300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cols PD article about "game plan"

Don't know what this means on any classes for the near future.
    ----------------

Police chief gives "game plan" for coming months
    Wednesday, April 15, 2009 3:57 PM
    By Theodore Decker
    THE COLUMBUS DISPATCH

The Columbus Police Division will be looking for ideas within its ranks and across the city in the coming months in what leaders are calling a top-to-bottom review.

At a press conference this afternoon at the Linden police substation on Cleveland Avenue, Mayor Michael B. Coleman and new Chief Walter Distelzweig outlined their early hopes and plans for the Police Division as it moves forward under Distelzweig's leadership.

Coleman called the review three-pronged, saying the division will seek community feedback, listen to the rank-and-file officers, and scour other police departments for ideas.

"The plan is about reopening lines of communication," he said.

Distelzweig was sworn in as chief last month, taking over when longtime Chief James G. Jackson retired.

"This is kind of the game plan, so to speak," Distelzweig said. He added, smiling, "I've only been at this a month, so you've got to give me a little time."

The division will have four community forums in late May and early June, he said, and will survey residents about what the police are doing right or wrong.

He has asked for a review of everything from police staffing to the motor fleet to see what can be streamlined or fine-tuned for better efficiency in troubling financial times.

Distelzweig also pledged to focus on the city's youth by meeting with school leaders, retooling but not abandoning last summer's curfew program, and invigorating the Explorers program meant to teach young people about police work.

Staff members will report back to the chief on their findings in the coming weeks. He hopes to produce more comprehensive plans for the future of the division by mid-July.

Interesting additional information on it at channel 4:

http://www.nbc4i.com/cmh/news/local/...tiative/14811/

Comment

wow that letter was pretty deep.

Comment

I would have to agree, that letter says what others won't say. There is absolutely no way that they cannot be paid for overtime. it's not realistic. mabey this will be a wake up call...but then again, coleman is in charge

Comment

This topic has been addressed for many years; change this, add that, eliminate this, etc. It's just reworded with a few different twists. Officers in plain clothes assignments or tactical units periodically hear rumors about their job being axed. Get your gear in order, try on your uniform because you're going back to Patrol Bureau. No more overtime! This is nothing new, no matter who is the chief or the mayor. Granted monies in the city budget for police funding is being questioned at this time and everyone is concerned about upcoming academy classes. If you think of Mayor Coleman as the head coach, then you know the game plan will change more often then not. Remember the pecking order, the mayor, safety director then the chief. I know for those wishing to join the team it's a roller coaster ride. But, that's the nature of policework...up and down. Eventually the coaster will come to a stop and pick up more passengers.
          The views/opinions expressed here are solely mine. I'm retired and I don't care. I truly do not want to offend anyone, but if you are thin skinned and have no sense of humor, you better find another line of work. Therefore, I don't have to be politically correct and I will exercise my freedom of speech, until it's taken away. May God bless all retirees. We've done our duty and earned our peace.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10463 users online. 404 members and 10059 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X