Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've worked at FedEx Ground for a few years, I just became a delivery driver this past week, I will make a lot more money and I enjoy it...for now. There are many opportunities and has the potential to make very good money, but do I want to do it as a career, absolutely not. My heart is set on Law Enforcement, it's not the highest paying career but I don't care about that, I wanna love going in to work every single day and I want to help as many people as I can because I care. I know that sounds cliche but that's who I am. I'm the type of person that if I witnessed an accident or drove past a burning home I would go and help to the best of my ability.

As far as OSHP, it's the organization I want to work for. If it doesn't work out, then yes there are plenty of other agencies, but I don't want to go through life regretting that I tossed OSHP to the curb. If I somehow get denied by them I will be upset, but I will look elsewhere. Maybe it's a huge gamble but it's one I'm willing to take. My girlfriend and I want to get married soon and I finally have a job that makes that possible, she 100% supports my decision to be a trooper and will be with me all the way. If it does take a few years, which is what I am expecting, so be it, I think it will be worth the wait.

Comment

• Good attitude Buckeye_23!
      If you are dedicated to public service then you should apply to every agency that is hiring and start building a resume. The more training and experience you accumulate the more marketable you are. Not to mention more convictions! Prosecutors look at the training and experience of the arresting Officers. If you write a bad report by not articulating elements of the crime the suspect will walk. Not to mention that training and experience is what will keep you alive on the streets. Learning what to ask when to ask and how to find information is all part of those skills built in the field. Get on the job some where and start building your knowledge base now! For example my Department is sending me off to DRE school next month to expand my experience.
      Also, if you haven't done this already get into a martial art. Every agencies will train you in self defense, but it doesn't hurt to know a little extra. Might save you or your partners life.

Law Enforcement is a complicated profession with a lot of options. I hope you don't have to wait 2 years. I hope the OSHP lets you know before that happens. Do lots of research and look into where you want to live and the kind of police work you want to do. I'm sure you will be successful no matter where you end up. I think any agency would be lucky to have you.
      Good Luck,
      Semper Fi
      Last edited by Buckeyeknight; 09-04-2010, 11:11 PM.

Comment

• Has anyone heard any news on an academy date?

Comment

• Originally posted by KLS81 View Post
          Has anyone heard any news on an academy date?
          Nope. Not very organized. They are at the mercy of the state budget geeks. So might as well continue to look elsewhere while you wait. Let me know if you hear anything.

Comment

• Just got a status update phone call.
            Class is a go for Oct. 13th, however it was now cut back to 55.
            I was also told I wasn't one of the 55 and I'm on a stand-by list incase someone drops.
            What a kick in the balls!!!

Comment

• Oh man, was it cut from 75? That sucks that the class was downsized but at least it's going to be starting this year, that would only push the future classes behind further if it started next year.

Comment

• I was told it was originally supposed to be for around 100, then 82, then 70, now 55.

Comment

• Sheesh, that's quite a cut. Man...this is gonna be a longer wait then I thought, probably another few years for me.

Comment

• Originally posted by KLS81 View Post
                    Just got a status update phone call.
                    Class is a go for Oct. 13th, however it was now cut back to 55.
                    I was also told I wasn't one of the 55 and I'm on a stand-by list incase someone drops.
                    What a kick in the balls!!!
                    Wow! You called it. What a kick in the balls indeed. I'm still waiting, but I'm already looking else where. Maybe if the economic situation improves they will have a class next year. Or if something happen in the up coming elections. Remember all incumbents must go! LOL
                    I for one have already began to apply to other agencies. I love Police work. I love serving my community, but I don't need a Trooper badge to do it. I will serve the public trust in any capacity.
                    Good luck to all you guy in your future endeavors. I hope you are all hired soon by agency of your choice.
                    Good luck!
                    As always Semper Fi!

Comment

• I found out some more info when I spoke with HR.
                      The class size is 55 and is going to be on Oct. 13th. The stand-by list is 13 applicants long and 36 applicants were deferred until the next class.
                      Hopefully some people don't show or drop out during the first week.

Comment

• some will not show, and some will drop at the academy, especially during the first month

Comment

• That's what i'm hoping for. Although they have to drop within the first week of the academy for me to get the call or I will miss too much. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that i'm near the top of the list. They couldn't tell me where I was.
                          I'll be ready though if I get the call.
                          HR sounded optimistic about getting a call to go.

Comment

• I have no idea when I'll get to process, it probably won't be for the next class after this one. I applied in September of 09 and tested June of this year, so who knows. I'm waiting it out though, I have got to be patient.

Comment

• Yeah, they aren't sure when the next class is going to be after the 150th. The 151st will probably be filled with applicants that were supposed to be in the 150th. Who knows though, when that comes around people may have found other employment. You never know.

Comment

• Well, I applied back in March. I just now got my packet in the mail and have to go to the academy next month to do some testing. Even though I'm hoping to get on with Iowa. Ohio is one of my backups. Just think, Iowa is only looking to hire a MAX of 28 people for their DPS. which includes, Iowa State Patrol, Division of Narcotics, Division of Criminal Investigation, State Fire Marshal and Administrative services. So likely I will get on with the DCI if hired. Even though being an Ohio State Trooper is what I really want, it's not exactly in the cards. I think everything will work out the way they are supposed to in time. But as said before, keep applying for what interests you and works for you in your life. I for one have also applied for Missouri but they just closed that hiring process. good luck to all.
                                Work at a summer YMCA- or so it feels like...

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 18379 users online. 470 members and 17909 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X