300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Want to be a LEO???

For those who can relocate....Washington DC is the hot spot for policing jobs right now. Capitol Police, DC Metro Police, Pentagon Police, Alexandria Police, Georgetown University; are all hiring now, with great benefits packages, nice salaries...etc.

I have officially givven up on OHIO LE jobs. Columbus is playing too many games!!!
    MPDC:
    8/11/08 - Applied
    11/1/08 - Post Test/Orientation
    11/1/08 - Blue Book Submitted
    11/20/08 -Post Scores Received
    12/12/08 - BI Assigned
    1/28/09 - Med -Psych Taken
    2/25/09 - Med - Psych Passed
    2/25/09 - Hiring Decision Pending (Review Board)
    2/27/09 - HIRED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There is more to Ohio than Columbus. Take a look at the cost of living in DC before you go ga-ga over whatever it is they pay.

Comment

You're right... and I understand the cost of living is higher out in the DC area. But when policing is your passion. You will be able to pay a couple more hundreds dollars for rent or mortgage to do something that youknow you would absolutely love. This may just be my point of view, however I am just tired of sitting around waiting to follow my dreams for maybes. Columbus PD - MAY BE having an academy in 2009. Cinn, the same, Cleveland, the same. Toledo, who knows HR does not tell you anything.

So I will follow my dreams and loose a couple of thousand dollars a year. Policing for me is more than about salary. I would honestly be a cop for 25,000 a year, part time, volunteer, who cares as long as I could get out there and follow my dream. Who Cares!!
      MPDC:
      8/11/08 - Applied
      12/12/08 - BI Assigned

Comment

When I was young and single I had the same attitude. Best of luck to you.

Comment

Originally posted by IllTaCTiCz View Post
          You're right... and I understand the cost of living is higher out in the DC area. But when policing is your passion. You will be able to pay a couple more hundreds dollars for rent or mortgage to do something that youknow you would absolutely love. This may just be my point of view, however I am just tired of sitting around waiting to follow my dreams for maybes. Columbus PD - MAY BE having an academy in 2009. Cinn, the same, Cleveland, the same. Toledo, who knows HR does not tell you anything.

So I will follow my dreams and loose a couple of thousand dollars a year. Policing for me is more than about salary. I would honestly be a cop for 25,000 a year, part time, volunteer, who cares as long as I could get out there and follow my dream. Who Cares!!
          Don't give up on Ohio yet......If you put your self through an academy you'll have a batter chance at getting on some where. Most suburbs give any where from 10-15% extra on written tests for individuals who already have their O.P.O.T.A. All so, there's always smaller suburbs, villages and townships that appoint part-timers who already have their O.P.O.T.A. Just search the Internet and look up every city, village and township near you. Most of them post the positions on their web sites, under the HR section.

Comment

Originally posted by mikol427 View Post
            Don't give up on Ohio yet......If you put your self through an academy you'll have a batter chance at getting on some where. Most suburbs give any where from 10-15% extra on written tests for individuals who already have their O.P.O.T.A. All so, there's always smaller suburbs, villages and townships that appoint part-timers who already have their O.P.O.T.A. Just search the Internet and look up every city, village and township near you. Most of them post the positions on their web sites, under the HR section.
            +1, if you want it that bad, put yourself through the academy. There is much more to Ohio than the four cities you named, most of which require you to be certified to apply. Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by LPI View Post
              +1, if you want it that bad, put yourself through the academy. There is much more to Ohio than the four cities you named, most of which require you to be certified to apply. Good luck!
              I agree with that. I guess being a city boy I always wanted to work in one of the bigger cities. And being from Ohio I was basically making this state my only choice. However, I interned at the Wood County Sheriff's Office for about 6 months in college and I had a good ole' time on those country roads, doing village time, and sitting at crosswalks. . I seriously did, thats not sarcasm. But I was so happy to almost be there I took the written passed physical passed....then hey by the way after 8 months of testing and waiting...NO ACADEMY!! So i figure I should try my hand somewhere else.

