Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

3 Seperate officer involved shootings new years eve in columbus...

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3 Seperate officer involved shootings new years eve in columbus...

Is this that common on new years?

COLUMBUS, Ohio—Three people remained in stable condition New Year’s Day after being shot by police in three separate incidents New Year’s Eve.

No officers were shot.

NBC 4’s Matt Alvarez reported with the FAST FACTS Thursday.

The suspects in each case were shooting their firearms in the air to celebrate the new year, according to Amanda Ford with Columbus police.

When police responded to each scene, officers gave shooters multiple verbal commands to stop before they shot the suspects.

Ford asked the media to remind citizens that it is illegal to discharge your firearm in celebration of the new year. At two of the three scenes, individuals and witnesses stated that it was legal to discharge your weapon to ring in the new year.

Alvarez offered the police reports for each incident:

- On Dec. 31, 2008, at 11:51 p.m., officers were responding to the area of Elaine Road on a report of shots fired. When officers arrived, they spotted a male suspect in front of 1490 Elaine Rd., Apt. C, firing shots into the air. As officers approached the suspect, he was given several verbal commands to put down the weapon, but the suspect failed to comply. At that time, one officer fired his shotgun, striking the male suspect in the leg. The suspect was taken to Grant Medical Center in stable condition. The suspects name will not be released until charges have been filed. Several witnesses at the scene stated the suspect was firing shots in celebration of the new year.

- On Dec. 31, 2008, at 11:57 p.m., officers were responding to 1046 E. 16th Ave. on reports of shots fired. When officers arrived, they approached the rear of the house and spotted several individuals on the back porch firing weapons into the air in celebration of the new year. Officers gave multiple verbal commands for the individuals to drop their weapons, but the suspects failed to comply. At that time, one officer fired his service weapon, striking one male suspect in the hand. The suspect was taken to Grant Medical Center in stable condition. No charges have been filed at this time pending further investigation.

- On Jan. 1, 2008, at 2:10 a.m., officers were responding to shots fired in front of 457 Cherry Dr. When officers arrived at the scene, they spotted several individuals standing outside. One suspect was holding an automatic rifle and firing shots into the air. Officers gave several verbal commands for the suspect to put down the weapon, but the suspect failed to comply. One officer fired his rifle, striking a female suspect in the arm. She was taken to Mount Carmel West Medical Center in stable condition. Several individuals were being questioned, but no charges have been filed at this time pending further investigation.

As in all police involved shootings, the involved officer(s) will receive mandated psychological support counseling. Officers also will be afforded an opportunity to take leave time to assist in recovery from a traumatic experience.

These incidents will be investigated by the critical incident response team (made up of specially trained investigators from the homicide squad) and the firearms/police-involved death review board.

New to me. Officers protected themselves, the perps were shot. Don't pull a gun around CPD officers, it's hazardous to your well being. Good job by my brother CPD officers. I think one officer used a rifle. I wish I had a rifle. May they all have a safe new year.
    The views/opinions expressed here are solely mine. I'm retired and I don't care. I truly do not want to offend anyone, but if you are thin skinned and have no sense of humor, you better find another line of work. Therefore, I don't have to be politically correct and I will exercise my freedom of speech, until it's taken away. May God bless all retirees. We've done our duty and earned our peace.

Comment

"At two of the three scenes, individuals and witnesses stated that it was legal to discharge your weapon to ring in the new year."

Comment

thats what you get in the 614
        sigpic

No, maybe I can't win, maybe the only thing I can do is just take everything he's got. But to beat me, he's gonna have to kill me, and to kill me, he's gonna have to have the heart to stand in front of me, and to do that, he's gotta be willing to die himself and I don't know if he's ready to do that. I don't know, I don't know.
        Rocky Balboa
        Rocky IV (1985)

Id rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6

Comment

Out of the three shootings I saw this three times: "but the suspect failed to comply"

It seems to me you should COMPLY. LoL

Comment

franklin county has a bunch of idiots.
            sigpic

No, maybe I can't win, maybe the only thing I can do is just take everything he's got. But to beat me, he's gonna have to kill me, and to kill me, he's gonna have to have the heart to stand in front of me, and to do that, he's gotta be willing to die himself and I don't know if he's ready to do that. I don't know, I don't know.
            Rocky Balboa
            Rocky IV (1985)

Id rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6

Comment

Originally posted by Lawenforcer72 View Post
              franklin county has a bunch of idiots.
              I agree... has the final budget been set yet?

Comment

not until mid feb

Comment

if its not done until mid February, FOP contract is not signed, people are going to retire there for needing new recruits. Why is the news making it seem as though the decision to not have a class next year is already made? I show this much interest because I went threw the process and made it in the 90 band. Plus I don't want to see the CPD have to work 6 working days. I want the CPD to be alert and safe while out on the streets keeping us safe.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9489 users online. 236 members and 9253 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X