300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Money for Ohio awarded?

I just saw this posted in another state forum. It looks like Columbus & a few other cities in Ohio were awarded money for hiring more officers (if I a m reading it correctly).

http://www.cops.usdoj.gov/pdf/chrp_report.pdf

Cops Hiring Recovery Program - Columbus 50 officers awarded ($12,742,800).
    Anyone able to comment on this? Is this for more classes?

Found some additional info for Columbus:

http://www.dispatch.com/live/content...s.html?sid=101

Comment

Which is great but will be very unhelpful if/when this tax issue fails next week. If it passes it'll be for a new class, if it fails they may spare a few of us from the layoffs.

Comment

With a little faith, the tax increase passes, any guess on when they will start a new class? Will they start one immediately or wait until January? Also, thanks to all of you who are still serving through these terrible times in Columbus.

Comment

Originally posted by JKralC104 View Post
          Which is great but will be very unhelpful if/when this tax issue fails next week. If it passes it'll be for a new class, if it fails they may spare a few of us from the layoffs.
          Good luck, I hope you dont get laid off. Ive been off three months now and its killing me!!

Comment

I'm living off a retirement fund myself - only 4 or 5 months left & then I am out. And trust me, it feels like there are no jobs in Columbus for the average person. I am praying that tax passes. Hopefully people realize what the city will become if it doesn't pass.

Comment

Thanks midwest, I can't imagine what a time you are having.

I really am not too optimistic about the situation. Many citizens are pro police and fire but not so hot on the mayor, city counsil, and their spending habits.

The problem with the COPS grant is that it is only for salary and benefits cost. The city would still need to come up with the money for the actual administrative hiring costs, uniforms, etc. Overtime costs and pay grade increases are also not included in the grant language.

As far as saving jobs goes, since the people it would prevent from being laid off are nearing top pay, the number of layoffs avoided with the fund would probably be closer to 30ish... Really not that impressive in the grand scheme of things.

Comment

I would be really curious to see how this COPS grant plays into the income tax vote. People aren't very bright, and I imagine there are _A LOT_ of people right now thinking "oh good they got 12 million, they don't need the income tax anymore" not at all realizing how 12 million doesn't really go that far..
                Seriously, the only reason I wanted to be a cop was so I could post anywhere on this forum.

Comment

If the tax does not pass, then I believe that the DOPS is projecting that the COPS money will keep approximately 50 people on the job who would have been laid off.
                  Lighten up Francis!

Comment

Tired Of Taxes

I think people are just tired of paying more taxes. That last time I checked, I had paid 48.9% of my gross income to some kind of tax. The biggest problem is that most of these cities just spent like drunken sailors on shore leave during the good years of the Bush administration instead of saving for a rainy day. City administrators feel that if they don't spend every penny of what they get that they will not be able to justify more money the next year. If these clowns ran their personal finances like they do the taxpayer's, they would be living out on the street.. Not to mention that the head of the U. S. Treasury is a tax cheat himself!! These politicians keep taking more tax money from the working man to buy votes for themselves. If they would stop rewarding bad behavior and punishing achievement, there would be plenty of money for safety forces.
                    I MAY NOT ALWAYS PLAY FAIR, BUT I DON'T ALWAYS LOSE EITHER......

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8336 users online. 366 members and 7970 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X