300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More Columbus PD cuts coming?

I saw a news report at 5:00 on WSYX6 that Chief Distelzweig will be turning in a budget tomorrow (5/25) for Columbus Police. According to the report they will be making cuts to the police budget immediately.

Not sure if anyone has any more info on the cuts? Is this to force the income tax increase in August? I'm not sure there will even be any classes in 2010 at this rate.

Thanks for the heads up. I'll have to look for this info tomorrow. Looks grim for more classes.

Comment

i'm assuming that they will just not replace retirements as that would be the cuts as well as eliminating more programs.

Comment

News reports are that if the tax increase does not happen in August they will lay off 297 officers including 26 freeway patrol officers and 17 motorcycle patrols.

Per NBC4:
        http://www.nbc4i.com/cmh/news/local/..._be_cut/16079/

CPD would reduce the number of sworn officers from 1,889 to 1,586.
        Most of the layoffs would happen in the patrol division, using a “last in, first out” approach to layoffs.
        Distelzweig said 291 positions would be abolished.
        Here’s the breakdown on those positions so far:
        - 29 from the freeway unit
        - 23 the from economic crime unit
        - 22 from narcotics
        - 21 from the special victims unit
        - 21 from burglary
        - 18 from the motorcycle unit
        - 18 from the high-school resource unit
        - 17 community liaison officers and sergeants

Comment

They're going to try and pressure passage of the tax increase and I'm not sure that will fly as the schools are hitting as well and there's only so much to go around. We'll see, thank God I don't live or work in Columbus.
          Last edited by dadyswat; 05-27-2009, 07:47 AM.

Comment

It is not going to be a good thing if this tax increase does not pass in August.

Guess we will have to wait and see what happens in August!

Comment

no cuts wait till December. quote me!

Comment

Originally posted by CPD-Dispatcher View Post
                It is not going to be a good thing if this tax increase does not pass in August.

Guess we will have to wait and see what happens in August!
                Coleman and the City Council has wasted so much money over the last few years that's it's no wonder they're in trouble.

Comment

Don't want to pass out bad news, BUT, just seen on national news that the City of Columbus has over a $100 million deficit. They plan on laying off 309 officers if the tax increase doesn't pass. Good luck guys. Hope everything works out for you.
                  Last edited by pat8228; 05-27-2009, 04:44 PM.
                  Cincinnati PD

Comment

Originally posted by avalonearth View Post
                    News reports are that if the tax increase does not happen in August they will lay off 297 officers including 26 freeway patrol officers and 17 motorcycle patrols.
                    Sounds a little like extortion to me... pay up or your safety and protection will be downsized. I hope it's passed but not because the citizens are lead by fear and layoffs, but because we realize taxes pay for alot of services, and that the leaders like to play politics with public safety and peoples careers and are willing to cut everything except their wasteful pet projects in order to save money.

Comment

IF what the city is saying is true. I feel very sorry for the residents of Columbus. It will be one huge cluster f%&k when the officers are laid off and there is a city wide re-bid for jobs. There are a lot of officers in DROP that could retire today and save a few jobs. Mayor Coleman's son is on the list to be layed off.
                      I just hate it when politicians bully the public with scare tactics. Unfortunately, it is what it is.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitman2 View Post
                        . It will be one huge cluster f%&k when the officers are laid off and there is a city wide re-bid for jobs.
                        They where talking about this last night, and someone said that the Division won't have time to do a city wide re-bid and was going to fill positions without doing a rebid. Who knows.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitman2 View Post
                          . It will be one huge cluster f%&k when the officers are laid off and there is a city wide re-bid for jobs.
                          They where talking about this last night, and someone said that the Division won't have time to do a city wide re-bid and was going to fill positions without doing a rebid. Who knows.

Comment

Ah, don't worry about it. Live in the suburbs and carry your off duty gun in Columbus. Protect yourself!
                            The views/opinions expressed here are solely mine. I'm retired and I don't care. I truly do not want to offend anyone, but if you are thin skinned and have no sense of humor, you better find another line of work. Therefore, I don't have to be politically correct and I will exercise my freedom of speech, until it's taken away. May God bless all retirees. We've done our duty and earned our peace.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8590 users online. 273 members and 8317 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X