Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What took you so long to leave, Chief Jackson?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What took you so long to leave, Chief Jackson?

Not a sad day for me. Now the department has a long road to recover from his regime. http://www.nbc4i.com/midwest/cmh/new...1-26-0013.html
    The views/opinions expressed here are solely mine. I'm retired and I don't care. I truly do not want to offend anyone, but if you are thin skinned and have no sense of humor, you better find another line of work. Therefore, I don't have to be politically correct and I will exercise my freedom of speech, until it's taken away. May God bless all retirees. We've done our duty and earned our peace.

Originally posted by CPD7297 View Post
    Not a sad day for me. Now the department has a long road to recover from his regime. http://www.nbc4i.com/midwest/cmh/new...1-26-0013.html
    There any truth to the rumor that Jackson played a huge buffer between Coleman and CPD?
    Seriously, the only reason I wanted to be a cop was so I could post anywhere on this forum.

Comment

Columbus allowing the department to accept open enrolement academy certification would be a terrible thing for the department. CPD has a great training program that you dont' get other places and keeps everyone on the same page and ensures consistent training. Not to mention the work relationships it builds from day one. I don't think you'd want to be "that guy" who went through a community college academy working with a bunch of seasoned CPD officers and tried to fit right in.

Wouldn't work.

Comment

It would work, people would just have to get over themselves and realize that academies do nothing but get you in shape... believe me i went through a "wonderful" 6 month academy...
        sigpic

No, maybe I can't win, maybe the only thing I can do is just take everything he's got. But to beat me, he's gonna have to kill me, and to kill me, he's gonna have to have the heart to stand in front of me, and to do that, he's gotta be willing to die himself and I don't know if he's ready to do that. I don't know, I don't know.
        Rocky Balboa
        Rocky IV (1985)

Id rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6

Comment

Not to argue for the sake of arguing, but it's my understanding that CPD reserves are also required to go through the CPD academy, at least that's how it was the last time I looked into it.

It is not a union issue, that makes no sense, it's a choice of the department. Would you berate NYPD, LAPD, OSHP, etc, etc, etc, for running their own academies?
          Seriously, the only reason I wanted to be a cop was so I could post anywhere on this forum.

Comment

Would it save money initially, probably. Would it be worth it in the long run, probably not. The city/department is also looking into liability. You put someone out there who isn't trained properly or up to par with someone else you are opening yourself up to all kinds of issues.

Your arguments about Detroit negate themselves. Look at the department, enough said. And Mansfield is not a large city by any stretch of the imagination. The first department I worked at was larger than that with a larger population. That is really not relevant anyhow because they don't have their own academy and they aren't Columbus. You are comparing working hand in hand with a small town PD with working in and for one of the largest cities in the nation with many inner city precincts and inner city problems. No comparison.

Going through the CPD academy is part of being a Columbus officer. Love it or hate it, thats how it is.

Comment

You would think they would take those guys who have already been through an open enrollment academy and put them through a 1-2 month course of all that "extra" stuff they teach the guys in the CPD academy. They already know the basics of the academy so there's no need to re-teach them all of it. I'm sure that would save some time and money.

Comment

Maybe they would but I still hardly think it makes it worth it.

Once you do that you have to figure out where to put these guys as far as seniority rankings. It would probably be at the bottom of all the hired recruits for the year which would bring out more arguements from the open enrollment.

They would spend just as much time and money showing guys the CPD way than they would just putting everyone through the academy. Plus you'd have to probably end up doing boxing and ground fighting every few days which would just SUCK after a few weeks

Comment

As far as seniority rankings, start them off at the bottom and if they don't like it then they can leave and give that spot to someone who is will to do whatever they have to do to get in. I would think learning the true "CPD way" (just like any other big city dept) is from the FTO. The 1-2 month course would at least show them the basics. I think Akron PD is going to be experimenting with a program like this.

Originally posted by JKralC104 View Post
                  Maybe they would but I still hardly think it makes it worth it.

Once you do that you have to figure out where to put these guys as far as seniority rankings. It would probably be at the bottom of all the hired recruits for the year which would bring out more arguements from the open enrollment.

