Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

appreciate the comments.... and dont plan on pushin a car at 60 LOL.. but I hear you. Fact is, I can still outrun, outfight and outwit 70% of the guys I know who are under age 40 at my department.. so depends on the individual officer/deputy.. Kinda like classifying all rookies as idiots isnt it?

Comment

Originally posted by Danny216 View Post
      We have many top notch colleges with police departments, you may be able to keep your certs and become part of the command staff at a University. One of our Sgts retired, then got a job as a Sgt or Lt or something with one of the local colleges making waaaaayyy more than he did with the city.
      haha i may work with that Sgt now if it's the same guy. although i know that you guys make more starting out than i do starting out.
      I don't have to be careful. I got a gun.

Comment

Originally posted by borninblue View Post
        Foolish until ur pushing a zone car with someone in their late 60s. Admin position OK, not runin calls. I have been there where people have trouble getting out of the car. Not cool when it's ur backup.

When u hire someone in their 40s this is what u get down the road.
        Hiring someone later in life doesn't mean that I advocate that they have to put in 25 years. I think there are plenty of guys (and gals) who are bewteen 36-46 who can put in a solid 10-15 years and be perfectly happy to "retire" at 55 if they haven't been promoted to a non-patrol job. I agree with you in that I don't think we need people in their 60s pushing radio cars, however I think we are losing out on a lot of great people because they are "too old" to be hired. Like I said, maybe too old to put in 30 years on patrol, but not too old to do some good police work for awhile.

Comment

Originally posted by Glory Days View Post
          haha i may work with that Sgt now if it's the same guy. although i know that you guys make more starting out than i do starting out.
          Does the college you work at start with a "C" and is not a "state" university?
          The only time you can have too much ammunition is when you're swimming or on fire

Comment

Originally posted by just joe View Post
            Hiring someone later in life doesn't mean that I advocate that they have to put in 25 years. I think there are plenty of guys (and gals) who are bewteen 36-46 who can put in a solid 10-15 years and be perfectly happy to "retire" at 55 if they haven't been promoted to a non-patrol job. I agree with you in that I don't think we need people in their 60s pushing radio cars, however I think we are losing out on a lot of great people because they are "too old" to be hired. Like I said, maybe too old to put in 30 years on patrol, but not too old to do some good police work for awhile.
            I agree with what your saying to an extent, the problem is you will always have people that push it to the limits, meaning they wont retire until they are forced to. If more departments made a mandatory cut off age i could care less if they hire a guy at 40 or 45 as long as they dont put in 25 or 30 years. Some guys just won't hang up the boots, when it is the respectable thing to do for everyone.
            "In valor there is hope"

Comment

Originally posted by Danny216 View Post
              Does the college you work at start with a "C" and is not a "state" university?
              haha that appears to be correct.
              I don't have to be careful. I got a gun.

Comment

I agree... I have absolutely no intention of putting in 25 more years. alreadys have a decade in my CA retirement that will remain there.. but I have at least 10-15 more good years left in me that I dont want to waste chasing off skateboarders and graffiti artists as a Walmart security guard.

Comment

Originally posted by brian1q47 View Post
                  I agree... I have absolutely no intention of putting in 25 more years. alreadys have a decade in my CA retirement that will remain there.. but I have at least 10-15 more good years left in me that I dont want to waste chasing off skateboarders and graffiti artists as a Walmart security guard.
                  That's the spirit!!! I'm hoping that you find a job that's a good fit for you here!
                  The only time you can have too much ammunition is when you're swimming or on fire

Comment

What part of Ohio are you going to? I have tried with agencies in Ohio, but with no luck. 1) no age limit that I know of for hiring. 2) P.O.S.T. rules does not exist in Ohio :-( You have to be sponsored by an agency in Ohio before OPOTA can tell you that you have to take the 50 hours law! "http://www.ohioattorneygeneral.gov/OPOTA"
                    Keep in touch and let me know, I can tell you more of my experience trying to get on an agency. I have been retired from California about 2 years now! I can still go back before my 3rd year, but California Economy doesn't look very appealing these days :-(

Comment

Originally posted by brian1q47 View Post
                      I have a related question, if anyone has any input. I am currently a SGT at a CA Sheriff's Office and being forced to relocate to Ohio. Difficulty I am having is the age 35 civil service requirement in Ohio as I am 40. Do they ever have lateral officer tests in Ohio? And if so do they waive the 35 years of age limitation? At this point I am considering attempting to get on as a reserve prior to quitting my position in CA just so I can maintatin my certification and not have to attend the academy. Seems the only departments doing any hiring are civil service though. Any comments are appreciated.
                      What part of Ohio are you going to? I have tried with agencies in Ohio, but with no luck. 1) no age limit that I know of for hiring. 2) P.O.S.T. rules does not exist in Ohio :-( You have to be sponsored by an agency in Ohio before OPOTA can tell you that you have to take the 50 hours law! "http://www.ohioattorneygeneral.gov/OPOTA"
                      Keep in touch and let me know, I can tell you more of my experience trying to get on an agency. I have been retired from California about 2 years now! I can still go back before my 3rd year, but California Economy doesn't look very appealing these days :-(

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6832 users online. 180 members and 6652 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X