300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First time OVI = interlock device?

New Ohio bill being proposed today. Personally, I think it's a bit excessive..

http://www.nbc4i.com/cmh/news/local/...fenders/15688/
    Seriously, the only reason I wanted to be a cop was so I could post anywhere on this forum.

I'm all for it. It's rediculous to see some of these people having a handful of DUI's and they're still on the road. One DUI is enough to kill a family (and get 2 years in jail).

Comment

We've had laws like this in AZ for a few years now... I personally think it's a good law. Screw the people who drive DUI. A friend of mine just hooked up a mom the other day w/ her 6 y/o in the back seat she was passed out behind the wheel and her initial PBT was over a .33. Can't wait to see what the blood comes back at.
      Last edited by ASUMach1; 05-13-2009, 12:20 PM.
      Caught in the action of kill or be killed, greater love hath no man than to lay down his life for his brother.

RIP brother and sister officers who have made the ultimate sacrifice.

Comment

1st time, we need to take the car and I dont care who it belongs too, if its not theirs then they have to pay the fair market value to the person it belonged too. U get 6 mnths straight IF u didnt cause a wreck. U caused a wreck you get 2 yrs automatically.
        DISCLAIMER: All opinions are mine, they do not reflect the opinions or position of my employing agency nor do they reflect any position of my agency.

Comment

I don't have a problem with it at all. Ohio is too easy on OVIs.

Comment

the only thing excessive for a drunk is the amount of alcohol they downed, I would like to see 3 years in county jail for first offense

Comment

Originally posted by trooperden View Post
              the only thing excessive for a drunk is the amount of alcohol they downed, I would like to see 3 years in county jail for first offense
              I'm sorry but I don't agree. Not when the limit is 0.08. not when 2 beers can set you over the legal limit. The legislatures have let MADD and other special interests influence their votes because no politicians want to seem weak on drunk drivers. I don't think out DUI laws target the problematic drunks.

Comment

Two 12 oz beers will not put you anywhere close to the legal limit. I suggest you do some research on alcohol absortion rates/BAC levels before you make any more uninformed and blatently wrong comments.

Comment

Originally posted by just joe View Post
                  Two 12 oz beers will not put you anywhere close to the legal limit. I suggest you do some research on alcohol absortion rates/BAC levels before you make any more uninformed and blatently wrong comments.
                  Okay, maybe two beers wont, but three definitely will. especially if you are drinking anything higher than 5% abv. So a 160 lbs person drinking 3 great lakes beers in an hour would have a BAL of .09 http://www.ou.edu/oupd/bac.htm

Comment

Yea, that's three 500 ml beers, which is almost six 12 oz beers. And you're drinking that in one hour. What kind of alcoholic needs to drink six beers (70+ ounces of liquid) an hour? So your complaint is that you can't down a six pack in an hour and drive away?

Comment

Originally posted by just joe View Post
                      Yea, that's three 500 ml beers, which is almost six 12 oz beers. And you're drinking that in one hour. What kind of alcoholic needs to drink six beers (70+ ounces of liquid) an hour? So your complaint is that you can't down a six pack in an hour and drive away?
                      There are so many variable involved. Like weight, food consumed, size of glass served and what you are drinking. It is entirely possible to go to a bar and have 2-3 glasses of beer and be over the legal limit

Comment

drink all you want, just don't drive.and if you do chose to drive be prepared to pay the price. Three years in county jail for first offense is a great start, and tack on about 800 hours of community service and a 5 years license suspension. So if you don't drive drunk you don't have to worry about the penalty

Comment

Completely agree about not risking it. I don't because I'm scared to death of the consequences of a DUI and what it would do to me given the line of work I'm heading into.(ending all possibilities) Its not worth the risk, but not because I think .08 makes every person incapable of safely operating a vehicle, because remember it was not too long ago it was .10. Discretion is the key. But my whole point was that current laws don't do enough to target the problem drunks, the people who have no self control and have several DUIs. The net is cast too wide. And substantial prison time for every first time offender is not feasible given the cost to house an inmate (around $26,000 annually) in a state that cannot balance it's budget currently. It seems to me that the group of people who benefit most from our current DUI laws are the attorneys, it has been a gold mine for them. And if more people want to disagree with me that fine, I'm done talking about the subject but I respect other people's opinions even if I don't agree. Stay safe people.

Comment

Completely agree about not risking it. I don't because I'm scared to death of the consequences of a DUI and what it would do to me given the line of work I'm heading into.(ending all possibilities) Its not worth the risk, but not because I think .08 makes every person incapable of safely operating a vehicle, because remember it was not too long ago it was .10. Discretion is the key. But my whole point was that current laws don't do enough to target the problem drunks, the people who have no self control and have several DUIs. The net is cast too wide. And substantial prison time for every first time offender is not feasible given the cost to house an inmate (around $26,000 annually) in a state that cannot balance it's budget currently. It seems to me that the group of people who benefit most from our current DUI laws are the attorneys, it has been a gold mine for them. And if more people want to disagree with me that fine, I'm done talking about the subject but I respect other people's opinions even if I don't agree. Stay safe people.

Comment

and you haven't dealt with drunks the same way I did for 30 years, how many death messages have you delivered, how many innocent victims have you pulled from vehicles, mangled or burned to death. That my friend is reality. With the ankle bracelet they can be under house arrest not necessarily in the jail itself. Community service at the hospital, at the local funeral home, that makes a lasting impact. I look at this through different eyes than you but you have never had to deal with the grim reaper.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10057 users online. 367 members and 9690 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X