Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Script Writer with Question re OHIO Sheriffs

Hello,

I'm a Film Professional living in Toronto Ontario and I am in the middle of writing a Feature Film Thriller. This is my third script.

I'm hoping someone can help me with a question I have: Currently my story takes place in a fictional PA town that is terrorized by a serial killer. My fictional Law enforcement department is comprised of a 4 man Sheriff Department team (It's a small town with a population between 2,000 and 4,000). I've been told that the Sheriff's department doesn't investigate crime in PA. What about Ohio? Is this scenario possible in Ohio?

Any help with this question would be greatly appreciated.

ScriptWriter

[email protected]

The S.O.s in Ohio def investigate crime. Due to budget issues some only work jail and courthouse duties but most also have road patrol.

Comment

Yes they do where I am at we have detectives along with swat members
      Call Me HR Cuff and Stuff

Comment

im a deputy, and yes i investigate. any questions just ask
        sigpic

No, maybe I can't win, maybe the only thing I can do is just take everything he's got. But to beat me, he's gonna have to kill me, and to kill me, he's gonna have to have the heart to stand in front of me, and to do that, he's gotta be willing to die himself and I don't know if he's ready to do that. I don't know, I don't know.
        Rocky Balboa
        Rocky IV (1985)

Id rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6

Comment

Small department question

Originally posted by Lawenforcer72 View Post
          im a deputy, and yes i investigate. any questions just ask
          OK. My question is: Is it possible to have a 4 man Sheriff Department? My production is a low budget independent affair and I'm trying to keep things small. Thanks so much for your help.

Comment

Im not sure of any that only have four in the whole department, maybe two to three on shift at one time is the smallest i know of.

But i do know of police departments that consist of a chief and one officer.

So it is possible to have a village police department that small, but dont know of any sheriff offices that small.
            sigpic

No, maybe I can't win, maybe the only thing I can do is just take everything he's got. But to beat me, he's gonna have to kill me, and to kill me, he's gonna have to have the heart to stand in front of me, and to do that, he's gotta be willing to die himself and I don't know if he's ready to do that. I don't know, I don't know.
            Rocky Balboa
            Rocky IV (1985)

Comment

yeah you would be better going with a small police department. since sheriff departments cover a whole county, they have many more deputies.
              I don't have to be careful. I got a gun.

Comment

Wasn't that a one man (plus his wife) sheriff's office in the movie MISERY? You're a writer, make it whatever. The state of Pennsylvania has small burrough or village/town PD's. If you want to be accurate, make sure you use the correct terminology for your setting location. For example, in Ohio it's called the sheriff's office. Out west it's called the sheriff's department. Minor details, but important for accuracy. One other thing, if a serial killer is terrorizing a small town in Pennsylvania, realistically the state police will do the investigating. Good luck.
                The views/opinions expressed here are solely mine. I'm retired and I don't care. I truly do not want to offend anyone, but if you are thin skinned and have no sense of humor, you better find another line of work. Therefore, I don't have to be politically correct and I will exercise my freedom of speech, until it's taken away. May God bless all retirees. We've done our duty and earned our peace.

Comment

Oh yeah, and if you have a serial killer i know a guy whos a badass, his name is lawenforcer72 on Officer.com, he can be your main character
                  sigpic

Rocky Balboa
                  Rocky IV (1985)

Comment

Thanks for all the replies. As is often the case I may take certain creative "liberties" with my story. But it is good for me to know what is realistic before I start going around and "bending" the truth. You guys essentially answered my question - if I want to go 4 man small I will have to make it a Police department rather than a Sheriff's Office. Additionally, I will have to make sure that the State Police are investigating.

Comment

If you are using Ohio as a setting, we do not have state police, we have the highway patrol, so they would not be assisting in any investigation unless it occurred on state property or had a significany state tie in. A small town would use the expertise of the local sheriff's office and the Ohio Bureau of Criminal Identification and Investigation. The county prosecutor may also assign his investigator to assist in the case.

Comment

actually, there is an Ohio State Police. They work mostly government builidings and maintain security. In columbus they are in almost every major government building. They look almost identical to Highway patrolmen, except for minor changes on their uniform's and vehicles.

Comment

They are State of Ohio Police Officers--not Ohio State Police--and they work for/under the highway patrol. The Ohio State Univ. also has Ohio State Police and clearly neither one of those departments is what he is talking about.

Comment

That's right, my bad on that. Thanks for the correction.

Comment

Thanks! - it varies so much from State to State!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6776 users online. 290 members and 6486 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X