Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My understanding of civil service rules is that when the current test expires then the list will be no good. Everyone on that list will need to retest. Don't forget that this isn't the first time that they haven't had a recruit class. The state (OSP) hasn't had one in quite awhile. My brother in law works at CFD and says they will be severly hurt if there are no fire classes next year. I guess that there's a large amount of firefighters in the D.R.O.P. program that will be leaving soon.
    "Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway"
    “Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.”
    “If you've got them by the balls their hearts and minds will follow.”
    “A horse is a horse,it ain´t make a difference what color it is.”
    -John Wayne

Comment

There are other agencies in central Ohio hiring, Gahanna, Whitehall, and Dublin all have openings

Comment

FYI - Gahanna & Dublin are not hiring. Also the Whitehall position is a maximum age of 34 (verified with their HR as maximum).

Comment

Gahanna is hiring two to three now and will be able to hire two to three next year with the scheduled retirements. I know Dublin has two to three open patrol slots for their next test.

Comment

Does anyone know when the final 2009 budget will come out?

Also, spoke with civil serivice today and they said a list is good for two years from the day they give the test results.

Comment

FYI Whitehall does not have an opening, they are giving a test. Also for the record, there's not been a Whitehall list that they haven't hired off of for many many years.

And yes the above is correct, there is a max age, and they do not make any exceptions for previous service in the military or police and fire pension fund.
              Seriously, the only reason I wanted to be a cop was so I could post anywhere on this forum.

Comment

In terms of OHIO LE jobs my advice would be to GET OUT GET OUT GET OUT!
                MPDC:
                8/11/08 - Applied
                11/1/08 - Post Test/Orientation
                11/1/08 - Blue Book Submitted
                11/20/08 -Post Scores Received
                12/12/08 - BI Assigned
                1/28/09 - Med -Psych Taken
                2/25/09 - Med - Psych Passed
                2/25/09 - Hiring Decision Pending (Review Board)
                2/27/09 - HIRED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by thiscoplovescoins
                  I got out and spent 2000.00 doing so only get get rejected because of a hiring freeze. Now getting out might be good and I am still looking here in Ohio and outside of it. However, you task a larger risk in some places than others.
                  Believe me I feel your pain. My only reason for moving to CO was for the CPD. It was frustrating feel like I ****ed a year of my life away testing and waiting, but I just got proactive and found other departments that were hiring. Columbus is a GREAT department though so I am let down to have to leave. I've been working with the DC Metro Police now and am in the last phase of that process, but I can tell that their dept. is not nearly as good as CPD, but hey... I [I]gotta[I] follow my dreams!

You'll fine something soon, CPD is not going to be on a freeze forever anyway. I talked with a sergeant yesterday, he said there will be no classes in 09, but there will be about 70 officers retiring so they are going to have to make some moves soon.

Good Luck to you and keep your head up!
                  MPDC:
                  8/11/08 - Applied
                  11/1/08 - Post Test/Orientation
                  11/1/08 - Blue Book Submitted
                  11/20/08 -Post Scores Received
                  12/12/08 - BI Assigned
                  1/28/09 - Med -Psych Taken
                  2/25/09 - Med - Psych Passed
                  2/25/09 - Hiring Decision Pending (Review Board)
                  2/27/09 - HIRED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by sgtbambam View Post
                    My understanding of civil service rules is that when the current test expires then the list will be no good. Everyone on that list will need to retest. Don't forget that this isn't the first time that they haven't had a recruit class. The state (OSP) hasn't had one in quite awhile. My brother in law works at CFD and says they will be severly hurt if there are no fire classes next year. I guess that there's a large amount of firefighters in the D.R.O.P. program that will be leaving soon.

Well techincally all the folks tht got in DROP in the first wave have to leave by Jan 24th 2011. That gives them the full 8 yrs in DROP. Of course many people have been retiring prio to that but at my dept (Canton, Oh) the guys that have made it this far are staying til then. So, statewide, if they are in Police and Fire Disability Pension they have the same DROP issues as everyone else. What that means is that in jan of 2011 there will be a boat load of depts hiring.
                    Last edited by ess286; 11-22-2008, 03:05 PM. Reason: misspelling

Comment

soo in reading the proposed budget, it says "no new police classes will be funded in 2009", does that mean technically we are looking at 2 or 3 straight cancelled classes? If you go by the usual schedule of a july and december class. Isnt that around 150 new hires.

Comment

Today I recieved a second certification letter from civil service. The first letter I received shortly after my oral boards in April 2008 and now in November 2008. The only difference in the letter is the certification number. What does this certification letter mean?

Comment

Yeah I got one of those letters back in July. No idea what it means but I'll keep an eye out for a second one

Comment

Yeah I got one of those letters back in July. No idea what it means but I'll keep an eye out for a second one. By the way, do us nov '07 testers have to retest in a year since we will expire on the list before they hire another class? Jeez this stuff really makes you want to leave Ohio, but from what I hear things are getting bad in other states too.

Comment

Not sure if we have to retest in Nov. of 2009. Thats why I wanted to know what the certification letter meant? Does it mean that we have to test again in two years from the certification date? I have no idea what to make of it. I talked to civil service before I recieved the letter and the guy said we have to retest 2 years from the day the results of the test come out. For me that would be Jan. 2010

Comment

Instead of staring at it take some initiative and go to the Personnel/Civil Service dept with the letter and ask them. I'm sure the process is just like any other dept, if you don't have a conditional offer for appointment be for the list expires, then you have to retest the next time they give it.

Originally posted by cmsd380 View Post
                                Not sure if we have to retest in Nov. of 2009. Thats why I wanted to know what the certification letter meant? Does it mean that we have to test again in two years from the certification date? I have no idea what to make of it. I talked to civil service before I recieved the letter and the guy said we have to retest 2 years from the day the results of the test come out. For me that would be Jan. 2010

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6397 users online. 259 members and 6138 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X