They would spend just as much time and money showing guys the CPD way than they would just putting everyone through the academy. Plus you'd have to probably end up doing boxing and ground fighting every few days which would just SUCK after a few weeks

Comment

I don't know why you guys are arguing over hiring practices regarding CPD. The fact is, Columbus has had an academy for decades and will continue to have their own training academy for qualified applicants. If you believe the reports, Columbus has one of the top training facilities in the country. The major issue for the department is who will take charge...lead the troops forward, bring pride back to wearing the uniform. Jackson was a dinosaur, he was untouchable and he damn well knew it. I'm afraid the most qualified may not be the pick of Mayor Coleman and the Safety Director.
                    The views/opinions expressed here are solely mine. I'm retired and I don't care. I truly do not want to offend anyone, but if you are thin skinned and have no sense of humor, you better find another line of work. Therefore, I don't have to be politically correct and I will exercise my freedom of speech, until it's taken away. May God bless all retirees. We've done our duty and earned our peace.

Comment

Originally posted by thiscoplovescoins
                      The entire point is how they could save some money...Its just if someone has been working in the field already and has some experience I feel they should get credit for it.
                      You have a valid point. But little people like you and I are not going to change city hall. Having experienced the inner workings of CPD, they do waste funds. But name any department or business that does not waste money. Regarding past field experience, again that is a valid point. But, CPD must feel it's to the departments benefit to train the "CPD way" from the start. Case in point, was the former out-of-state trooper in my class. I don't believe the staff was impressed with him, nor was I as a recruit and he being an "experienced" officer approaching 10 years on the street. In fact most of his screw ups were during field training, traffic stops, self defense, etc. The system is what it is and it will not change.

Comment

Originally posted by CPD7297 View Post
                        But little people like you and I are not going to change city hall.
                        Would I love to apply to CPD as a lateral applicant and save myself the hassle of at least SOME of the process? Absolutely. Would I love to apply to CPD knowing that I wouldn't have to repeat the academy? Of course.

The thing is, I recognize that CPD doesn't care what I, or you, want. So given that, why waste my energy.

On a side note, I don't see why people get so hung up about repeating the academy. I know several firemen who say the same thing "I'd love to go to CFD, but screw going back to the academy and being a rookie again". I just don't get that mentality. It's paid, it's extra training, you might pick something up you didn't know before, and hell I'd love to go get paid to have a personal trainer for 5 days a week for 6 months. I could also care less about being a rookie again. In agencies that size, no one is a true rookie for too terribly long, not in experience or seniority.

Comment

CPD7297, you said that you think that coleman and the safety director will not pick the most qualified, are you speaking in terms of future hiring practices or picking a chief? Just curious, because I don't entirely trust coleman when it comes to hiring the right people either. Hopefully the idea of affirmitave action isnt explored again....

Comment

How did this topic get turned to OPOTA vs. CPD own academy.

My two cents worth...having worked with every major agency in the state on cases over the last 22 years, and still in the game....CPD officers are exemplary, the program works for them.

I am hopeful the city will bring to the agency the vision and leadership to take CPD to the next level. Our city is faced with tremendous crime issues, we have the finest officers serving any city of this size in the country...what they need now is vision, integrity and leadership to move forward and up.
                            The Big O

OhioNarc
                            Northeast Ohio

"There will be no peace until they (terrorist) love their children more than they hate ours"

DISCLAIMER: All opinions herein are mine, they do not reflect the opinions or position of my employing agency nor do they reflect any position of the agency.

Comment

Originally posted by OhioNarc View Post
                              ...what they need now is vision, integrity and leadership to move forward and up.
                              BINGO! That's exactly what I'm talking about regarding the next chief. Jackson was the old guard. Hopefully the new chief will move the department into the future. That's why I wouldn't be against an outsider with fresh ideas being appointed. But, the current contract does not allow that, so the mayor will pick his favorite sidekick/puppet and it may not be who you think is the most qualified.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 11912 users online. 443 members and 11469 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X