Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Highway Patrol?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #61
    Hello All,
    I think this thread has gotten a little off topic. My advice to someone having a hard time with a polygraph follows:
    1.) Write a letter requesting the polygraph results.
    2.) Request to have a specific in-depth polygraph.
    The Troopers are good about this from what people tell me. They will provide you with the info you need and should work with you if they think you will be an asset to the Division.

    Yes, there is a lot of scientific evidence that proves there is no validity in the polygraph, unfortunately we have to deal with them to get into most agencies. If I were you I would just keep trying. You will pass some and fail others depending on the mood of the polygraph technician.

    I do agree with Trooperden, in that you cannot know the education and background of the polygraph operator. I have met some of these guys in my time on the job and a lot of them have masters in psychology and other related fields. They are skilled interrogators. So you must have done something to set off their Spidy senses.

    Of course the American Psychological Association has stated there in no scientific validity in the current polygraph technology even with the voice stress analyzer which most agencies don't even use. The Academy of Sciences has also came out against the polygraph. This is due mainly to the fact that the polygraph test is not standardized or replicatable. Two poplygraphist could question the same individual with the same exact questions and come up with separate results. We all know standardization and replication is the measure of good science. The why the SFST's (Standardized field sobriety tests) stand up in court. They were scientifically validated through multiple studies over many years. http://www.nhtsa.gov/people/injury/a...troduction.htm
    Until the polygraph meets these basic scientific requirements it will always be considered voodoo or junk science.

    I passed the polygraph with flying colors for my current agency, but failed one in the past. I'm applying to the Troopers and I intend to go into my examination with a positive attitude and tell the truth. That's all you can do. Yes the test is arbitrary and generally a pain, but we have no choice if we wish to serve the community.

    Oh StateSecurity, my buddy just became an Air Marshal and I asked him how his polygraph went. To my surprise he advised me that the Air Marshals are one of the few federal law enforcement agencies not requiring one. They do an intensive background check and interview, but no poly. Might want to look into that!

    Now to get back on topic has anyone heard how big the September class will be? Are they still talking about 75 cadets?

    Simper Fi
    Last edited by Buckeyeknight; 05-23-2010, 11:19 PM.

    Comment


    • #62
      75 sounds about right. It should be around that for the one in April as well (if plans don't change). So all this talk of the polygraph is kind of worrying me. I have absolutely nothing to hide, I have no problem with spilling my guts. But to me it sounds like sometimes that's not enough? I just passed the PT for Columbus PD, in about a week I go down to OSHP Academy to start the first three phases. The polygraph sounds pretty brutal, should it be a concern?

      Comment


      • #63
        Yeah, when I went down to test that was the number they were throwing around. I do my polygraph in 15 days. Maybe I can find out some more info.

        Comment


        • #64
          Originally posted by uanick View Post
          your crazy talk gives a better reason why you got DQed. On a side note, Tin foil hats are on sale at walmart
          Sorry you can't comprehend my Martian style of communication Unick.... "Everyone", please lower your number of big words for Unick. Walmart also sells personalities,.. .... You really need one.

          Comment


          • #65
            Originally posted by Buckeyeknight View Post
            Hello All,
            I think this thread has gotten a little off topic. My advice to someone having a hard time with a polygraph follows:
            1.) Write a letter requesting the polygraph results.
            2.) Request to have a specific in-depth polygraph.
            The Troopers are good about this from what people tell me. They will provide you with the info you need and should work with you if they think you will be an asset to the Division.

            Yes, there is a lot of scientific evidence that proves there is no validity in the polygraph, unfortunately we have to deal with them to get into most agencies. If I were you I would just keep trying. You will pass some and fail others depending on the mood of the polygraph technician.

            I do agree with Trooperden, in that you cannot know the education and background of the polygraph operator. I have met some of these guys in my time on the job and a lot of them have masters in psychology and other related fields. They are skilled interrogators. So you must have done something to set off their Spidy senses.

            Of course the American Psychological Association has stated there in no scientific validity in the current polygraph technology even with the voice stress analyzer which most agencies don't even use. The Academy of Sciences has also came out against the polygraph. This is due mainly to the fact that the polygraph test is not standardized or replicatable. Two poplygraphist could question the same individual with the same exact questions and come up with separate results. We all know standardization and replication is the measure of good science. The why the SFST's (Standardized field sobriety tests) stand up in court. They were scientifically validated through multiple studies over many years. http://www.nhtsa.gov/people/injury/a...troduction.htm
            Until the polygraph meets these basic scientific requirements it will always be considered voodoo or junk science.

