300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is going to start a riot!!!!!

OSP's slogan should be this... OHIO STATE POLICE, WE'RE THE REASON OHIO OFFICERS WHO GET STOPPED IN OTHER STATES GET TICKETS!!!!!!

1st experience with OSP, driving the sheriff and I to a conference in Columbus in his unmarked vic.. I was speeding, 73 in a 65.. My bad, I would take a ticket anyday and not complain.. However, what I won't deal with is clean shaven pogue who looks like he's 12 chewing my *** on the side of a highway threatening me with a ticket.

Trooper: So what would your supervisor say if you got a ticket for speeding?

Me: I suppose he would advise me to pay it.

Sheriff butt's in: No, I would pay it out of my commisary and write it off as a training session on how not to be to the public.. If you have any complaints about my deputies driving, walk over to my window and we can discuss the issue..

Trooper: I will be right back with you, im sure my license was checked, etc, etc..

The above was after a 8 minute school on how speeding is dangerous, reckless, etc, etc..

2nd encounter: I was riding shotgun with one of the investigators to wright pat to get some equipment.
    Stopped in his unmarked vic, because the back led bar "impeeded his vision".
    It's barely an inch thick and is designed specifically for a crown vic..

3rd Encounter: I was in my fully marked unit on I 70 coming back from columbus.. I came across a 3 vehicle accident with only 1 troop on the scene.. I switch my lights on, grab my traffic vest and walk up to him and ask if I can help until more units arrive.. He chews my ***** because my lights are on and im out of my state and jurisdiction...

I worked for a dept that bordered Ohio in Indiana at this time.. I assisted ohio agencies numerous times with my K-9, during pursuits, etc, etc with not 1 bad experience.
    Deal with 3 troopers and all 3 strike out!!! Not to mention every other horror story I've heard OSP and how they deal with the public and officers from other jurisdictions..

I don't think all of the troops can be like that can they??

So for all you new troops or troops in the academy, treat everyone with respect!! Doesn't matter if their police officers or not!!!
    "If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck"

Comment

• Start a riot? Surely you jest. Would like to hear the other side of the conversation though. Going to a conference with the boss sitting next to you, while speeding, how safe or smart is that?? Seems like you have issues, might try looking in your rear view mirror and I can guarantee you this is not coming from some clean shaven "pogue" who looks like 12.

Comment

• Troopers are all brainwashed. The governer has been talking about getting rid of the department and should immediately. Especially with as much bad press as they have been getting anyways. Sure they can run faster, and wear a 32 inch waist, but they definately win in the "Everyone hates us" category. They arent even real peace officers.

(with this being said i have two good friends that work for osp )
        sigpic

No, maybe I can't win, maybe the only thing I can do is just take everything he's got. But to beat me, he's gonna have to kill me, and to kill me, he's gonna have to have the heart to stand in front of me, and to do that, he's gotta be willing to die himself and I don't know if he's ready to do that. I don't know, I don't know.
        Rocky Balboa
        Rocky IV (1985)

Id rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6

Comment

• Trooperden, your absolutely right, as most troopers always are!!! 8 miles over the limit, I suppose you haven't seen how people drive and react when there's a squad on the freeway! How people slam on their breaks, start flying by you then realize its a police car!! Breaks are hit twice as hard as they need to be, driver swerves in front of other cars to get in the slow lane.. I always, always go 5 to 8 miles over the limit so I don't get a traffic jam near me, which is far more dangerous than me traveling 8 over..

As far as saying I have issues, what would make you state that? I voiced my experiences with OSP troopers and all of a sudden I have issues?

What about the troops that passed me on a regular basis, that were traveling well over the speed limit without their emergency lights on?

You just proved my point to everyone reading this forum who were either disagreeing with me or agreeing with me..

I man enough to admit my faults, I HAVE SPED, I have ran a stop sign or two in my police car, I have made mistakes, I am only human..

I would have gladly taken, paid and forgot about that 8mph over ticket if he had written it. I'm not special because I'm a police officer or I was in a unit.

I was referring to that hostile attitude and I'm better than thou art attitude that I encountered from OSP troops..

Again you proved my point by your comments..

Comment

• K9krazy21. I am not a trooper but hope to be one day. Not all troopers are bad eggs. I have never ran into a trooper that acted like that with me, but I am not saying there are not some guys out there that act like that. I have never had any big run-ins with law enforcement but from the experiences I have had and have observed there are just as many if not more officers in city police and sheriffs departments that act disrespectful also. That being said. This thread was started for future troopers to discuss any questions they have about their recruitment process. I am not interested in how much you hate the OSHP. If it bothers you that bad maybe you should call the HQ and voice your opinion and give them advise on how to be the perfect cop. Then one day when I am (hopefully) in the academy I will be taught the way of K9krazy21.

