300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some Hope for Columbus PD?

Found this article in the dispatch. First time this year I have heard anything mentioned about classes (was a VERY small line in the article).

"Most of the projected increase - $17.4 million - would be spent to restart classes of police and fire recruits. An additional $4.2 million would cover higher health-care costs."

http://www.dispatch.com/live/content...s.html?sid=101

Do you really think this tax is going to pass? Every resident I've talked to lately (not a huge sample I admit) seems determined to vote it down, not because they dislike police or fire, but because they believe Coleman is very vague on how exactly the money is going to be spent. Also I heard it said that if/when the economy ever returns to something near normal the tax will never go back to the original rate. The feeling is times are tough for everyone so why cant the public safety/government workers cut back on salary benefits like many many other people. I'm not saying this is my opinion, just the gist of what I hear. But I will say that I'm not holding my breath that even if it does pass that I'll be starting the academy anytime soon. By the way, does anyone know if us Nov '06 are going to expire on the list in January or will there be an extension?

Comment

I'm sorry, that was Nov '07 testers

Comment

Do you have your letter of conditional offer? I was talking to my BI about that because I expire in FEB '10 and there have not been any talks of an extension yet! This being said everyone is counting on the income tax and there are no contract negotions until the Aug 4 vote is over. The extension is up to the civil service and Im sure IF there is one we would not hear until last minute! Some seem to think those of us with a letter are in a better seat, but again thats opinion. I would keep applying other places in the mean time.

Comment

Yeah I have my letter. Ive tested with Akron and just waiting to see how many they hire, depending on budget/stimulus/retirements/politics etc. same old story.
          The problem is that there just isn't many places to test with right now. (that are going to hire more than one or two) Do you happen to know if Columbus has ever extended eligilibility lists in the past?

Comment

I don't know how much faith you want to put in this, but a few months ago I called civil service directly at the number that was listed on the letter I got with my original test results for the written. The gentleman who answered more or less told me that if I had already received a conditional offer that I really didn't need to worry about it being let expire. That being said, I'm still just as nervous as everyone else.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10558 users online. 534 members and 10024 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X