X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ess286 View Post
    Isn't the Mayor's son a PO in Columbus?
    With enough seniority to not care..
    Seriously, the only reason I wanted to be a cop was so I could post anywhere on this forum.

Comment

Saw something in the paper last night that got me pretty cranky
      ----------

Theater-restoration tab grows $2.3 million
      Friday, January 30, 2009 3:10 AM
      By Mike Pramik
      THE COLUMBUS DISPATCH
      Columbus has agreed to pay $2.3 million to cover cost overruns and added amenities in the Lincoln Theatre restoration.

The funding is in addition to $4 million the city already had committed to the project, which has grown in scope as well as budget -- from initial estimates of $11 million to the latest cost of $13.5 million. The city's economic development department has asked Columbus City Council to approve the funding request on Monday.

The money will be used to pay for unforeseen capital items including a new roof, as well as a change in the scope of the project, said Larry James, a Columbus lawyer who is spearheading the restoration.

For instance, $1 million is being spent to add a balcony to increase seating to 574. Another $650,000 is requested to create a j*** academy to be run by the Columbus-based J*** Arts Group.

James hasn't ruled out asking the county for more money. Franklin County Commissioner Paula Brooks said she and other commissioners would consider it only after reviewing a business plan and touring the site.

"We have to be very … business-oriented in any decision we make," Brooks said.

http://www.dispatch.com/live/content...%242.3+million

---------

Good thing the city can afford $1M for a balcony but can't seem to spare the scratch for the police academy and the new recruits - definitely got their priorities straight...
      Last edited by WannabeCPD; 01-31-2009, 12:56 PM. Reason: made it more concise

Comment

Originally posted by ess286 View Post
        Isn't the Mayor's son a PO in Columbus?
        He is and he is a very good man and police officer.

Comment

THIS got me pretty cranky. Obviously people aren't getting it.

http://www.dispatch.com/live/content...Q.html?sid=101

Editorial: Share the load
          Columbus police should do their part to help city balance budget
          Friday, January 30, 2009 2:59 AM

The city of Columbus faces a budget crisis that requires sacrifice from everyone. The police union's refusal to recognize that is unconscionable, considering the sacrifices that other city employees and the taxpayers of Columbus are making in a difficult time.

The decision by the Fraternal Order of Police to twist Mayor Michael B. Coleman's reasonable request for a voluntary pay freeze into an unfair-labor-practices charge is downright arrogant.

Most areas of city government already have felt the squeeze of bad economic times.

The mayor already announced 130 layoffs in various city departments. Budgets for the Recreation and Parks Department and city health services have been slashed, with 10 recreation centers and six pools scheduled to close and funding for home-care and hospice services wiped out.

The funding the city contributes to social-service contracts will be cut by nearly 80 percent, and neighborhood health centers will lose 32 percent of their city funding.

These are vital services and cutting them hurts some of the city's most vulnerable residents, but financial reality makes this unavoidable.

Through Coleman's tenure as mayor, he has taken pride in sparing police and fire services from significant cuts, even as other departments have sacrificed.

Since 2000, spending for the Division of Police has increased by 41 percent, while nonsafety spending from the general fund has grown by only 5.6 percent. As of Dec. 31, the city had 1,903 uniformed police officers, 108 more than in 2000. The number of nonpolice employees, not counting elected officials, is 1,447, down from 1,882 in 2000.

Clearly, the mayor values the Police Division as much as residents do.

So his request to the FOP, the firefighters' union and three unions representing other employees -- that the unions accept pay freezes, regardless of already negotiated raises, as a way to avoid layoffs -- was a reasonable proposal to make the best of a bad situation for everyone.

The International Association of Fire Fighters Local 67 did its part by agreeing to delay the 4 percent raise that is scheduled to take effect June 1. As a result, no firefighters will be laid off to close the $13 million gap that remains in the city's 2009 budget.

Twenty-seven police recruits, some of whom were days away from being sworn in, might not be so lucky. Coleman announced Tuesday that the recruits, who have been on the payroll and in training since July, will be laid off as of Feb. 26 if the budget hole can't be plugged.

That is a tremendously discouraging step but one that has to be taken if the police union won't do anything to help balance the budget. Union leaders not only refused to put the mayor's request to a vote of their members but filed an unfair-labor-practices charge against the mayor. They said he should not have made the pay-freeze request public while the union is in contract talks with the city.

But the public is entitled to clear information about the hard choices facing the city, and Coleman's ultimatum to the unions is as clear as can be.

