Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don't want to give out false information so take this with a grain of salt, but I believe classes are usually in the low-mid 40's and I have heard that they would like to have multiple classes over the next couple of years to off set low numbers and eligible retirees. There is definitely a class this year though. Do you guys know how the selections are made? Just wondering if scores on the test we've already taken are taken into consideration with the interviews and fitness portion, or if it's a clean slate from this point forward. I did really well on my test so I'm hoping that gives me a leg up.
    Last edited by Bauer; 01-26-2018, 12:52 PM.
    The loudest one in the room is the weakest.

Comment

• I have no idea how any of the process works. This is my first attempt and I'm a bit nervous just waiting around.
      I am glad there are others who came here to get the post moving again. It will be nice to go forward with others.

Comment

• Same for me man. It's something I've wanted to do for a long time, but recently decided to go for. If I'm reading through the forum correctly, it SOUNDS like your 1st score makes a difference. Right now I'm ranked 8th on the eligible list, so I feel good about that at least. What I'm hoping is that, let's say 50 people are selected for the class, that I can't be bumped out unless I don't pass something. We'll see though. The way you're kept in the dark through most of such a long process is obviously the tough part of it all. If you read through, most of those people just relied on the information from each other the entire time. Hopefully some other eligible applicants will make their way to the forum.
        Last edited by Bauer; 01-26-2018, 12:53 PM.

Comment

• If this is still valid (It's from 2014) it looks like I might be correct. Once you pass your background/interview/medical, you're offered the position. Then you just have to pass your medical/psych/fitness test to keep the offer and get into the academy. I'd imagine that's where alternates jump in...when people begin failing those after being offered a spot.

City of Toledo: Police Officer – Selection Requirements
          1. Civil Service Examination and Eligible List - Candidates must pass the written Civil Service examination and qualify within appointment range on the Civil Service eligible list.

2. Background Investigation and Appeals Process – The Toledo Police Department conducts background investigations for candidates to the Police Officer job classification. All candidates may appeal to the Toledo Civil Service Commission background points assessed and automatic areas of rejection. The Commission can modify or eliminate a negative point assessment or area of rejection. To review background standards, see the document “Police Officer Background Standards.”

3. Structured Oral Interview – All candidates passing the background process will be scheduled for a structured oral interview. Candidates must receive a passing score on the interview to continue in the hiring process.

4. Medical Examination – Candidates who are given a conditional offer of employment must pass the medical standards as established by the City of Toledo and determined by the City’s Medical Doctor. A candidate failing the medical exam may appeal the determination.
          MEDICAL APPEALS PROCESS:
          All candidates must pass the medical standards as established. If an individual fails to pass the pre-employment medical examination, he/she will be notified in writing of such failure and reasons. Individuals will have ten (10) days from delivery of such notice, at his/her option, to be re-examined by a physician of his/her choice. After re-examination, the individual may provide the re-examination results and findings, accompanied by supporting documentation to the City of Toledo’s physician for a second review. All re-examination documentation must be provided within the ten (10) days. After conducting a second review of the submitted information, the City’s physician shall make the final determination as to whether the individual passes or fails the pre-employment medical examination. The City physician will also have the option to reexamine the individual or to send the individual to another physician that the City has selected before making his/her final determination.

5. Psychological Examination – Candidates who are given a conditional offer of employment must pass the psychological standards as established by the City of Toledo.

6. Physical Ability Examination – Candidates who are given a conditional offer of employment and who pass the medical and psychology examinations must pass the physical ability examination.

7. Toledo Police Training Academy- All persons appointed as Police Officers must meet the standards established by the Toledo Police Training Academy during the probationary period.
          Additional Requirements

Candidates who do not possess one (1) year of job-related college course work at an accredited college or university may participate in the examination and receive appointment. However, in order to maintain their positions, they must complete the one (1) year college requirement (36 quarter hours or 24 semester hours) within two (2) years from the date of successful completion of the Police Training Academy.
          *As approved by the Toledo Civil Service Commission on November 5, 2014

Comment

• I can tell you that the next process is the background check. At some point you will be contacted by a member of the force to meet and receive paperwork to be filled out and returned. It's a giant application. You MUST list all employment you have ever had, all living family members etc etc. They will eventually email you with the results of the BG check, and if you are over the allowed amount you will appeal. Tardiness, calling off work, being written up etc will result in a point (s). Driving record, any tickets, moving violation (s) will also result in points. And I can attest they will give you point for everything. But the appeal process is not terrible, you sit in a room with the civil service commission and several officers and basically explain why you received the points. Afterwards if they remove points you are told then. Also during this time you will get an appointment for an interview date and PT pra

Comment

• Practice..

Comment

• Yeah, reading through the old posts it sounds like as long as you don't have anything too terrible, the appeals committee is pretty understanding. They may just be THAT strict to see who will take the time to come in and fight for it I bet.

Man, though..I don't even talk to 90% of my family...not leaving people out is gonna be tough. lol Luckily for me, I'm 30 years old and have held 2 part time jobs as a high school student and 1 job since i've been out. (my current employer) so that part should be easy.

So I'm assuming you've been through the process Max...are you trying again?

Comment

• I have been through this process before, but it was several years ago. Alot has changed from the testing procedure to the PT qualifications now, so I'm not sure what the process truly is. And yes I'm in the process again.

Comment

• Well good luck man. Hope it works out for you this time. I’m excited but really dreading how long it might take between steps. Seems like TPD is in a better place (in our case) as far as spots needing to fill, having online testing, etc this time around, so maybe the process will speed up a little. They need officers even with that last class just graduating.

Comment

• I' also on the eligible list, I hear they typically process the first 200 on the list and fill slots until a couple of classes have been filled. Now that's just what I was told so take it for what it is. Good luck!

Comment

• Check your emails! I just got one saying congratulations and that I have to schedule my fitness test and background check within 3 business days. (So by Wednesday for me)

it gives instructions on who to contact and a range of dates to pick from. It’s a 2 week span Mon-Sun in February.

It also says that that if you pass the fitness portion, you will imediately head to an orientation to begin background checks which will take an hour on its own.

they included the background packet which needs to be filled out before going to the test. I’ll continue to add info here if get any.

Comment

• Sounds like this process could be accelerated this time through by the way they’re doing things so quickly? maybe those of us who get accepted will be starting the academy soon so we can get through before the
                          end of the year. That would be sweet. I believe it’s about 25 weeks or so.

good luck everyone!

Comment

• Also received that email. This is definitely different than the last time I did this. The PT standards I knew changed, but that was always the last step.

Comment

• I just got an email for all the paperwork concerning my background. Quite an exhaustive list; I don't know how to even begin to find my Texas drivers license number from 2000.
                              Looks like we also have to setup an appointment for our physical test by the 31st of this month. This part I'm the least worried about, I run regularly and exercise.
                              *I tried to upload a screenshot of the requirements, hopefully it loads*

Comment

• Adam, I hope that 200 number is accurate. I scored 91.1. I'm not very high on the list but I'm above 90.

Comment

• Adam2015
                                  Adam2015 commented
                                  Editing a comment
                                  Brother me too lol I scored a 91.2 haha.. but I'm in the top 200 so, I guess we will know for sure if only the 200 got the email. I got the email, did you? And I scheduled already for Feb. 9. But, my buddy works there as an officer and that's what he told me is they typically process the first 200 but he also said they may have also changed it because this process is different than when he did it.

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10844 users online. 344 members and 10500 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X