Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Highway Patrol?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #46
    Originally posted by KLS81 View Post
    I'm going June 8th at 8:30 A.M.
    Yeah, it was a pain, had to do alot of digging for some of that info.
    well try to remember everything they ask you so you can give us all a heads up. can't wait to hear how it goes.
    good luck!

    Comment


    • #47
      haha, ok sounds good.
      I'm curious of how many applicants make it to this point. Is it something to get excited about or do most make it to the polygraph?

      Comment


      • #48
        Originally posted by KLS81 View Post
        haha, ok sounds good.
        I'm curious of how many applicants make it to this point. Is it something to get excited about or do most make it to the polygraph?
        It seems like a lot people don't get through the first 3 phases, not sure though.

        Comment


        • #49
          Originally posted by KLS81 View Post
          haha, ok sounds good.
          I'm curious of how many applicants make it to this point. Is it something to get excited about or do most make it to the polygraph?
          I think a lot of people get eliminated by the PT test or don't score well on the written test, but not a ton. I think a good portion of people make it to the polygraph, but the polygraph eliminated a crap load of peeps!! People think they can beat the polygraph and conceal stuff, but it never works. Even if they could beat the poly you still have to beat the instincts of a veteran Officer who knows very well when he is being lied to. So just tell the truth about everything.

          So I babbled a lot there. In my experience Poly and backgrounds eliminates a good chunk of people and then a few are eliminated by the medical assessment for various reasons.

          So when I finish my polygraph and background successfully, then I will get excite!
          Good luck all! Keep us updated!

          B

          Comment


          • #50
            Polygraph

            Originally posted by Buckeyeknight View Post
            I think a lot of people get eliminated by the PT test or don't score well on the written test, but not a ton. I think a good portion of people make it to the polygraph, but the polygraph eliminated a crap load of peeps!! People think they can beat the polygraph and conceal stuff, but it never works. Even if they could beat the poly you still have to beat the instincts of a veteran Officer who knows very well when he is being lied to. So just tell the truth about everything.

            So I babbled a lot there. In my experience Poly and backgrounds eliminates a good chunk of people and then a few are eliminated by the medical assessment for various reasons.

            So when I finish my polygraph and background successfully, then I will get excite!
            Good luck all! Keep us updated!

            B
            The polygraph is junk science. More related to astrology or taro cards than any legitimate truth gathering method. This is why it is not accepted in court. Many good candidates are eliminated by this flawed system and it is sad that good departments still use this. Officers are trained to make the polygraph interrogation a self fulfilling prophecy, making wholly subjective and non scientific judgments about integrity based on a twitch, or perhaps a look. Much like the "so called" implied accusations in the Salem witch trials back in American history. Good luck

            Comment


            • #51
              Yeah, I figured. I didn't know how excited I should get here. I have no experience in the law enforcement hiring process let alone polygraph testing so I'm not really sure what to expect. I know I have nothing to worry about, however I know getting nervous can have a negative effect. The extent of my past are a couple speeding tickets.

              Ken

              Comment


              • #52
                Originally posted by KLS81 View Post
                Yeah, I figured. I didn't know how excited I should get here. I have no experience in the law enforcement hiring process let alone polygraph testing so I'm not really sure what to expect. I know I have nothing to worry about, however I know getting nervous can have a negative effect. The extent of my past are a couple speeding tickets.

                Ken
                They will ask you about a lot more then tickets!

                Everyone gets nervous. Just remember these polygraph guys are skilled interrogators. If you let them they will have you convinced your a serial killer by the end of the interview. Maintain consistency in your answers and don't get into somatic arguments with the examiner. The answers are the answers and asking the same questions in a different ways does not change the facts of the answer.
                Just try to remember your one of the good guys and you will be ok.
                Good luck!
                Let me know how it turns out.

                Simper Fi!

                Comment


                • #53
                  Originally posted by StateSecurity View Post
                  The polygraph is junk science. More related to astrology or taro cards than any legitimate truth gathering method. This is why it is not accepted in court. Many good candidates are eliminated by this flawed system and it is sad that good departments still use this. Officers are trained to make the polygraph interrogation a self fulfilling prophecy, making wholly subjective and non scientific judgments about integrity based on a twitch, or perhaps a look. Much like the "so called" implied accusations in the Salem witch trials back in American history. Good luck
                  Well said StateSecurity!

