300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Columbus City Council Approves budget

Here's the budget, looks like there will not be any classes in columbus this year. Best of luck!

COLUMBUS, Ohio—Columbus faces its tightest budget crunch in years and members voted unanimously to approve the controversial cuts that included permanent and temporary layoffs for some city workers.

NBC 4’s Tom Brockman reported with the FAST FACTS.

Making up $13 million won’t be easy, but it’s a task officials said has to be done to balance the budget.

Columbus city council members made a final decision regarding the budget Monday.

RELATED: Read The 2009 City Budget

One of Mayor Michael Coleman’s suggestions was to implement a five-day temporary layoff for some 1,300 city employees and permanent layoffs for others.

That would be in addition to 27 police recruits and 12 middle managers who already were laid off.

That’s only the tip of the iceberg, though, Brockman said.

Council and the mayor’s office proposed cutting $750,000 from the Summer Strike Force, $800,000 from police fleet purchases and $280,000 from Experience Columbus.

City officials announced the Saturday closing of 13 recreation centers last Friday.

The centers could close permanently but at least will remain closed until the economy improves.

The city auditor suggested increasing the income tax to raise revenue for the city last week.

Programs like the Community Crime Patrol also remain on the chopping block, NBC 4‘s Patrick Preston reported.

“Community Crime Patrol is the last program that should be cut,“ said Ellen More, Community Crime Patrol executive director. “It’s an impossible task they have in front of them.“

Moore said council members are keenly aware of the groups wanting to be spared from cuts and while the money may not be there this time, she’s hoping her efforts pay dividends in the future.

“It may not get reinstated right now, but down the road when things change and get better, sure, they’re going to remember all of these peoples’ pleas for their programs and those things will get reinstated eventually, hopefully,“ Moore said.

Residents were given an opportunity to voice their opinions to Council last Thursday.

“One of the things that does concern us is the potential to lose the strike force. We’re also concerned about the loss of the 27 new recruits,“ Northland Community Council’s Dave Paul said.

“The neighborhood centers offer home for the youngsters. They can spend their time there instead of on the streets dealing in drugs or being exposed to drugs,“ resident Karl Barlay said.

Rev. Melvin Steward of the Mount Vernon Avenue District Improvement Association attended a council session last week to save the police recruits from layoffs.

But, Steward said he wasn’t just speaking to the council, adding that he was speaking to current police officers who can sacrifice pay to save the recruits.

“They are the ones also who should say, ‘We will forgo that little increase to see that my brothers stay on, retain their jobs,‘“ Steward said.

While council approved the budget that does not include hiring the police recruits, that does not mean that the issue is over because negotiations continue.

I saw a reporter say it costs the city 1.4 million (seems pretty high to me) to train the new recruits. A couple recruits were interviewed and said they want to remain here to be CPD officers. Newsflash guys the city does not want new police officers now. Personally, I'd say thanks for the training Columbus and go elsewhere. Some department would be honored to have you. Besides, one has to earn a living and support the family. Dedication goes so far, especially in these tough financial times.
    The views/opinions expressed here are solely mine. I'm retired and I don't care. I truly do not want to offend anyone, but if you are thin skinned and have no sense of humor, you better find another line of work. Therefore, I don't have to be politically correct and I will exercise my freedom of speech, until it's taken away. May God bless all retirees. We've done our duty and earned our peace.

Comment

Hey not sure if you guys got a chance to read the Columbus Dispatch but ohio is being awarded 93 Mill from Obama from the stimulas to go to law enforcement.
      sigpic

No, maybe I can't win, maybe the only thing I can do is just take everything he's got. But to beat me, he's gonna have to kill me, and to kill me, he's gonna have to have the heart to stand in front of me, and to do that, he's gotta be willing to die himself and I don't know if he's ready to do that. I don't know, I don't know.
      Rocky Balboa
      Rocky IV (1985)

Id rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6

Comment

It hasn't been signed by him yet, he's on vacation. Plus that money is not a promise for law enforcement, espicially columbus. we can only hope...

Comment

Cleveland, Cincy, Toledo and Columbus are to be awarded the most.....
          sigpic

No, maybe I can't win, maybe the only thing I can do is just take everything he's got. But to beat me, he's gonna have to kill me, and to kill me, he's gonna have to have the heart to stand in front of me, and to do that, he's gotta be willing to die himself and I don't know if he's ready to do that. I don't know, I don't know.
          Rocky Balboa
          Rocky IV (1985)

Id rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8216 users online. 271 members and 7945 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X