300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No Classes for Columbus in 2009?

I am looking for comments or opinions about the mayors proposal to have no classes for fire or police during the entire year of 2009. Good idea? Bad idea? Will it last? Dont forget that the police and fire contracts are not signed yet.

Its not good at all but I'm sure as hell glad there are no police or fire layoffs in the making.

Comment

A friend of mine that works for CPD said the safety director actually recommended laying off the current academy class but it was shot down by the Mayor.

Comment

Words can't discribe how ****ed I am right now. I wasted my time with there entire process and now their not going to hire. I took the test in november of 2007, will my list expire in november of 2009 or will they still consider me next time they hire in 2010?

Comment

so are they for sure not going to hire in 09???

Comment

Originally posted by Jsosenk1 View Post
            so are they for sure not going to hire in 09???
            The Safety Director recommended to lay off the current academy but the Mayor shot it down..That tells me that hiring new officers 2009 is the last of their worries. It looks like their not hiring in 2009!

Comment

I would like to know if the November 2007 list i'm on will expire or will they use it next time they hire?????????

Comment

its looks pretty bad. this article makes it sound like there won't be any hiring in 2010 either if new money isn't found. looks pretty bleak.

http://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/...0/daily36.html

Comment

Don't feed into all of this just yet...first, it's a PROPOSAL, and secondly there has to be approval by city council. Also they are going to hold at least two public hearings on the budget cuts so mabey the people of columbus will show their support for emergency workers.

I as well as a few of my friends are in their process right now. One guy just had his in home interview, supposedly they MAY be projecting a Febuary class and possibly one in the summer time. Just a thought. But please by all means if you've given up on them, I'll take your spot!!! haha just kidding....but seriously.

Also to the person who's been on the list since 2007, they place you in a pool with everyone else that has tested and gone through the process since then. So there is a good possibility that someone that scored higher on the B-Pad overridded your scores.

Don't let coleman scare you with his big scary proposals. there are quite a few cuts that he's wanting to make that I dont think people in COlumbus will look to kindly at.

Comment

Where is the $700 billion bailout for the city's and states who can't afford to hire police or firefighters anymore?

Comment

Keep the faith. If you think the city is out of money you are mistaken. The public safety department accounts for over 70-some% of the cities operating budget. Naturally with it being a contract year, the city has a lot at stake as far as paying salaries goes. This is a fairly common tactic used by places to keep negotiations quiet but on the other hand, the economy hasn't been this "bad" during such events.

As far as the bailout money is concerned, I tihnk that is doing more harm than good but that is a whole other topic.

Comment

Originally posted by uanick View Post
                        Don't feed into all of this just yet...first, it's a PROPOSAL, and secondly there has to be approval by city council. Also they are going to hold at least two public hearings on the budget cuts so mabey the people of columbus will show their support for emergency workers.

I as well as a few of my friends are in their process right now. One guy just had his in home interview, supposedly they MAY be projecting a Febuary class and possibly one in the summer time. Just a thought. But please by all means if you've given up on them, I'll take your spot!!! haha just kidding....but seriously.

Also to the person who's been on the list since 2007, they place you in a pool with everyone else that has tested and gone through the process since then. So there is a good possibility that someone that scored higher on the B-Pad overridded your scores.

Don't let coleman scare you with his big scary proposals. there are quite a few cuts that he's wanting to make that I dont think people in COlumbus will look to kindly at.
                        I'm not sure where your getting your information uanick but the Mayor proposed to not hire police for 2009. This means Febuary and summer class is all BS. I finished the entire process in May of 2008 and my BI told me its up to the Mayor's budget.

Comment

That's just what my friend's BI told him two weeks ago, so whether it was true or not, I can't say.

Comment

If what your friends BI told him is true, Im sure that will wait to be approved until two things happen. 1. The budget has to be approved by city council. 2. The contract needs to be signed. I had heard that the president of the F.O.P. is of course pushing for a class to go through being that 25% of the police force HAS to retire in 2011. Although it does not sound good right now and the budget PROPOSAL was not what a lot of us wanted to hear nothings is guaranteed. Dont allow yourself to get too discouraged yet. Until the budget is finalized, and the contract is signed. It is all just proposals, and ideas!

Comment

I work for CPD. How I understand it is that they "May Freeze" the 2009 classes. That does not mean that they will throw out the lists, candidates, ect... and start all over from scratch in 2010. I would imaging that they would not want to lose the money already invested in you guys. You may have to be put on a holding pattern for a year or so but stick it out. A new contract will be signed and we are going to have mass retirements. We need you guys bad. Your day will come. Stay focused and positive. Your not applying to Walmart (No offense to Walmart people) If you truely want to become part of the Division, you will. Stay will your current job for now and if you can, keep knocking out college courses if you don't have a degree yet. Good Luck!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 14291 users online. 454 members and 13837 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X