300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CPD Academy Class

I just recieved a call from a good friend of mine in the current CPD Academy class and they have officially been told they are being let go.

He also said CPD is having several departments coming to the Academy to meet with them about employment options. Does anyone know of any central Ohio departments still hiring that they might be able to test with?

The city knew they weren't going to have money to hire these officers, but they wasted $1.2 million to train them anyway. Mayor Coleman needs to go for his mismanagement of city funds. He spent more than $1 million for a company to study his proposed light rail system for downtown. Maybe it's time to stop paying to have immigrants settle in Columbus only to reject American cultural norms and turn parts of our city into third world enclaves. Perhaps it's time to stop subsidizing laziness for abled bodied citizens who won't work because it's easier to take advantage of social programs financed by people who actually do work and take pride in their community.

Comment

Bill, in response to your question regarding other agencies:

Westerville and Dublin just closed their hiring announcements within the past week. The only local agency that is currently accepting applications is Gahanna, however their starting pay is only $39k and they are actually hiring officers for the year 2010. Of course nobody should do this job for the money, as it isn't much, but 39k/year is not very competitive with what area departments offer.

I'm curious if these recently graduated (as of Friday) recruits could sidestep the civil service process of other municipal departments (such as Dublin or Westerville). While I understand the frustration they must feel in being laid off when they believed they were starting LE careers, it would be an egregious violation of ethics to put them ahead of applicants who have applied to hiring departments whose vacancy announcement periods have ended.

Comment

here's an article from 10tv...

COLUMBUS, Ohio — Days before their scheduled graduation from the police academy, 27 Columbus police recruits were told Tuesday that they had been laid off, 10TV News reported.

The city's 114th recruiting class was scheduled to graduate on Friday morning, according to a news release issued by the Columbus Division of Police.

Instead of going to work for the city of Columbus, the newly-certified officers will now graduate and search for jobs with other departments in the state of Ohio.

The Fraternal Order of Police said the city was wasting $1.4 million it invested in training the officers in order to save $1 million in the short term. Union president Jim Gilbert also said the city was taking a serious gamble in not hiring the recruits.

"We've worked with the mayor in regards to retirements that we're going to have by January 2011," Gilbert said. "We're going to have over 200 officers that are going to have to retire. By taking these 27 away, and not having any classes at all in 2009, the city is not prepared at all for what's going to hit them."

The decision to dismiss the recruits came five days after the FOP rejected Mayor Michael Coleman's request to accept a pay freeze in 2009.

In addition to rejecting the request, the FOP filed an unfair labor practice charge with the state's Employment Relations Board, alleging that Coleman made a public demand to accept the pay freeze or lose positions.

In a statement, Coleman denied the charge, calling it "an unfortunate attempt to change the subject from the reasonable request I made to all city unions."

Four of the five unions representing city employees have rejected Coleman's request. Only the union representing Columbus firefighters has agreed to delay pay raises.

Comment

One word "****"

Comment

Originally posted by Camarocks View Post
            Bill, in response to your question regarding other agencies:

Westerville and Dublin just closed their hiring announcements within the past week. The only local agency that is currently accepting applications is Gahanna, however their starting pay is only $39k and they are actually hiring officers for the year 2010. Of course nobody should do this job for the money, as it isn't much, but 39k/year is not very competitive with what area departments offer..
            Also Upper Arlington is accepting apps. untill Jan. 30 and their test is Feb. 7...

Comment

Thats incredible, 27 people quit their jobs to go though that academy. Not to mention, the recruits that relocated only to be told your laid off. Thank god I didn't get into that class.

Comment

Originally posted by cmsd380 View Post
                Thats incredible, 27 people quit their jobs to go though that academy. Not to mention, the recruits that relocated only to be told your laid off. Thank god I didn't get into that class.
                AMEN

Comment

Upper Arlington is only hiring 2...still worth the try i guess. But i know they are not placing any officers this year.

Comment

That is very unfortunate, especially considering that the city paid $1.4 million to train these recruits. They are going to have to hire a large number of officers to hit the streets in 2010/2011 with all the LEOs who are coming up on retirement. The bottom line is, Mayor Coleman and the Public Safety director just flushed $1.4 million of tax payer dollars down the toilet and disrupted 27 lives. Like another poster mentioned, most of these recruits probably quit other jobs to answer this call to serve.

Comment

At Gahanna, they would start at step two making 49,000. We just hired three though and I don't know what kinda money would be available for next year.

I know some of the Academy participants might be able to get their jobs back if they resigned within the past year but many of those were jobs that might not still be there now.

Comment

I saw it on the news. It's the first time it ever happened here, and that cannot be a good sign for future applicants. I certainly don't want to see the department or citizens suffer from the layoff. But, it sure would be nice if everyone of those recruits found solid work elsewhere. Screw Coleman. It can't be proved, but I wonder if he stuck to the PD because the fire union played his game and the police did not.
                        The views/opinions expressed here are solely mine. I'm retired and I don't care. I truly do not want to offend anyone, but if you are thin skinned and have no sense of humor, you better find another line of work. Therefore, I don't have to be politically correct and I will exercise my freedom of speech, until it's taken away. May God bless all retirees. We've done our duty and earned our peace.

Comment

If any department sidesteppred their civil service process, I think they would be inviting expensive lawsuits from others that would of been hired.

I imagine a lot of departments will try to hire them on as reserves to keep the commission they just recieved.

Comment

Originally posted by bill198483 View Post
                            I imagine a lot of departments will try to hire them on as reserves to keep the commission they just recieved.
                            This situation could be very interesting for those recentl graduated recruits. Then again, are they going to graduate and take the oath? Nonetheless, in the past I believe the larger departments just might require them to enter their respective academy (again). I worked with a Cleveland officer in the 80's who was laid off from that department and Columbus required him to attend the Columbus academy. IIRC, a few years ago several
                            Cleveland officers were laid off and they went to Cincinnati PD and they also had to attend their academy. I think it was shortened for a quick graduation. Maybe someone here can address that situation.
                            The views/opinions expressed here are solely mine. I'm retired and I don't care. I truly do not want to offend anyone, but if you are thin skinned and have no sense of humor, you better find another line of work. Therefore, I don't have to be politically correct and I will exercise my freedom of speech, until it's taken away. May God bless all retirees. We've done our duty and earned our peace.

Comment

Yeah, thank God you didn't get paid quite handsomely to be sent to one of the best police academies in the nation on their dime.
                              Seriously, the only reason I wanted to be a cop was so I could post anywhere on this forum.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6900 users online. 311 members and 6589 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X