

Comment

Originally posted by snredrum View Post
      I'm just curious as to everyone's thoughts on this. I didn't really understand it completely until it was explained to me as to why our Military folk receive the extra credit.
      Why we receive extra credit ? This is going to be an interesting thread, lol. I assume you have never served in the military.

Comment

Originally posted by W09 View Post
        Why we receive extra credit ? This is going to be an interesting thread, lol. I assume you have never served in the military.
        I have not served that is correct. And yes, I think it will be an interesting thread :-)

I just never knew the "why" of why many civil service commissions gave the bonus test credit. Some places do 10% some do 20%. I do not disagree with it as I completely respect the service to our country many of you have given, I never questioned the bonus, just didn't know why and never thought about it until it was brought up.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny216 View Post
          Not quite sure of your question... Are you asking if we think it is fair that military receive credit on civil service tests? If that is question, then yes, I believe it is fair. (I'm not a veteran, btw)

The police department is set up as a paramilitary organization, and as such, those who have the military experience already have a leg up. Military training, discipline, chain of command, etc, is very similar to our police organizations. Likewise, the credit is a small thanks for what our military personnel have sacrificed.
          I am not asking the fairness of the credit received. Just seeing what others think about it. I never really thought about it or even questioned it until it was brought up by someone else today.

And I agree that it is a small thanks for what they have sacrificed.

Comment

Because those who have served in a military organization better understand how a para-military organization works. But traditionally, veterans have volunteered to serve their community and government by joining the military. Wether or not they served in combat isn't so much the question. It's the fact that they stepped up for their community and country as a whole for a period of several years. So in recognition of that service and sacrifice to their community, the veteran is given a small advantage over those who have not. Generally speaking, it is a requirement to have been discharged honorably to get credit. So it's not like a dirtbag in the military gets a free ride to being a LEO.

BTW, many departments also offer this kind of advantage to people with college degrees and no military service.
            Just another squirrel, tryin' to get a nut......

Comment

Originally posted by QuietPro View Post
              Because those who have served in a military organization better understand how a para-military organization works. But traditionally, veterans have volunteered to serve their community and government by joining the military. Wether or not they served in combat isn't so much the question. It's the fact that they stepped up for their community and country as a whole for a period of several years. So in recognition of that service and sacrifice to their community, the veteran is given a small advantage over those who have not. Generally speaking, it is a requirement to have been discharged honorably to get credit. So it's not like a dirtbag in the military gets a free ride to being a LEO.

BTW, many departments also offer this kind of advantage to people with college degrees and no military service.
              Good point. Departments seem to be putting more emphasis on education. So if you have a degree and are a vet, you have a much higher chance of placing higher on a civil service exam. As someone currently serving in the Army Reserves, I agree it should be this way. We've been at war for nearly a decade. Which means nearly every soldier, airmen, marine and sailor is either a combat vet or will be before their first enlistment contract is up. There is no one I would feel more comfortable serving as a police officer with then a combat vet with a bachelors degree.
              Last edited by W09; 12-07-2010, 09:08 PM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9749 users online. 454 members and 9295 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X