• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there any residency requirement?

Comment

• Originally posted by HopefulAcct View Post
      Is there any residency requirement?
      Pretty sure it's within 6 months of hire. I think you have to either live in Toledo or a surrounding city.

Comment

• Does anyone know when the next academy starts?

Comment

• Ok next academy starts in sept

Comment

• That's good. Means it'll be about 10 months from application to academy.

Comment

• Does Toledo accept people who have already completed the academy but has not yet been hired as a police officer yet or is currently in a self sponsored academy?

I am currently in a self sponsored academy and have filled out an application online. I will be completing my academy by May. I know their academy will be in September as others have said but will i have to go through their academy and do this all over again if they decide to hire me? Or can/will they hire me with the training I am already receiving?

I received an email telling me to go take the test on December 1st at 9:30am. Is the academy I am already in going to be a waste of time if I do get hired?

Comment

• EvanM07....yes, its is my understanding that everyone, regardless of training or previous experience will have to complete the training academy.

Comment

• Well that seems pointless. I thought the only agency in Ohio that required you to take their academy regardless of experience was Ohio State Highway Patrol. Even Columbus PD will take you if you have been an officer elsewhere but with a minimum requirement of I believe 5 years experience as a full time police officer.

I spoke with a officer from Perrysburg Police Department (I know not Toledo PD but close enough) and he believes that given the academy that I am currently in that Toledo PD would be willing to waive the necessity to take their academy. He wasn't 100% sure but he has heard of it happening.

I guess I will just take the written test next month and speak with someone from the department sometime soon and find out for sure.

Comment

• I could be wrong but most large cities I have seen all require u to go through their academy regardless of experience

Comment

• Originally posted by JDub1978 View Post
                      I could be wrong but most large cities I have seen all require u to go through their academy regardless of experience
                      Hmmm... well the LAPD, NYPD, Chicago PD, Dallas PD, and the like will all take lateral transfers just so long as you meet their requirements of previous experience and if they are hiring. I've done research on most of those because at one point or another they peaked my interest. I know from having spoke with recruiters from both the LAPD and NYPD that they want a minimum of 5 years experience as a full time officer. There are some states that don't accept out of state training too. But about 47 states all see OPOTA (Ohio Peace Officer Training Academy) as acceptable prior training. Both of those departments however told me that I would have to go through a short one month course to be up to date with that departments standards and rules/regulations as well as be up to date with local laws.

So you cant say that ALL major police departments will require you to go through their academy REGARDLESS of training/experience. That' just a false statement.

I also don't see why Toledo PD (a department that will pretty much hire anyone with a pulse) wouldn't accept my self sponsored academy as acceptable training and then put me through a short course to learn the few extra things they need me to know.

Whatever. Doesn't make sense but, when does anything in this world make sense!

Comment

• Well I just spoke with a man in the human resources department. He said that if the chief finds my training to be acceptable he will put me through an accelerated academy program that will get me familiarized with the Toledo way of policing.

So I hope I do well on the test and that the chief thinks my academy is good enough!

Comment

• Which academy are you going through? And just for the record I did say all large cities that I have seen...not all major depts. Period...just the ones I have specifically looked into

Comment

• Anybody that has taken the Toledo exam or have knowledge of the exam please chime in...

According to the study guide, you have to study 18 wanted posters with info and then answer questions concerning each wanted poster. It is almost impossible to remember 18 posters and then answer questions accurately. So my question is...are there 18 posters we have to memorize or just 1?

Also the laws at the beginning of the study exam, do we have to study and memorize them word for word. It seems like the entire test is based on memory skills.

Comment

• I have read a few of the past postings and I would like to add my two cents. First, although some people may believe Toledo does not care who they hire, you may want to do some more research. Right now, it is expected that 2000 applicants will take the test. Now, there will be many that fail on top of other that are failed due to other steps but it is still a very competitive department. There are numerous open enrollment academies that are pumping out more graduates. Toledo can and will be selective in who they hire. Yes, HR is a good point of contact but I will tell you that the Chief will review everyone and determine what he accepts or will not. All departments have separate standards and they can really do what they want. As for the test, study study study. You have 3 weeks to memorize everything you need to. Study it every free chance you have and you will be fine. I doubt the test will cover everything they want you to memorize but they want to see your dedication.

Comment

• I would tend to agree with HopefulAcct after reading others' experiences with the background investigation. It seems like they'll DQ almost everyone just to see who fights for the chance to move on. There were very petty things in some posts that actually counted against them. I'd say Toledo cares who they hire just like any other department.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 15972 users online. 506 members and 15466 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X