Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good luck to all when taking the PT...

Comment

• Originally posted by MaxRex33 View Post
      Good luck to all when taking the PT...
      You too Max. Can't wait for background checks to be complete afterwards, that'll probably be at least a month long wait I'd imagine.

I wondered since you've been through this before...do you know if the fitness test is just pass/fail, or do they keep track of your numbers to compare to the field?
      The loudest one in the room is the weakest.

Comment

• The pt test will be a pass or fail, as you do one exercise you either pass it or fail it. So if you fail situps, you wont continue to take the push ups and the run, youre just done at that point. But, your name remains on the list, so when they do it again they will notify you. They work that same list until it has been exhausted. Did you guys get your packets done? Pretty time consuming packet so dont put it off.

Comment

• Yeah I "finished" my packet. There were a couple of things I wasn't sure about but the HR person told me it's normal to have a couple of questions and to finish it at the orientation. I got 95% of it completed though.

As far as the fitness test, I just meant more like are you marked "pass" or are you marked 43 push ups , 39 sit ups, 13:10 run. Just wondered if they compare your results and that helps/hurts your standing, or if it doesn't really matter as long as you pass.

Comment

• As far as the PT test, you get one minute to complete the # of correct sit ups/ push ups. Once you reach the # (with in the time) then you stop. Most will not need the full minute, and the run I'm not so sure about. Last time for the PT assessment we ran outside to do the 1.5 so be prepared to potentially run in the cold...cause I'm not sure where else you can do the run.. I'm not aware of any inside track at the Academy.

Comment

• davidhale
              davidhale commented
              Editing a comment
              Looks like it may snow this Sunday; it should be extra challenging coupled with the wind and cold.

• Originally posted by MaxRex33 View Post
            As far as the PT test, you get one minute to complete the # of correct sit ups/ push ups. Once you reach the # (with in the time) then you stop. Most will not need the full minute, and the run I'm not so sure about. Last time for the PT assessment we ran outside to do the 1.5 so be prepared to potentially run in the cold...cause I'm not sure where else you can do the run.. I'm not aware of any inside track at the Academy.
            Ahhhh, thanks for the tip. I assumed there was a track or it would be around a gym floor or something since they didn't say to bring outdoor attire. I'll be sure to throw some sweats and a hoody in my bag.

Comment

• I just about finished my paperwork, the only problem I'm having is obtaining my old driver's license number from Texas .The DMV website is not user friendly and the numbers provided don't lead anywhere; quite frustrating.

Comment

• MaxRex33
                MaxRex33 commented
                Editing a comment
                I wouldn't worry about getting your license # too much. Advise the steps you took to try and obtain the info and he or she can look it up. They do understand these things... You'll get the chance to talk about it in your meeting... So no worries

• I was thinking the same Rex. At the end of the day, this is a BI...they're going to get the info they need. I'm assuming your job is to do as much as work as you can, offer up as much info and shine light on as much as you can, and then turn it over. From talking to people around here, it sounds like as long as you show you've made an effort and don't have a 50% completed packet, you'll be ok and can just explain why certain areas are blank.

Comment

• That's correct, they have a lot of people to process so the more information obtained the faster itll go. Especially references, so be sure to put people down that will respond quickly or the investigators will have to wait around and put you on the back burner and work on someone elses until they've made contact.

Comment

• In regards to your references, it's best to advise those who you list about the possibility of an investigator contacting them. That way the will know what's going on before the call, email or whatever means they use.

Comment

• Adam2015
                    Adam2015 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    That's a really good point!

• I just got home from my PT test. Hopefully you guys have been practicing because people were failing at all steps; situps, pushups, and the run. Only 3 passed at my time slot, including myself.

Basic run down was a video on proper form of the exercises then situps, then push ups, 10 minute rest then the run on an indoor track.
                  I know the department said to have your paperwork completed but it wasn't necessary, heck you didn't even have to have it with you.
                  We went through each point in the questionnaire and could ask for clarification etc. Then you signed some consent forms for background checks to be performed, scheduled your next meeting with the background officer, and given a list of items to bring along with your then completed questionnaire.

I overheard an officer say that almost half of applicants will fail at this point.

Comment

• MaxRex33
                    MaxRex33 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Glad to hear you were successful at the PT.. good to know there is an indoor track. Did you preform the exercises individually or as a group?

• davidhale
                    davidhale commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Situps and pushups; we went 3 at a time. The run was everyone at once but there were only 4 of us by then.
                    There were four officers giving the physical test, so I'm not entirely sure how it would go if more people pass.

• Were people failing because of strict form requirements, or just because they were out of shape? Seems weird that many people would get to this point and not be able to do 18 push ups or whatever it is.

Also, and maybe this is common knowledge, I read an article with a quote from the chief that said 41 people will get a spot in the academy. It’ll start in July.

Comment

• Yes, they said the academy will start in July.

And also yes, you can only rest in the up position of both situps and pushups. A rest/pause longer than a second in any other position and you fail immediately.
                    You will also go the full minute and not stop when you meet the minimum requirements.

Comment

• Bauer
                      Bauer commented
                      Editing a comment
                      That's weird they had you guys go the full minute. They flat out told us that once you reach your number, you can stop if you want to. Said you don't get any bonus points in the process for doing more than your minimum. Also said if you are stopped at any point in the exercise for incorrect form, you finish with the number you are on. So if you were over your minimum, you're good.

• So if you rest in the wrong position after you’ve completed the minimum, you fail?

Comment

• I don't think people realized what was required of them. When leaving the track, I overheard the man who failed the run tell an officer that this was the first time he's ran in a while.

I also can't give a definitive yes or no to failing after meeting the minimum. But I can say that all four officers gave a stern look and said resting in the non-up position meant failure of the entire process.
                      I assume you can rest as long as needed in the up position but I didn't risk it and just slowed my pace .I counted "1000 1" then continued until time was up.

Also, you will be doing the physical test again after background checks and if you can't meet or exceed what you set your first time, you will fail.

Comment

• MaxRex33
                        MaxRex33 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        There is a YouTube video on the Toledo Police Academy PT requirements... It's about 2 minutes long but goes over in details the rest position and so forth.

• davidhale
                        davidhale commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Yes, Max. That is the video you will be watching at the beginning.

• Bauer
                        Bauer commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Yours went much different than ours. The let us quit after getting the minimum and they never mentioned anything about another fitness test. Just said we would have to meet the next level up to graduate from the academy.

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7249 users online. 351 members and 6898 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X