• RIP Lt. Puls

Rest in Peace Lt. Jeffrey Puls

LT. JEFFREY L. PULS1951-2009
    Police official led event staffing
    36-year veteran found dead at station
    Sunday, March 15, 2009 3:34 AM
    By Jeb Phillips

THE COLUMBUS DISPATCH
    The Columbus police lieutenant who planned for nearly every major event in the city for a decade died yesterday afternoon in a Franklinton substation.

Lt. Jeffrey L. Puls, 57, apparently died of natural causes, said Sgt. Rich Weiner, a division spokesman. Another lieutenant who had come to relieve Puls at the 333 W. Town St. station found him just before 3 p.m. Medics took him to Grant Medical Center, where he was pronounced dead.

Puls, a 36-year veteran of the division, planned police deployment for everything from Red, White & Boom to Ohio State University football games. He was the person who told everyone where to be and what to do, Weiner said. The most recent event he worked on was President Barack Obama's visit to Columbus on March 6.

Puls also was a critical part of the city's contingency planning after the terrorist attack of Sept. 11, 2001, said Sgt. Jim Gilbert, president of the Fraternal Order of Police Capital City Lodge No. 9.

Puls' regular assignment was the first shift lieutenant for the city's Zone 4, which includes the campus area, Clintonville, the Short North and the Northwest Side.

"He was one of those true leaders," Weiner said. "If you wanted something done, and something done right, you went to Jeff Puls."

Weiner's voice cracked as he talked about Puls. He had worked under the lieutenant as a first-shift officer and sometimes went to him for advice.

"The younger supervisors are going to miss him," Weiner said. "You could walk into his office and he would be honest with you. He was a gentle giant."

Puls was a division helicopter pilot from 1984 until 1988, became a lieutenant in 1991, and was supervisor of the helicopter unit in 1995 and 1996. He helped modernize the unit and brought in jet-turbine helicopters to replace the outdated, slower, piston-engine helicopters, Weiner said.

Puls also developed riot training for the division.

Weiner and Gilbert said that everyone from Chief Walter Distelzweig, who entered the division with Puls in 1972, to the youngest officers trusted Puls.

"If you had a question, and you needed help finding an answer, you would call him," Gilbert said.

Puls, who resided in Orient, is survived by his wife, Donna.

[email protected]

This is a true tragedy...

Natural causes at 57... Just goes to show it can happen to anyone.
    sigpic

No, maybe I can't win, maybe the only thing I can do is just take everything he's got. But to beat me, he's gonna have to kill me, and to kill me, he's gonna have to have the heart to stand in front of me, and to do that, he's gotta be willing to die himself and I don't know if he's ready to do that. I don't know, I don't know.
    Rocky Balboa
    Rocky IV (1985)

Id rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6

Comment

Unfortunately this is the average life expectancy of a career police officer. RIP, brother.....
      I MAY NOT ALWAYS PLAY FAIR, BUT I DON'T ALWAYS LOSE EITHER......

Comment

RIP Lt.

Thanks for keeping your eye on all of us in the fourth, You'll be missed.

Comment

One of our Capts, Doug Shackle, died last weekend at the age of 49 due to natural causes. He was a West Pointer who became the youngest Capt in the history of our dept. he was a good dude.

RIP Cap and Lt Puls

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 12913 users online. 436 members and 12477 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X