The continuing economic slump could make balancing future budgets impossible without increases in taxes or fees. The city will be in a poor position to ask for more from taxpayers if a major city department has refused to do its part to ease the pain.

Most city employees, along with many taxpayers, will get no pay raises this year. After many years of being held harmless while others' budgets were cut, the Division of Police faces an unavoidable sacrifice.

Members either will accept pay concessions or see officers lose jobs, starting with the new recruits. The ball is in the union's court.

The Columbus community, including the officers, will be better off if the jobs are saved and pay raises are put off until better times.

Comment

Originally posted by WannabeCPD View Post
            Saw something in the paper last night that got me pretty cranky
            ----------

Theater-restoration tab grows $2.3 million
            Friday, January 30, 2009 3:10 AM
            By Mike Pramik
            THE COLUMBUS DISPATCH
            Columbus has agreed to pay $2.3 million to cover cost overruns and added amenities in the Lincoln Theatre restoration.

The funding is in addition to $4 million the city already had committed to the project, which has grown in scope as well as budget -- from initial estimates of $11 million to the latest cost of $13.5 million. The city's economic development department has asked Columbus City Council to approve the funding request on Monday.

The money will be used to pay for unforeseen capital items including a new roof, as well as a change in the scope of the project, said Larry James, a Columbus lawyer who is spearheading the restoration.

For instance, $1 million is being spent to add a balcony to increase seating to 574. Another $650,000 is requested to create a j*** academy to be run by the Columbus-based J*** Arts Group.

James hasn't ruled out asking the county for more money. Franklin County Commissioner Paula Brooks said she and other commissioners would consider it only after reviewing a business plan and touring the site.

"We have to be very … business-oriented in any decision we make," Brooks said.

http://www.dispatch.com/live/content...%242.3+million

---------

Good thing the city can afford $1M for a balcony but can't seem to spare the scratch for the police academy and the new recruits - definitely got their priorities straight...
            WTF?!

Comment

Hitman: are u a sworn officer or are u a CPD officer??? If you are not CPD then it explains why you do not completely understand the situation that CPD is in!!!!!!! Trust me when i say that the public perseption of what is going on is not in fact the truth of what is going on!!!

Comment

Originally posted by skevers10 View Post
                Hitman: are u a sworn officer or are u a CPD officer??? If you are not CPD then it explains why you do not completely understand the situation that CPD is in!!!!!!! Trust me when i say that the public perseption of what is going on is not in fact the truth of what is going on!!!
                I am not an officer. My husband is CPD. Maybe I'm not writing things the way I'm feeling them. Knowing what my husband is telling me, I see that CPD has no choice at this moment. I was cranky at the editor who wrote that editorial- it perpetuates the public's perception that CPD is selfish and arrogant. Maybe I should have clarified it better. I WISH people knew what the real situation was.

Comment

Maybe one of the active CPD officers can keep an eye on the staff at the training academy. If those officers are transferred to other assignments, that might be a clue as to whether a new class will start. It happened with the officers in DARE and PAL. Those units were scraped by Chief Jackson and the officers had to find other jobs. Check the bulletin.
                  The views/opinions expressed here are solely mine. I'm retired and I don't care. I truly do not want to offend anyone, but if you are thin skinned and have no sense of humor, you better find another line of work. Therefore, I don't have to be politically correct and I will exercise my freedom of speech, until it's taken away. May God bless all retirees. We've done our duty and earned our peace.

Comment

I can tell you that the training staff was given an ultimatum: either find new jobs or have the positions abolished.

Comment

Hitman, i just re read your post and realized that i completely misread your post... OPPSSS!! now i realize we are basically on the same side!

Comment

Originally posted by CPD7297 View Post
                        ...IIRC, a few years ago several Cleveland officers were laid off and they went to Cincinnati PD and they also had to attend their academy. I think it was shortened for a quick graduation. Maybe someone here can address that situation.
                        That is correct. That was in 2004. I graduated from the Cincinnati PD 96th Recruit Class and some (10 to 15?) of the laid off Cleveland Police Officers constituted the Cincinnati PD 97th Recruit Class. They started after us but graduated before us...I believe their academy was shortened to about 12 weeks...but that's a guess.

That stinks regarding what's happening in Columbus. I hope the Recruits there find LE work soon or can return to their previous jobs prior to the Columbus PD academy.
                        Last edited by CincyCop; 02-04-2009, 02:14 AM. Reason: Spelling correction and addition of text.
                        "Let's Roll" - T. Beamer

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10242 users online. 340 members and 9902 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X