300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Out of state LEO carrying in Ohio?

I'm a Texas officer that will be visiting Ohio next month. Can anyone advise whether it is legal for a licensed officer from another state to carry (concealed) in Ohio? I know most, if not all, states allow this, but if someone could point me in the direction of where this is spelled out in state law, I'd appreciate it. Gooogled it, but wasn't really finding what I was looking for. Thanks!

Try this link

I know some of y'all in Texas think you're in another country, but I think this still applies to you.
    "We're not in this business for the money. We're not in it for the excitement, and moments like this. Duty, honor, country, service, truth, and justice are good. But you can do that from behind a desk. In the end, you carry a gun and shield out into the field for the sole purpose of confronting the bad guys. The enemy. There is no other reason to be on the front lines." ~Nelson Demille

If your story involves Peanut Butter and an animal - give up now!
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NativeTexan View Post
      I'm a Texas officer that will be visiting Ohio next month. Can anyone advise whether it is legal for a licensed officer from another state to carry (concealed) in Ohio? I know most, if not all, states allow this, but if someone could point me in the direction of where this is spelled out in state law, I'd appreciate it. Gooogled it, but wasn't really finding what I was looking for. Thanks!
      You're covered under the LEOSA, HR218, should be no problem.

Comment

Heh. Yeah, we do get a little nervous whenever we have to leave the warmth and security of our countr- er, state. Just wanted to make sure there weren't any additional restrictions. I appreciate it guys! Stay safe.

Comment

The only thing in HR 218 that has given me pause is the section about "this law is not intended to limit any property owner's right from prohibiting LE to carry on their property."

As part of Ohio's CCW law businesses who do not want CCW holders in their business can post signs saying no concealed carry. If a CCW permit holder is found carrying inside one of these businesses it is like they never had a permit.

I haven't heard of this being done but wonder if some jurisdiction would use this to get around HR 218.

Let me be clear, I would NEVER dream of charging an out of State LEO with a carry violation and don't know anyone who has that attitude. Just something to think about, maybe someone else has some insight on that part of the law. I carry off duty all over the State of Ohio and have carried in other States.

My philosophy is if you don't do anything wrong no one is going to know you are carrying the gun. If something bad happens you will be so glad to have the gun petty legalities won't matter.

Another food for thought is I have run into plenty of LEO's who have never heard of HR 218 (yes, it's true). I fielded a phone call about a year ago from some small PD in one of the Carolina's who had one of our officers detained and wanted to know why they were armed in their jurisdiction. Were baffled when I told them about the Federal right to carry law. For that reason when I carry in another State I carry a copy of the Federal Law in my pocket just in case.

Comment

The Ohio CCW permit system and laws that it exempts you from is a complete joke.

The only charge that is applicable if you take your gun into a business that has a no carry policy/sign is criminal trespass. If I was the officer responding to that call and the permit was legit, there is NO CHANCE I would hook someone up. The complainant can take it to the prosecutors office.

And like Kabal said, if you are an officer that charges another officer with anything for carrying your piece(other than using while intoxicated or something), you are a tool.

Comment

I agree JKral, I do have a CCW permit (not LEO yet, but pretty far along in the hiring process) and I make it a point to give businesses with those static cling signs absolutely no money out of my pocket. There is a mulch store in Lewis Center that has one of those signs...a mulch store! If somebody is birdbrained enough to hold up a mulch distributor, do you really think that they are going to be deterred by a little sticker? Needless to say, I got my mulch somewhere else!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10207 users online. 340 members and 9867 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X