300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Non civil service departments.

Does anyone know of any departments that are NOT civil service? I do know that Walton Hills is not. I have 3 years full time in South Carolina but would like to move back to Ohio. Preferably around Cuyahoga County.

First question would be why do you want to come back here, and second would be why cuyahoga county? I live in cuyahoga county and it is a mess right now with the county corruption cases, foreclosures, crime etc. There are a handfull of good suburbs left but most people are leaving the county for greener pastures; geauga, and medina county for example. If your lookin for a house in cuyahoga county I'll sell you mine!

That list is pretty good you were given, but most places around here are not hiring.
    "In valor there is hope"

Comment

Any reason in particular you don't want a civil service agency? A lot of sheriff's offices aren't civil service, but they are doing more laying off than hiring, at least in my part of Ohio.

Comment

I grew up in Cuyahoga County. I have taken many civil service exams and could never score high enough to compete. As you know you have to have 100% plus 50% extra credit to be a few of the top candidates. The other reason is I feel its discriminating. Because I didnt score high enough then I dont get an interview. The Chief never even talked to me, how does he know if I am a fit for his department. I could see it differently if I was able to interview first then if I was a fit then take an exam. Reason for moving back, Im not a southerner, never will be, cant stand it here, hate the state and it never freaking snows here.

Comment

Originally posted by sekeraksm View Post
          I grew up in Cuyahoga County. I have taken many civil service exams and could never score high enough to compete. As you know you have to have 100% plus 50% extra credit to be a few of the top candidates. The other reason is I feel its discriminating. Because I didnt score high enough then I dont get an interview. The Chief never even talked to me, how does he know if I am a fit for his department. I could see it differently if I was able to interview first then if I was a fit then take an exam. Reason for moving back, Im not a southerner, never will be, cant stand it here, hate the state and it never freaking snows here.
          I understand your frustration, I had to take a job 50 minutes away before I could get a job in cuyahoga county. You also have to understand that civil service was created to get rid of the good ol boy system. It may not be perfect, but it reduces (does not eliminate) people pulling strings from the inside.
          "In valor there is hope"

Comment

Originally posted by sekeraksm View Post
            I feel its discriminating.
            Of course it is. That's the purpose of testing, to discriminate between qualified and unqualified applicants.

The Chief never even talked to me, how does he know if I am a fit for his department.
            He knows because he looked at your test scores.

Comment

So if you don't test well or have a vast knowledge of some of the questions that those Clancy tests ask you means that you should not be a police officer. Thats shallow! I cant imagine how many good people are passed up because of a test. What about someone with 15 years on their belt that is a outstanding officer. He only scores in mid 80's. What your saying is that hes no good, he sucks. I don't see how that's fair.

Comment

Catch 22

I do agree with you that it is a losing battle with the civil service tests but with the amount of applicants coming for each position, there is no other way to weed out applicants effectively. The chief does not have the time and does not want to waste the time of his staff to interview every applicant. I have been taking these test since 19 and I feel I am getting better at them as time goes on. I am ranked somewhere in the 20s for Willoughby and have made it into the final rounds for Cleveland and GCRTA. I decided against those departments and I am glad I did since they both had layoffs.

My motto is if it happens it happens. I wish I had the opportunity to move a be a Police Officer but due to family obligations, that is not possible. I have done a lot of travel to NC and SC and loved it but it is not for everyone. I wish you the best because odds are against you as you know. If I was you, I would apply at hospitals like Cleveland Clinic and such and try to get on there and move into a department. It would be much easier then trying to work for a city right off the bat.

As for I, I continue with civil service and wish the best. Good Luck.

Comment

Originally posted by HopefulAcct View Post
                  I do agree with you that it is a losing battle with the civil service tests but with the amount of applicants coming for each position, there is no other way to weed out applicants effectively. The chief does not have the time and does not want to waste the time of his staff to interview every applicant. I have been taking these test since 19 and I feel I am getting better at them as time goes on. I am ranked somewhere in the 20s for Willoughby and have made it into the final rounds for Cleveland and GCRTA. I decided against those departments and I am glad I did since they both had layoffs.

My motto is if it happens it happens. I wish I had the opportunity to move a be a Police Officer but due to family obligations, that is not possible. I have done a lot of travel to NC and SC and loved it but it is not for everyone. I wish you the best because odds are against you as you know. If I was you, I would apply at hospitals like Cleveland Clinic and such and try to get on there and move into a department. It would be much easier then trying to work for a city right off the bat.

As for I, I continue with civil service and wish the best. Good Luck.
                  Transit laid off people recently? I knew Cleveland did, but I didn't know the transit guys went through it too. There's a Transit K-9 officer on my street.
                  When reality becomes too unbearable.............When he can't give an intelligent answer to the comment made instead of the comment he wish were made....... he predictably............. slips into ........The Fantasy Zone.
                  -JPR

Comment

Originally posted by oshphopeful View Post
                    Transit laid off people recently? I knew Cleveland did, but I didn't know the transit guys went through it too. There's a Transit K-9 officer on my street.
                    Yea, I did not know either until I was reading it in the Plain Dealer a couple of months ago and it stated transit police and GCRTA employees were being laid off. (http://www.riderta.com/nu_newsroom_r...listingid=1344). The link says 53 employees were laid off but I am not sure how my transit cops that includes.

Comment

I have a related question, if anyone has any input. I am currently a SGT at a CA Sheriff's Office and being forced to relocate to Ohio. Difficulty I am having is the age 35 civil service requirement in Ohio as I am 40. Do they ever have lateral officer tests in Ohio? And if so do they waive the 35 years of age limitation? At this point I am considering attempting to get on as a reserve prior to quitting my position in CA just so I can maintatin my certification and not have to attend the academy. Seems the only departments doing any hiring are civil service though. Any comments are appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by brian1q47 View Post
                        I have a related question, if anyone has any input. I am currently a SGT at a CA Sheriff's Office and being forced to relocate to Ohio. Difficulty I am having is the age 35 civil service requirement in Ohio as I am 40. Do they ever have lateral officer tests in Ohio? And if so do they waive the 35 years of age limitation? At this point I am considering attempting to get on as a reserve prior to quitting my position in CA just so I can maintatin my certification and not have to attend the academy. Seems the only departments doing any hiring are civil service though. Any comments are appreciated.
                        There is no Ohio standard that states '35 years or less', it just depends on each agency. That being said, I don't know of any more agencies in the Greater Cleveland area that don't have an age limit. (Cleveland never had an age limit until after my academy graduated last October; we had a guy who was 50. They have since instituted an age limit of 39.) Keep looking Sarge, there's bound to be something for someone with your level of experience here... We have many top notch colleges with police departments, you may be able to keep your certs and become part of the command staff at a University. One of our Sgts retired, then got a job as a Sgt or Lt or something with one of the local colleges making waaaaayyy more than he did with the city.
                        The only time you can have too much ammunition is when you're swimming or on fire

Comment

As stated above, Ohio does not have any mandatory cut off age. Some agencies do and some don't. Don't forget to look into non-traditional agencies such as parks, colleges and universities, airports, etc.

Comment

Not at all. I think age cut offs are foolish.

Comment

Foolish until ur pushing a zone car with someone in their late 60s. Admin position OK, not runin calls. I have been there where people have trouble getting out of the car. Not cool when it's ur backup.

When u hire someone in their 40s this is what u get down the road.
                              "In valor there is hope"

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8755 users online. 306 members and 8449 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X