300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going to the Academy!

Hello everyone! I just wanted to get some information about what I should expect from the OPOTA Academy at Polaris career center. I am starting as of September of this year. I am a former MP with the Marines as you can tell from my screen name. I am very fit still and just wanted to know about what to expect. What do I need to know? Any tips? Any help would be appreciated. I am also planning to write a log of my everyday activities. Let me know if this is something that would be appreciated. Thanks all.
    "Naw officer, I was hanging with my cousin"

"Sooo, real cousin or play cousins ?"

Originally posted by JasperST
    I'm thinking a battalion of menstruating bearded women could kick some serious booty!

If you are footing the bill for the academy, I would STRONGLY reconsider. The private academies/school academies will cover basic OPOTA instruction and are fairly laid back. With your military experience, you will have little issue keeping squared away.

Comment

Well here's the issue, I need to work. I have some bills I need to pay to keep my sparkling credit score up and the hours work really well for me. I know a good deal about police work to help me there and I have been extensively reviewing the ORC so I won't be behind the 8-ball so to speak. I really want to work somewhere metro where I feel I can actually make a difference. I just need some tips to help with academy life. Any would be appreciated. Thank you.

I'm thinking a battalion of menstruating bearded women could kick some serious booty!

Comment

Unfortunately, unless you beat over 200 applicants for an interview, you'll have to pay for the academy yourself. I don't know anything about the Polaris Academy, but they're mostly all the same. You're a Marine, so you should have no problems. Just make sure to get lots of sleep for days you have to cover ORC and boring subjects.

In the meantime, I would suggest calling the Cleveland Civil Service hotline (so they can inform you of testing), and take as many civil service tests as possible. I would also begin putting together a package you can present to potential employers. It should contain a resume, contacts, DD-214, training certificates, copy of ID/birth certificate/SS card, etc... If you can get your commander to write a referral letter informing employers you are currently in the academy, that would be a bonus.

Good luck to you.

Comment

Unfortunately, now is not a good time to try to get into police work in Ohio. If you want to work a large metro area, they will send you to their own academy. As far as metro areas go, Cleveland and Toledo have laid off numerous officers, Cinci and Columbus are talking about laying off numerous officers and Dayton is understrength, so no lay offs but no new hires anytime soon.

After you graduate, your best bet is to get on as a dollar a year guy at some township or village as a way to keep your commission until you can get a full time job, which can take quite awhile. Due to open enrollment, there is a glut of certified peace officers in Ohio and many of them don't/can't get sworn in before their one year grace period is up.

With your background, you shouldn't have a problem with any academy.

Dayton just announced they are laying off nine officers. Based on what is going on with the city and the FOP, I think it is just the city f-ing with the FOP, but they are still gonna be gone.
          Last edited by just joe; 07-08-2009, 01:29 PM.

Comment

Don't listen to the "Ohio doesn't have jobs people". I work for 2 departments, and have turned down 4 others in a short time span. If you search for jobs, and don't wait for them to get put in the paper (because vary rarely do they get put in the paper), you'll find something.
            What is the sign for "I'm choking to death"?

Comment

I hope you're looking at collecting your GI Bill benefits for this? It is $1321 a month for the entire duration you're in school. If you need info, shoot me a pm and I'll provide you details as how to go about getting it started.

Comment

Big Brother
                You say you work for two departments and turned down two others. Do you work full time? In the state I currently work you cannot hold a commission in multiple jurisdictions if you are full time.

I would love to move back to Ohio, but there seems to be no full time work that I could support my family. What areas do you recommend that I look. I try and read multiple online Ohio publications daily. I am from the Youngstown area and I see nothing, unless I want to work for nothing. I do not want to sound cocky, but I have 13 years experience as a State Trooper(state police not just traffic) and I can not find anything, unless I want to settle for part time work.

Comment

yeah there isnt much in the youngstown area, if any. most of the big cities(if not all) are laying off officers and the outlying suburbs are hiring like 1 here and there.

pretty soon i am going to start looking to other states, but hesitant because i really dont want to go through a whole academy again if i can help it.
                  I don't have to be careful. I got a gun.