            I passed the polygraph with flying colors for my current agency, but failed one in the past. I'm applying to the Troopers and I intend to go into my examination with a positive attitude and tell the truth. That's all you can do. Yes the test is arbitrary and generally a pain, but we have no choice if we wish to serve the community.

            Oh StateSecurity, my buddy just became an Air Marshal and I asked him how his polygraph went. To my surprise he advised me that the Air Marshals are one of the few federal law enforcement agencies not requiring one. They do an intensive background check and interview, but no poly. Might want to look into that!

            Now to get back on topic has anyone heard how big the September class will be? Are they still talking about 75 cadets?

            Simper Fi
            Great response! Very well said Buckeyeknight.... Your right in that some instructors could very well have masters degrees and real training in psychology.. I overlooked that possibility in all fairness. Thanks for the tip with the Air Marshals. At this point I am trying to rejoin the Military, but will look into all options. I hope you make it with the Troopers, and thanks for your Marine service.

            Comment


            • #66
              I take mine June 22nd. I'm excited and scared all at the same time. I really need this job for my families future. Wish me luck guys!

              Comment


              • #67
                Tell me about, I'm in the same situation.
                Where do you have to go to take it?
                I'm assuming we don't have to bring anything with us to the polygraph as far as paperwork right?
                Looks like we only need everything for the B.I. investigator.
                ~Good Luck

                Comment


                • #68
                  Yeah I'm guessing.
                  When I replied to the email I asked if there were any documents required, but they never responded. Oh I'm taking mine in Columbus.
                  Nothing to do know except hope the poly goes well and continue to PT!

                  Good luck KLS81 hopefully we will be roommates in the September Class!

                  Simper Fi

                  Comment


                  • #69
                    BuckeyeNight and KLS81-

                    When did you guys start the processing? I start June 1, just wondering how quickly things are moving along.

                    Comment


                    • #70
                      Yeah, I'm taking mine in Findlay.
                      I'm hoping for the best as well, until then I'm just gonna keep on my fitness program.

                      Comment


                      • #71
                        testing

                        Originally posted by Buckeye_23 View Post
                        BuckeyeNight and KLS81-

                        When did you guys start the processing? I start June 1, just wondering how quickly things are moving along.
                        Well I started years ago, but I tested at the end of April and then I was contacted for a Polygraph about 4 weeks later.
                        However I was told that anyone begining the process will more then likley be entering the April 2011 class.
                        Good Luck _23!

                        Simper Fi

                        Comment


                        • #72
                          I applied in January 08' and tested April 19th and was contacted by e-mail about 3 weeks later for the polygraph.
                          ~Good Luck

                          Comment


                          • #73
                            Originally posted by Buckeyeknight View Post
                            Well I started years ago, but I tested at the end of April and then I was contacted for a Polygraph about 4 weeks later.
                            However I was told that anyone begining the process will more then likley be entering the April 2011 class.
                            Good Luck _23!

                            Simper Fi
                            Oh alright, thanks for the quick response. That's what I figured, I am fine with that!

                            Comment


                            • #74
                              Originally posted by Buckeye_23 View Post
                              Oh alright, thanks for the quick response. That's what I figured, I am fine with that!
                              Oh, I meant after May. The way she explained it to me anyone beginning testing after May will most likely end up in the April 2011 class. But nothing is for sure. They have a ton of applicants and apparently the class size keeps changing. So who know.
                              Have to wait and see.

                              Simper Fi

                              Comment


                              • #75
                                You lucky dogs! I've applied but am still waiting on my packet. I as well would love to move back to OHIO. I have also taken the corrections assessment and am waiting for them to finish my background check which has been going on for almost 2 months. They only have 3 ppl doing the checks. Maybe i'll be in line for the spring class though. Gotta be optimistic!
                                Work at a summer YMCA- or so it feels like...

                                Comment

                                MR300x250 Tablet

                                Collapse

                                What's Going On

                                Collapse

                                There are currently 11383 users online. 388 members and 10995 guests.

                                Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

                                Welcome Ad

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X