300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opota

Word through the grapevine is that OPOTA might be changing the run. I heard that many people were suing due to the run standards. Has anyone else heard anything else about this. I heard this from our FOP rep he said it wasn't 100% but that it might be true
    Call Me HR Cuff and Stuff

Give me a break, I can't possibly see a basis for suit here.

More and more out of shape slugs are paying into Ohio Police and Fire Pension for 10 years then going out on medicals due to being out of shape and spending MY pension money, it's 75% of the reason why our retirees are now paying $900/month in insurance.

Personally I applaud OPOTA for being proactive in getting people into this job that are in decent cardiovascular shape.

The standard has been set for years, and when we went into the academy we knew that we had 6 months to get our run time to what it needed to be, yet we still had people who were mad at the instructors/commander when they came up short on run day.
    Seriously, the only reason I wanted to be a cop was so I could post anywhere on this forum.

Comment

I dont neccessarily disagree with their standards. I just wish they had a better plan for those who got injured towards the end of the academy. When i was in i had an injury that kept me from lifting weights for three months, OPOTA wouldnt give an extension on the pushup portion of the test (i could do the run and the sit-ups) their excuse was that "people shouldnt get extra time to be in shape" but if thats the case why not test at the beginning of the academy and that be it?

luckily i pushed through my injury and got the pushups (couldnt use my arm for three weeks after)

the standards are good, just need better policy for certain exceptions.
      sigpic

No, maybe I can't win, maybe the only thing I can do is just take everything he's got. But to beat me, he's gonna have to kill me, and to kill me, he's gonna have to have the heart to stand in front of me, and to do that, he's gotta be willing to die himself and I don't know if he's ready to do that. I don't know, I don't know.
      Rocky Balboa
      Rocky IV (1985)

Id rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6

Comment

+1 and then some.
        When I went through, same cry babys said that they were going to pass "when it came time" and continued to eat junk on the breaks, drink pop and not ever come in and work out. When final day came to take test guess what? THEY FAILED. Given 3 trys and they FAILED then complain, this and that is why and they wasted $. Like it has been said before, YOU KNOW what YOU need to do and not blame everyone else because you dont want to be commited and do it. Now, those of us who worked out and were committed to leaving our families and working out together are on the streets and the ones who did not are now sitting around wondering why and "thinking" of doing it again. If you put your mind to the run and try and train you will do it, I went in running it in 16:30 and left there running it in 11:25.

Originally posted by FiremanMike View Post
        Give me a break, I can't possibly see a basis for suit here.

More and more out of shape slugs are paying into Ohio Police and Fire Pension for 10 years then going out on medicals due to being out of shape and spending MY pension money, it's 75% of the reason why our retirees are now paying $900/month in insurance.

Personally I applaud OPOTA for being proactive in getting people into this job that are in decent cardiovascular shape.

The standard has been set for years, and when we went into the academy we knew that we had 6 months to get our run time to what it needed to be, yet we still had people who were mad at the instructors/commander when they came up short on run day.
        DISCLAIMER: All opinions are mine, they do not reflect the opinions or position of my employing agency nor do they reflect any position of my agency.

Comment

I heard the physical fitness will be required yearly in the future, not dumbing it down.

Comment

If you actually put your damn feet on the ground and do some running, you'll have no problem.
            -Stay safe

Comment

I am headed to OPOTA in September and I hope the run is still in place because I have been training for the run since December and would hate to see all this hard work go to waste
              Call Me HR Cuff and Stuff

Comment

Originally posted by JKralC104 View Post
                I heard the physical fitness will be required yearly in the future, not dumbing it down.
                I heard that too.
                Seriously, the only reason I wanted to be a cop was so I could post anywhere on this forum.

Comment

There was a court ruling not many years ago, so if someone finds it post it please. But basically it made it illegal for departments to give physicaly tests to those already employed that would be a result of them losing their job. But they can give tests that will give an incentive and they can lose rank for failing physical tests.

This law may change i just remember someone doing a report in one of my Criminology Classes
                  sigpic

No, maybe I can't win, maybe the only thing I can do is just take everything he's got. But to beat me, he's gonna have to kill me, and to kill me, he's gonna have to have the heart to stand in front of me, and to do that, he's gotta be willing to die himself and I don't know if he's ready to do that. I don't know, I don't know.
                  Rocky Balboa
                  Rocky IV (1985)

Id rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6

Comment

I heard it from an executive who was at a conference of some kind who said that he spoke with some attys who said any agency that uses the Cooper Standards was open to a lawsuit because the Cooper Standards are not directly related to a law enforcement function. I can see where they are coming from. Agencies that use the climb three flights of stairs, grab this dummy and drag it X distance, crawl through a first floor window, use a fire extinquisher and push a car out of the road are in a much more defensible position because they are requiring you to do things that police officers actually do. No cop has ever run two miles and had to drop and do 40 push ups as part of his/her job.

Comment

Originally posted by Lawenforcer72 View Post
                      There was a court ruling not many years ago, so if someone finds it post it please. But basically it made it illegal for departments to give physicaly tests to those already employed that would be a result of them losing their job. But they can give tests that will give an incentive and they can lose rank for failing physical tests.

This law may change i just remember someone doing a report in one of my Criminology Classes
                      I need you to link this case to me please, definitely something we need to look into at work.

Comment

Originally posted by just joe View Post
                        I heard it from an executive who was at a conference of some kind who said that he spoke with some attys who said any agency that uses the Cooper Standards was open to a lawsuit because the Cooper Standards are not directly related to a law enforcement function. I can see where they are coming from. Agencies that use the climb three flights of stairs, grab this dummy and drag it X distance, crawl through a first floor window, use a fire extinquisher and push a car out of the road are in a much more defensible position because they are requiring you to do things that police officers actually do. No cop has ever run two miles and had to drop and do 40 push ups as part of his/her job.
                        yeah, but someone who is also cardiovasucalarly(not really a word i think) fit and has upper body strength and hip flexor strength should be able to do all of those things.

and i am sure there are cops out there who have had to give chase(of distance) and at the end of the chase have had to get into a scuffle with the dude they were chasing.
                        I don't have to be careful. I got a gun.

Comment

I don't diasagree with you, but it is a fine point of law that the attys are contesting.

Comment

gotcha. haha i think the keyword in here is attorney.
                            I don't have to be careful. I got a gun.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8362 users online. 421 members and 7941 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X