300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am officially a sworn officer

Sworn in tonight as a paid part-time officer, which is the position I had been wanting. As most of you know from my previous posts, I'm not ready to completely give up the fire service yet, so I had to search a little harder to find departments that were hiring part-timers and not just full timers.

In February of 2007 I signed up for the academy, started in September of 2007, took my fitness exam in March 2008, my OPOTA in May 2008, and start my FTO tomorrow. It's been a long journey, and I'm ready to enter the next chapter of my life

and now I can post anywhere, nyah :P
    Seriously, the only reason I wanted to be a cop was so I could post anywhere on this forum.

Congrats man! Here in NC we have a couple "Public Safety" Departments that do both LE and Fire, and they tend to pay better than just a normal PD; you guys don't have anything like that up there?

Comment

Congrats and be safe.
      This profession is not for people looking for positive reinforcement from the public. Very often it can be a thankless job and you can't desire accolades, because those are not usually forthcoming. Just do your job to the best of your ability and live with the decisions you've made.

Comment

Originally posted by naprieto View Post
        Congrats man! Here in NC we have a couple "Public Safety" Departments that do both LE and Fire, and they tend to pay better than just a normal PD; you guys don't have anything like that up there?
        We have one in my immediate area that I will be applying to when my wife finishes nursing school. Sadly it pays slightly less than what I make now. There is another one that pays substantially more than what I make now, but it would require a move, and we're pretty settled in to our community
        Seriously, the only reason I wanted to be a cop was so I could post anywhere on this forum.

Comment

Originally posted by FiremanMike View Post
          Sworn in tonight as a paid part-time officer, which is the position I had been wanting. As most of you know from my previous posts, I'm not ready to completely give up the fire service yet, so I had to search a little harder to find departments that were hiring part-timers and not just full timers.

In February of 2007 I signed up for the academy, started in September of 2007, took my fitness exam in March 2008, my OPOTA in May 2008, and start my FTO tomorrow. It's been a long journey, and I'm ready to enter the next chapter of my life

and now I can post anywhere, nyah :P

Just curious, is the dept that you're working PT for offering any kind of benefits? I've always wondered if part timers get the same benefits that the full timers do.

Comment

You did it!

Mike, you and I have had communication via this forum in the short past and I know you were working hard for this position. Congratulations...great job. Stay safe.
            The views/opinions expressed here are solely mine. I'm retired and I don't care. I truly do not want to offend anyone, but if you are thin skinned and have no sense of humor, you better find another line of work. Therefore, I don't have to be politically correct and I will exercise my freedom of speech, until it's taken away. May God bless all retirees. We've done our duty and earned our peace.

Comment

Originally posted by mikol427 View Post
              Just curious, is the dept that you're working PT for offering any kind of benefits? I've always wondered if part timers get the same benefits that the full timers do.
              I applied at several, each had different advantages and disadvantages. Some paid into PERS, some provided everything, others you had to buy everything.

Sadly this particular department doesn't provide any beneifts and I had to supply my own gear. Since I have insurance and retirement already through the fire department I wasn't too concerned, and the advantage of being more convenient was worth it.

Thanks CPD, for all your support so far

Comment

Mike,
                I have a second set of leather gear and some other equipment. If you still need anything let me know!

Comment

I might hit you up for a second set of handcuffs, I'll let you know, thanks!!

Comment

Small town, probably right around 5000 population, rather poor area. I can honestly say that none of the departments that I applied to were random, each had it's own advantages and disadvantages.

This one was pretty close to home, has it's own high school (fun for sports events), and has some fun, young, motivated guys..

Comment

Congrats man! I just started at a sheriff's office full time this past week. Its fun so far, and it sounds like me, you and cpd are very close to eachother.
                      sigpic

No, maybe I can't win, maybe the only thing I can do is just take everything he's got. But to beat me, he's gonna have to kill me, and to kill me, he's gonna have to have the heart to stand in front of me, and to do that, he's gotta be willing to die himself and I don't know if he's ready to do that. I don't know, I don't know.
                      Rocky Balboa
                      Rocky IV (1985)

Id rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6885 users online. 390 members and 6495 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X