Comment

Yes, two part times, and the details. I love the details - money, money, money! I'm not going to go into a dollar amount, but Im sure I do just as well as any full-timer.

If you read the paper, you're only going to see a job every month or two. If you create a package and send them to all the local departments, you'll get tons of responses.

Part-time in law enforcement is a payrate, not maximum work hours. I may not get paid as much as a full-timer, but like I said, I take details, and put in my hours (between both departments I do a minimum of 52 hrs per week), and I cannot complain in the least.

Something I try to remember in every life situation is you only have 2 choices most of the time 1. Cut your losses and start over or 2. Work with what you've got.

In this line of work, you've got to do things the way they ask you to, and make it work for you, or don't do it at all. You've been in Law Enforcement longer than I've been out of highschool, so I apologize for telling you what you already know, but sometimes a reminder doesn't hurt.

Comment

[QUOTE=BigBrother;1895182]
                      If you read the paper, you're only going to see a job every month or two. If you create a package and send them to all the local departments, you'll get tons of responses.QUOTE]

What do you mean by a package? Like a resume and some other supporting documents?

Comment

Originally posted by USMARINE View Post

What do you mean by a package? Like a resume and some other supporting documents?
                        Exactly! Infact, I recieved another inquiry today, since we're on the topic.

Basically I created an information package so that I could send it out to any department in Ohio, without having to drive to each and every agency to pick up a resume. Saves time, effort and money. My package contains:

- Cover letter
                        - Resume
                        - List of Contacts (professional, personal, neighbors, schools, employment)
                        - DD-214 (military Discharge)
                        - College transcript
                        - OPOTA Cert / Recommendation from Commander
                        - Applicable Training Certifications
                        - Copy of HS Diploma
                        - Copy of ID / Birth Certificate / SS
                        - Any additional info they may need

I actually provide more information than most applications contain. My reason for this is 1. they'll see Im being honest and upfront and 2. it may peak their interest and make me stand out.

If a department is interested, I normally recieve a letter similar to this (quote from todays letter):

" Dear Mr. _________"
                        You submitted a resume for a police position with _________, in order to recieve further consideration you must complete an application for employment.
                        [Body regarding specifics of department, wage, training]
                        Applications can be picked up at _________ hall... Thank you for your interest in employment with ________PD."

If someone says "there's no jobs" would you rather take their word for it or find out for yourself? There are jobs, you just have to make the effort to look for them. I just started looking up all the departments by county and mailing apps, I think I submitted around 120 total. Now I get contacted all the time. Although I'm working, it's nice to know what my options are.

If you need any help creating a package, you can PM me.

Comment

lol i bet your working for minimum wage too. If your in to that might as well work at krogers as a security guard, in my neck of the woods coming from a smaller department is often looked down upon.

But good luck to everyone, 2010 doesnt look to be great but you can nab a decent job if you really try. especially with military experience.

LEARN SPANISH
                          sigpic

No, maybe I can't win, maybe the only thing I can do is just take everything he's got. But to beat me, he's gonna have to kill me, and to kill me, he's gonna have to have the heart to stand in front of me, and to do that, he's gotta be willing to die himself and I don't know if he's ready to do that. I don't know, I don't know.
                          Rocky Balboa
                          Rocky IV (1985)

Id rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6

Comment

I know what you mean, it obviously will be tough but I believe I got what it takes to beat a fair amount of candidates. I don't speak much spanish, but I speak alot of Greek, German and some Macedonian. Taught myself

Comment

Well the date draws closer. I'm getting fingerprinted this coming monday for my barckground check and I have the first class meeting on the 20th. Academy starts on the 21st of September. As I posted in another thread that only got one reply, I will post a sort of log of events as they occur about the academy. I hope it will help someone who thinks about attending this academy or another here in Ohio.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4357 users online. 179 members and 4178 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X