Comment

• Originally posted by smk80 View Post
              K9krazy21. I am not a trooper but hope to be one day. Not all troopers are bad eggs. I have never ran into a trooper that acted like that with me, but I am not saying there are not some guys out there that act like that. I have never had any big run-ins with law enforcement but from the experiences I have had and have observed there are just as many if not more officers in city police and sheriffs departments that act disrespectful also. That being said. This thread was started for future troopers to discuss any questions they have about their recruitment process. I am not interested in how much you hate the OSHP. If it bothers you that bad maybe you should call the HQ and voice your opinion and give them advise on how to be the perfect cop. Then one day when I am (hopefully) in the academy I will be taught the way of K9krazy21.

SMK80, I don't recall ever saying I hate OSP troops or the OSP. I stated what my experience with them was.

As far as this PUBLIC thread, I never observed any restrictions as to who could post on this topic anywhere.

I also believe that I posted that I have made mistakes, maybe you should have your eyesight checked before you apply or continue pursuing employment with a police agency.. I would hate for you to be dq'd for something like that friend..

I'm sure your 100% right when you say that not all of them are bad apples, again I only stated my 3 experiences with OSP troops. In fact, every dept. has their turds!!

I would never call and complain on a fellow officer unless I was punched in the face for no reason, I stated I would have taken a ticket and that would have been the end of it.

As far as your not interested in reading what I have to say, then don't.. Get use to seeing, hearing and being involved in numerous things that you don't like if you get hired in law enforcement.

I am a very good instructor by the way, I have been complimented numerous times by agencies and officers I helped train. I'm by no means perfect and my way isn't the gospel and I tell everyone I train that as well..

As far as the perfect officer, there isn't one...

We (actual police officers) work the streets every day to help make sure the rights of citizens are upheld and protected. One of these rights is freedom of speech which I enjoy too. So until that right is taken away, I will continue to freely express my opinion on things. Even if some people don't agree with them, I have earned that right not only because I'm a police officer, but by being deployed to both OEF and OIF.

Comment

• I will reread all this as soon as I play "How Great Thou Art" on the other hand, back to the golf course

Comment

• My eyesight is great. Had it checked for the initial hiring phase. Thanks for your concern. Lets move on to something else.

Comment

• Originally posted by trooperden View Post
                    the clock is ticking, so many applicants, so few will make it, even less will graduate, Only the strong survive, we'll see, time will tell, the mind must be as strong as the body
                    Dude, please give it a rest. I was sworn L.E. in Ohio for a certain large Central Ohio department for years before I left for the feds.....and I've not only seen you guys in action, but also observed you troopers' demeanors first-hand. OSP's biggest problem is not their uniforms, training, or equipment (which is excellent); It's the foolish mentality I've seen from Ohio troopers time and time again. It's because they fall in love with their own "legend"..... lots of swagger and lots of arrogance. Furthermore, per the Ohio Revised Code, OSP is NOT the premier or rankling law enforcement authority in Ohio. That falls to the county sheriff. OSP only in recent years has started providing actual OPOTA certification to it's troopers. You are HIGHWAY PATROL and not STATE POLICE. Not many of you guys like to broadcast that, do you?

No, I'm not a disgruntled trooper or a speeder who got hemmed up by OSP. But after reading this kind of nonsense, the total arrogance of your posts aught to be put in check.......
                    Last edited by QuietPro; 10-20-2010, 08:33 AM.
                    Just another squirrel, tryin' to get a nut......

Comment

• Originally posted by QuietPro View Post
                      Dude, please give it a rest. I was sworn L.E. in Ohio for a certain large Central Ohio department for years before I left for the feds.....and I've not only seen you guys in action, but also observed you troopers' demeanors first-hand. OSP's biggest problem is not their uniforms, training, or equipment (which is excellent); It's the foolish mentality I've seen from Ohio troopers time and time again. It's because they fall in love with their own "legend"..... lots of swagger and lots of arrogance. Furthermore, per the Ohio Revised Code, OSP is NOT the premier or rankling law enforcement authority in Ohio. That falls to the county sheriff. OSP only in recent years has started providing actual OPOTA certification to it's troopers. You are HIGHWAY PATROL and not STATE POLICE. Not many of you guys like to broadcast that, do you?

No, I'm not a disgruntled trooper or a speeder who got hemmed up by OSP. But after reading this kind of nonsense, the total arrogance of your posts aught to be put in check.......

Just curious but why do you think they act this way? I dont know a whole of of troopers but the few I do know are cool guys. I am trying to get hired on and am in no way the personality type that you described troopers of being. Sounds like a lot of the troopers you know have the little guy "napoleon syndrome" attitude. I have noticed a lot of troopers are height challenged. Oh well I know what I am getting into for the most part and hope to get the chance.