Not saying that the same will not happen, so maybe I do need to just put myself through academy. I would probably be a cop by now if I would have done a looooong time ago.
              MPDC:
              8/11/08 - Applied
              12/12/08 - BI Assigned

Comment

I just don't understand guys whining about, this department isn't hiring, I can't find a job in Ohio LE, etc. When I was in the military I wrote at least 25 letters to departments in Ohio requesting test information. I took tests in Miamisburg, Fairborn, Akron, Cleveland, Columbus, and Cincinnati. Some were out of reach because I wasn't a current city resident. Two were in the running at the same time, and the starting date in the academy was separated by a month. I was hired and subsequently retired with 25 years service. This all began in 1971. So, don't think you guys are the only ones trying to find a position in Ohio LE. Granted the times are tougher financially, but ****, if you really want a career in LE and Ohio is not offering, look elsewhere. If not, try other branches of LE, or be a firefighter. Maybe it's just me, but I just do not remember so much 'whining' about this or that. There's no crying in policework.
                The views/opinions expressed here are solely mine. I'm retired and I don't care. I truly do not want to offend anyone, but if you are thin skinned and have no sense of humor, you better find another line of work. Therefore, I don't have to be politically correct and I will exercise my freedom of speech, until it's taken away. May God bless all retirees. We've done our duty and earned our peace.

Comment

I have been in law enforcement for little over one year and it is the greatest job in the world. If you are not willing to put in the hard work to get the job, you don't deserve it.
                  I took civil service tests for Dayton, Akron, Columbus, Cincinnatti, Gahanna, New Albany, Dublin, Whitehall, Lancaster and Reynoldsburg. I continued on past the initial test for nine of those tests. I don't even want to know how many hours I spent in the hiring process but when I finally got a job it was all worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by bill198483 View Post
                    If you are not willing to put in the hard work to get the job, you don't deserve it.

I took civil service tests for Dayton, Akron, Columbus, Cincinnatti, Gahanna, New Albany, Dublin, Whitehall, Lancaster and Reynoldsburg.
                    That's what I'm talking about. No whining or bitching, just hard aggressive work. You are the kind of officer I would want on my department or as a partner. The cry babies can go work elsewhere. Congratulations, you fulfilled your dream. You stay safe.
                    The views/opinions expressed here are solely mine. I'm retired and I don't care. I truly do not want to offend anyone, but if you are thin skinned and have no sense of humor, you better find another line of work. Therefore, I don't have to be politically correct and I will exercise my freedom of speech, until it's taken away. May God bless all retirees. We've done our duty and earned our peace.

Comment

Originally posted by CPD7297 View Post
                      That's what I'm talking about. No whining or bitching, just hard aggressive work. You are the kind of officer I would want on my department or as a partner. The cry babies can go work elsewhere. Congratulations, you fulfilled your dream. You stay safe.
                      I think you gentlemen are missing the point a bit. As I previously said, I was scheduled to be in this 2008/2009 class. However, it was cancelled. My contentions are not about hard work, being a sissy, or crying (bitching) about anything. I had done everything I was to do, spent hours in the selection process, as some, took B-PADs...etc, and was subsequently put on hold. In my opinion it seems normal that one would become frustrated in this as I did. However, frustration should not be misconstrued as bitching or not deserving of a policing job. I was and AM ready for the hard work, academy, years of service, and all the things that policing is going to entail, whether here or elsewhere. "Just put me in the game coach" - that's my motto. Good Day
                      MPDC:
                      8/11/08 - Applied
                      12/12/08 - BI Assigned

Comment

You might want to look into the State of Washington for jobs. The head instructor of my lateral academy told the class the state is budgeted to put through 900 cadets in the academy. Plus most departments pay pretty well.

Comment

I work in Wash. DC and I dunno what you are talking about for a "few hundred dollars" more about rent....

Housing in this area is Off the hook.... think long and hard before jumping in to Wash. DC with both feet. I love my job, and get paid great, but a single family house to buy, in a decent area, is a minimum $375-400K.....

Some areas that have good rental rates, you'll need to carry 2 guns, and you still might not feel safe....

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5305 users online. 225 members and 5080 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X