300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OPOTA Firearms certification

I am wondering if go through an approved OPOTA Police Academy and you don't pass the PT portion do you keep the certification for the firearms training that you have done or do you loose that as I am looking into armed security work until I can go back to school next year?

yes you do keep it. You should get a cert at the end of the academy saying you completed the firearms portion.
    sigpic

No, maybe I can't win, maybe the only thing I can do is just take everything he's got. But to beat me, he's gonna have to kill me, and to kill me, he's gonna have to have the heart to stand in front of me, and to do that, he's gotta be willing to die himself and I don't know if he's ready to do that. I don't know, I don't know.
    Rocky Balboa
    Rocky IV (1985)

Id rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6

Comment

Thanks for the reply now I can start applying for some of these positions

Comment

I would check with OPTOA. If you don't pass the PT standard you won't be finishing the academy and may get nothing in the end. Police and security certifications from OPOTA are two different animals.

Comment

I would think that you get to keep the firearms portion if you took it and passed, howver I would call them to be sure.

Comment

yeah i remember when i went through the academy we received our firearms certificate before the academy was over.
            I don't have to be careful. I got a gun.

Comment

Yes, as long as you passed the firearms section of the academy you should get a certificate for that.

In the state of Ohio a certified corrections officer cannot carry (on-duty only) a firearm unless they have taken a firearms (40 hours I believe unless it recently changed) course. The firearms section in an academy meets those requirements even if you do not complete the rest of the academy. I know this from personal experience with a co-worker.

If you are looking into security a reasonable person would think that the firearms qualifications you took for a police academy would more than cover or equal those required of armed security. The place you are seeking employment should be well versed in this area and will be able to tell you 100% if this is the case.

Work on your PT and pass it. You've put in too much time and effort to let it go to waste by now passing the PT standards. Good luck to you.
              In God we trust. All others we run NCIC.

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem."
              PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN, 1985

Comment

Thanks for the input everyone I will be giving OPOTA a call Monday and asking them and I do plan on returning to the academy after I find a job so that I can pay my bills because being a police officer is what I wanna be.

Comment

Even if you DONT pass the PT portion of OPOTA you still get a certificate of completion of the academy. Just because you didnt pass the physical test does not mean you still did not sit and put the time in to pass the mental portion and all of the training excercises. By failing OPOTA PT test all it means is that you cannot sit in for the State Test which is pretty much the whole point of going through OPOTA. Everything you completed, Firearms, Defensive Tactics, the alcohol testing/ntsa training, and if you got lidar/radar cert in your academy you keep that and get a certificate for it. Heck most academies will give you a certificate of completion of an OPOTA academy. You just cant test.
                  sigpic

No, maybe I can't win, maybe the only thing I can do is just take everything he's got. But to beat me, he's gonna have to kill me, and to kill me, he's gonna have to have the heart to stand in front of me, and to do that, he's gotta be willing to die himself and I don't know if he's ready to do that. I don't know, I don't know.
                  Rocky Balboa
                  Rocky IV (1985)

Id rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6

Comment

I called OPOTA Tuesday and the person that I talked to told me that my firearms certification does not transfer because I did not pass the PT test so I will have to attend a firearms training that is only 20 hrs in length to get a security firearms certification. I don't agree with this because I have attended ore hours in an OPOTA firearms class than some 20 hrs.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10768 users online. 515 members and 10253 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X