                  I really don't know why agency's still use it. Statistically the accuracy of a polygraph is less then 30%.
                  I had a friend that did poly backgrounds and he tried to argue that it was 92% accurate with voice stress analysis. He based this on some MIT study. But for every one study you can find supporting polygraphs you can find 10 others proving they are junk.
                  But it is a great intimidation tool for obtaining statements and confessions.
                  It works great on some of the dumber bad guys!

                  Simper Fi!

                  Comment


                  • #54
                    Originally posted by Buckeyeknight View Post
                    Well said StateSecurity!

                    I really don't know why agency's still use it. Statistically the accuracy of a polygraph is less then 30%.
                    I had a friend that did poly backgrounds and he tried to argue that it was 92% accurate with voice stress analysis. He based this on some MIT study. But for every one study you can find supporting polygraphs you can find 10 others proving they are junk.
                    But it is a great intimidation tool for obtaining statements and confessions.
                    It works great on some of the dumber bad guys!

                    Simper Fi!
                    Thanks....I hate to be negative but that is all from personal experience... I have an honest background, military service and was none the less treated like a criminal by CPD. All because I had anxiety after being interrogated for an hour, and subsequently could not keep from breathing heavily. This produced no workable results for the interrogator to interpret. Somehow from this (non information) they deduced that I was being deceptive and intentionally trying to distort the results. I was canned from the process. What a joke. I really wanted to be a cop and serve again in some capacity. The line officers are the real department, who keep the city in order. Good luck to all of you in your endeavors.

                    Comment


                    • #55
                      treated like a criminal, really?

                      Comment


                      • #56
                        Sounds like someone has a chip on their shoulder

                        Comment


                        • #57
                          Originally posted by uanick View Post
                          Sounds like someone has a chip on their shoulder
                          Just relaying the facts, think what you want. Everything was professional in the CPD hiring process until I encountered the background department, and subsequent polygraph and interrogation. I was treated like a criminal, mainly to drive up my level of anxiety and responses to fear. This was not personal, I am guessing. I am sure most candidates go through this. I and many other honest candidates just happen to respond to stress differently. The polygraph deals with a certain degree of psychology and the physiological responses to anxiety, and fear... to measure deception, or integrity. This is deeply flawed. The interrogator does not hold a degree in psychology, and does not understand the flaw of his methodology. He purposelessly instills anxiety, and fear through threats and intimidation, and then blames your physiological responses recorded by the machine on mere deception, or a lack of integrity... In fact, deception in his realm, is the only possible cause of these responses. Truly flawed and unprofessional.

                          Comment


                          • #58
                            well it seems as if you know so much about it. that your response to the stimuli would not have been as great as it was, and if you can't handle this type of stress you have no business being a police officer. You think those poly operators are not trained properly, how do you know what degrees the operators has, something isn't adding up on this. By the way, how is a criminal treated? What does that actually mean?

                            Comment


                            • #59
                              Originally posted by trooperden View Post
                              well it seems as if you know so much about it. that your response to the stimuli would not have been as great as it was, and if you can't handle this type of stress you have no business being a police officer. You think those poly operators are not trained properly, how do you know what degrees the operators has, something isn't adding up on this. By the way, how is a criminal treated? What does that actually mean?
                              Mighty strong, and defensive rhetoric If I knew all of this about the polygraph process before I was interrogated, than I would have understood that it is a immature game and would have not been so trusting, and open minded to their motives. No...sadly I had to find out the hard way, and with a little help from http://antipolygraph.org/ This site confirmed my suspicions about the interrogation process after leaving their office that day. There are government documents provided on this site that support the information gathered, and presented. By the way, your opinion about whether I should be a cop or not, is based on ignorance and not facts, so I couldn't care less. You know nothing about me. A few simple online posts are not definitive of my character, integrity, or law enforcement abilities.

                              Comment


                              • #60
                                your crazy talk gives a better reason why you got DQed. On a side note, Tin foil hats are on sale at walmart

                                Comment

                                MR300x250 Tablet

                                Collapse

                                What's Going On

                                Collapse

                                There are currently 4485 users online. 232 members and 4253 guests.

                                Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

                                Welcome Ad

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X