300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Money for classes?

I hate to get my hopes up but this does sound promising. Could Columbus actually get a class this year? Any thoughts anyone?

Obama addresses city police recruits
    President announces $61.6 million for Ohio law enforcement agencies
    Friday, March 6, 2009 8:47 AM

THE COLUMBUS DISPATCH
    President Barack Obama announced $61.6 million for Ohio police agencies this morning when he addressed Columbus police academy graduates.

The money would come from $2 billion that the Justice Department will hand out in law enforcement grants throughout the nation, Obama said, to pay for "more cops, more prosecutors, more probation officers," as well as equipment and other law-enforcement needs.

"Cities and states can apply for these funds right away," Obama said, and he promised the Justice Department would get the grants "out the door in 15 days."

http://www.dispatch.com/live/content...s.html?sid=101

Yes but i dont know about columbus, i have a feeling a lot of this money will go to the smaller departments that are in a greater need. Like union county, or morrow county who have like one deputy patrolling the county.

Ohio law enforcement is in a bad situation help is on the way but im worried about the end of 2010. we will see i guess?
    sigpic

No, maybe I can't win, maybe the only thing I can do is just take everything he's got. But to beat me, he's gonna have to kill me, and to kill me, he's gonna have to have the heart to stand in front of me, and to do that, he's gotta be willing to die himself and I don't know if he's ready to do that. I don't know, I don't know.
    Rocky Balboa
    Rocky IV (1985)

Id rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6

Comment

I caught the news & it looks like Columbus will get $4 million. That's alot of money. My hope is they will use it to fund a July & December class. But until they say there will be a class I won't hold my breath.

Comment

I have heard from 3 people that with the stimulus plan columbus has money allotted for 2 classes in 2009. *(again this is hear say) but I really hope this to be true!

Comment

What happens when the money is gone in a year or two? will there be layoffs? Sounds like a temporary fix to me. I'm hoping for the best for everyone.
          Cincinnati PD

Comment

Originally posted by lightning350 View Post
            I have heard from 3 people that with the stimulus plan columbus has money allotted for 2 classes in 2009. *(again this is hear say) but I really hope this to be true!
            If they blew that money they just got on 2 classes this year, I think you would need to think long and hard about taking one of those slots. A smart mayor would save that money to fund the PD for the rest of 09 and 10, spending it all now would not be wise.
            Seriously, the only reason I wanted to be a cop was so I could post anywhere on this forum.

Comment

Originally posted by FiremanMike View Post
              If they blew that money they just got on 2 classes this year, I think you would need to think long and hard about taking one of those slots. A smart mayor would save that money to fund the PD for the rest of 09 and 10, spending it all now would not be wise.
              I thought the money was specifically to be used for hiring police officers??? How can the mayor "save the money to fund the PD"??? The money was not allocated to save for a rainy day!!!

Comment

Originally posted by FiremanMike View Post
                I think even if it meant an inevitable layoff in a year or two I'd still go - if only for the OPOTA cert from one of the best LE academies in the country.

Comment

Anyone hear anything more about this money & possible classes? Any rumors anyone?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4337 users online. 207 members and 4130 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X