X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dayton Police Department

Anyone applying to the next test?

Thoughts about the department?

Yes, I am thinking about it. I do not know much about the department. Do you know what the physical standards are? I am unable to find anything on the website about the specifics. I'm guessing OPOTA standards?

Comment

Good agency, crappy city (from the outside looking in). Agency I work for has a station in Dayton, and says from what they hear/observe they're dealing with the "overworked, understaffed" problem facing many agencies (work less with more). I've never gone through their process, but have heard individuals that have completed it in the past had a better shot with Dayton than other agencies (not sure why, or if it'll hold true now given the lack of cop jobs and overabundance of qualified applicants). They did finally lose their battle in 2009 with that silly municipality residency requirement, giving officers the ability to reside somewhere other than within the city limits while employed.

Seems as though you'd learn a lot quickly working there, and the pay/benefits seems decent for the area. Jgray, PT standards are listed as 15th percentile (Cooper standards) for entry/beginning academy, 50th percentile for graduation from academy-all straight from the recruitment page, bottom of FAQ's.

Good luck,
      RKC

Comment

As above, crappy city that finally booted out its worthless mayor. Cooper standards for PT. There will be a very strong push for minority candidates. The dept. will be seriously understaffed by the time this projected academy class graduates. Actually, the dept will still be seriously understaffed after the projected academy class is graduated and on the street. Pay is good and cost of living is low to moderate. You will get a lot of experience in Dayton. A couple of their officers were just recently indicted for felony stupid, but that is not indicative of the dept as a whole. Like any dept., Dayton has some great guys (and gals) as well as some slugs that just make you wonder why they ever got into law enforcement in the first place. The Spanish speaking population is increasing, so the ability to speak Spanish would be a big plus.

Comment

I would apply, but I'm over the age limit.
          Cincinnati PD

Comment

Does anyone know if they take laterals? Or do you have to take their Academy?

Comment

You will have to go through the entire civil service process and attend the academy.

Comment

Originally posted by just joe View Post
                You will have to go through the entire civil service process and attend the academy.
                Why does Dayton thing they are special? Cleveland, Columbus, and a lot of cities take laterals? Are you sure?

Comment

If your definition of lateral means skipping the academy or taking an abbreviated course, yes, I am sure. I am only aware of them ever taking laterals one time and I don't think it is something they will do again. There is certainly no thought of doing that now with the anticipated incoming class. It is what it is.

Comment

Columbus does not allow laterals. You must go thru the entire process, including CPD academy.

Comment

Originally posted by just joe View Post
                      If your definition of lateral means skipping the academy or taking an abbreviated course, yes, I am sure. I am only aware of them ever taking laterals one time and I don't think it is something they will do again. There is certainly no thought of doing that now with the anticipated incoming class. It is what it is.
                      Strange.
                      Ok. take your word for it.

Comment

Columbus doesn't take laterals. Neither does Cincinnati. My guess is Cleveland doesn't either. Nothing at all strange about large/larger depts wanting you to go through their academy. It's commonplace around here.

Comment

I put in my application on the 15th to get the ball rolling, anyone here anything back yet?

Comment

Probably won't be hearing anything for a while. They haven't even got to the closing date for applications. Mid-September is when it closes.

Comment

Anyone else notice that the recruiting website stated that we would have to submit copies of our license, birth certificate, SS card, diploma, etc...with our applications, but nowhere in the application did it actually state or require us to?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6534 users online. 341 members and 6193 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X