Comment

Just curious but why do you think they act this way? I dont know a whole of of troopers but the few I do know are cool guys. I am trying to get hired on and am in no way the personality type that you described troopers of being. Sounds like a lot of the troopers you know have the little guy "napoleon syndrome" attitude. I have noticed a lot of troopers are height challenged. Oh well I know what I am getting into for the most part and hope to get the chance.
                        As I said- Trooper Arrogance/Ego is my reasoning. The tone of posts that trooperden is making, I feel, re-enforces my point. I do not post lightly about bashing another agency; in fact I've never done it till now. But after what I've seen with my own two eyes, and read above as well, I'm convinced in my opinion. "Napoleon Syndrome?" Possibly....My post really had nothing to do with their height. I've met and talked to officers with several different departments in Ohio. But OSP troopers in particular often seem to forget one of Peel's basic principles of policing- That we are PART of the people, we SERVE the people; "The people are the police and the police are the people." Too often I have seen the "above all others" attitude, the holier-than-thou.

k9krazy21's observations are pretty accurate- the "smell me" attitude that I've seen most troopers exhibit. Lawenforcer72's comments carry a ring of truth to them, also. If you want to be a trooper, smk80, then go for it! But remember who you are, and who you TRULY work for- the community. Your badge nor your campaign hat will not stop bullets, nor will they make your member bigger or your breast size larger.
                        Just another squirrel, tryin' to get a nut......

Comment

• ya win some and you lose some, life goes on, all departments have issues and their personnel included, nice to know you select few can determine my habits or attitudes with just these small posting, compared to 30 years service and having been retired 19 years now, it is this petty crap that just makes me so glad to be retired, gosh 12 checks a year for 19 years already and you boys are still working, be safe out there, hope ya make till retirement

Comment

Just curious but why do you think they act this way? I don't know a whole of of troopers but the few I do know are cool guys. I am trying to get hired on and am in no way the personality type that you described troopers of being. Sounds like a lot of the troopers you know have the little guy "napoleon syndrome" attitude. I have noticed a lot of troopers are height challenged. Oh well I know what I am getting into for the most part and hope to get the chance.
                            I'm gonna have to agree with QuietPro an the others. Troopers have a bad public face. Other agencies and citizens generally have less then fantastic interactions with Ohio State Troopers. SMK80 if you don't fit their mold and are not willing to hammer down the letter of the law (not the spirit) then you will most likely not be hired. They are pretty good about finding young impressionable people they can mold into their type of Law Enforcement Officer. They do traffic enforcement and they do it well, but they generally do behave in an undiplomatic manner. Years ago I was stopped and given a written warning for speed by a Trooper who was very professional and cordial. However she was a veteran of many years. I think most of the bad experience comes from younger cocky Troopers that think they are God's gift to police work. I'm pretty sure most citizens of Ohio don't want to be lectured to by a 24 year old kid. Be Humble. We as law enforcement serve as a public trust to the people. We must always be vigilant to insure that our actions, attitude, and bearing never betrays or tarnishes that trust. Be worthy and proud of the badge you wear. The second you start thinking you are better then the public is the second you will be sued, fired, or worse. Be humble, be humble, be humble.

I would recommend that the ODPS lengthen the Trooper probation period to at least one year riding with a training Officer. Then that veteran Officer has more time to impart the necessary wisdom to insure good public service. Besides the current probationary period is too short. Most POST states require at least 18 months. Rumor has it that OPOTA may be revamping in the future to something similar to POST Certifying states.

Oh and he is right the County Sheriffs are Ohio's primary Law Enforcement Authority! The Ohio revised code has never provided for a State Police force. The State Attorney General has never made any ruling on whether the Highway Patrol has authority as the State's primary law enforcement body.
                            So we should downsize the Highway Patrol and create a State Police Agency with a centralized head quarters in Columbus and State wide authority. They should give the Troopers a chance to apply like everyone else, but the governing board be made up of Sheriff's, Police Chiefs, but no Troopers. Anyone agree?
                            Last edited by Buckeyeknight; 10-20-2010, 05:26 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by KLS81 View Post
                              Well I got the call. I will be on my way to the academy on Sunday.
                              Congratulations KLS81! I'm glad you got in brother. Let me know who many quit for them to call you!?
                              Hey don't get brain washed. Remember we are Public Servants!

Semper Fi

Comment

• Again, my point is proven!!

I don't believe anyone singled you out!!

Typical wording and attitude of some of the troopers I've dealt with.

The majority of us who have posted on this subject have been in law enforcement for all our lives, Yet you say "boys" when replying to this thread.

It is the petty crap I deal with on a daily basis that makes me realize how much I'm blessed with and I believe it also makes me a better officer.

I don't know whether im thrilled or saddened by what you have added to this conversation. I would think that a man with so many years experience, would come up with a wise reply and offer some insight to someone who has had bad experiences with your former agency. All you have done is proved my point every single post you have posted.

I'm happy for you that your retired, I wish you many many more checks from the state.

I also thank you for your service in a selfless job my brother.

I would still protect you with everything I have, up to my dying breathe If you were ever in trouble and I responded.

I fear the above statement is forgotten by alot of officers today, not just troopers.

We are a small family, this was never about special privilages just for being an officer or skating on tickets.. It was about, being the best officer one can be and be a human being towards other.

KLS81, congratulations.. Never loose track of the fact that without the public, we are nothing. Walk lightly but carry a big stick. When someone needs help, give them your everything. When someone is trying to hurt you, give them your everything. I try and debrief myself after every shift. I run through the calls and stops and ask myself this question. If I had encountered an officer for the same reason, would I want to be treated as well as I treated them?

I'm done with this topic, on to better things.. Stay safe

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 14755 users online. 436 members and 14319 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X