Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Radar speed clock question for small village PD's in Ohio.

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radar speed clock question for small village PD's in Ohio.

I was told the other day a driver in the village of Brice received a radar clock speeding ticket for 28/25. I said, NO WAY. Three mph over the posted limit. Is this true? Do small village PD's write tickets for 3-5 mph over the limit? It's only a question, I don't want any arguments.
    The views/opinions expressed here are solely mine. I'm retired and I don't care. I truly do not want to offend anyone, but if you are thin skinned and have no sense of humor, you better find another line of work. Therefore, I don't have to be politically correct and I will exercise my freedom of speech, until it's taken away. May God bless all retirees. We've done our duty and earned our peace.

Maybe it goes to a mayor's court for a fine and no points? If true. it is chicken [email protected]@@.

Comment

Originally posted by just joe View Post
      If true. it is chicken [email protected]@@.
      Not necessarily.

I've made stops where no way, no how, the violator is getting off scot-free. If I write them for the actual offense, however, I know the situation will spiral out of their control and they'll end up paying far more than justice demands. The solution is to write them for a lesser included offense. The penalty will still hurt but it will be with their means.

It may look like chicken [email protected]@@ but the violator and I know what the score is.

Comment

11 over is my limit, and that's only because we have several residential streets that are 35 MPH, which I think is excessive. 46mph in a residential zone, despite being 35 mph zone, is too much.
        Seriously, the only reason I wanted to be a cop was so I could post anywhere on this forum.

Comment

Well Pop's, I have to say that I am amazed at your question! With what you put in your profile I would think you could answer your question yourself.

RKT
          "a band is blowing Dixie double four time You feel alright when you hear the music ring"

The real deal

Outshined Pujulesfan Bearcat Chitowndet Sgt Slaughter jthorpe M-11 Lt Borelli L-1Sgt CHP Nikk Smurf Presence1 IcecoldblueyesKimble LADEP ateamer ChiCity R.A.B. Jenners IrishMetal GoldBadge willowdared Monkeybomb PhilipCal pullicords Chit2001 Garbageman Narco CruiserClass Fuzz 10-42Trooper Tex4720 irishlad2nv bajakirch OnThe gurmpyirishmanNYIlliniSgtScott31 CityCopDCcgh6366 FJDave

Comment

Hey CPD, remember when the village of New Rome still existed and had their own PD a few years back out on the westside of Columbus? They even featured it on either 60 minutes or 20/20, can't remember which for having some of the worst speed traps in the country.

Anyway, I once heard of someone who was ticketed in New Rome for 0.5 MPH over the limit! That's right, HALF a mile an hour over. If that's true then I suppose anything is possible...

Comment

Originally posted by RoadKingTrooper View Post
              Well Pop's, I have to say that I am amazed at your question! With what you put in your profile I would think you could answer your question yourself.

RKT
              Pops! I really don't know how to take your response, but it's a simple question. I also don't know what's in my profile that could have answered the question. If I had to guess, it's that you and I worked during a different time, with different views on policing compared to this generation. Right? Nonetheless, I was mostly curious if any small village officers here in Ohio, could shed some light on speed limit traffic stops. Personally, when I worked radar my stop speed was 13+ over the posted limit. Pretty high compared to some jurisdiction officers, but that was the norm in my department for Patrol officers.
              The views/opinions expressed here are solely mine. I'm retired and I don't care. I truly do not want to offend anyone, but if you are thin skinned and have no sense of humor, you better find another line of work. Therefore, I don't have to be politically correct and I will exercise my freedom of speech, until it's taken away. May God bless all retirees. We've done our duty and earned our peace.

Comment

i wouldn't even turn an eye unless they are going at least 15 over.

Comment

Whether it is lame or not, 28 in a 25 is a violation.

I can't see writing for it most of the time, but stopping for it if you think something else is going on with that car - why not? It's a contact and maybe something comes out of it.

I don't worry about it until 10 over in residential zones, and then it was case by case if I wrote at 10. Mostly I warned up until 12/13 over, depending on the circumstances.
                  For every one hundred men you send us,
                  Ten should not even be here.
                  Eighty are nothing but targets.
                  Nine of them are real fighters;
                  We are lucky to have them, they the battle make.
                  Ah, but the one. One of them is a warrior.
                  And he will bring the others back.

Comment

i wont even look at you unless your atleast 10 over,unless im bored and am fishin for something bigger
                    www.kontroldkhaos.com

Comment

Originally posted by Columbus View Post
                      Anyway, I once heard of someone who was ticketed in New Rome for 0.5 MPH over the limit! That's right, HALF a mile an hour over. If that's true then I suppose anything is possible...
                      How do you cite someone for going a half mile an hour over the limit? It's not like there's a decimal point on speed measurement device readings. I've heard stories about New Rome and some overzealous speed enforcement, but don't believe everything you hear.
                      "He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
                      -Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

Originally posted by Bing_Oh View Post
                        How do you cite someone for going a half mile an hour over the limit? It's not like there's a decimal point on speed measurement device readings. I've heard stories about New Rome and some overzealous speed enforcement, but don't believe everything you hear.
                        Just something I was told, that's why I included the "if that's true". Could someone at least be stopped for that though?

And yeah, I don't know about 1/2 but I guarantee there was someone at some point in New Rome who was ticketed for 1 over. No, I haven't heard this before. But just knowing the way they used to be it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest.

Comment

Originally posted by Columbus View Post
                          Just something I was told, that's why I included the "if that's true". Could someone at least be stopped for that though?

And yeah, I don't know about 1/2 but I guarantee there was someone at some point in New Rome who was ticketed for 1 over. No, I haven't heard this before. But just knowing the way they used to be it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest.
                          If you can't measure speeds in fractions of miles per hour (and you can't, at least not with any speed measurement device I've ever seen), then you couldn't be stopped for it.
                          "He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
                          -Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

school zones 2mph is too much... residential-over 5 is too much... highways-10 is too much Interstates-13 too much

thats my guideline
                            sigpic

No, maybe I can't win, maybe the only thing I can do is just take everything he's got. But to beat me, he's gonna have to kill me, and to kill me, he's gonna have to have the heart to stand in front of me, and to do that, he's gotta be willing to die himself and I don't know if he's ready to do that. I don't know, I don't know.
                            Rocky Balboa
                            Rocky IV (1985)

Id rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6

Comment

standard patrol 13+ over

Step or OVI Wolfpack 10+ over

School zone/ residental 8+ over (this is our department minimum speed to do a traffic stop for speed).

I remember the village of New Rome. They caught an Ohio State Legislator once. That got the law passed in Ohio that prevented departments from doing traffic enforcement on an innerstate if the distance travelled was less then half a mile and when there was no innerstate entry or exit ramp in their jurisdiction. I believe this is what eventualy lead to their village police department folding.
                              Last edited by BC1260; 01-07-2009, 01:51 PM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9177 users online. 241 members and 8936 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X