300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jackson Retiring

Does anyone have any ideas on how Chief Jackson's retirement will affect chances for academy classes? Since he was a huge supporter of hiring more officers I wondered if this would be the final nail for classes in 2009?

"Police Chief Jackson announces retirement
    Defamation lawsuit is settled
    Friday, October 3, 2008 2:08 PM
    Updated: Friday, October 3, 2008 05:28 PM
    By John Futty
    THE COLUMBUS DISPATCH

Police Chief James G. Jackson has agreed to settle his longstanding defamation lawsuit against the city and retire in early 2009 after 51 years in the division.

Mayor Michael B. Coleman and Jackson released a joint statement announcing the settlement and retirement this afternoon.

"It has given me great pride to watch our officers perform their duties with integrity, courage, compassion and a sense of duty," Jackson said in the statement."
    Full Story:
    http://www.dispatch.com/live/content...t.html?sid=101

I heard Mayor Coleman is naming the academy after Chief Jackson. Why? Hmmm, give it your best guess. I think it will take the department years to recover from his dinosaur policing policies. I know the internal fighting will begin for the next Chief. Let the rumors begin. Will it be the other high ranking dinosaur, no maybe a female, no a black? It should be fun to watch. Personally, I'd like to see an outsider be appointed, with a new look, fresh ideas, with no attachment to any past CPD 'good old boy' kissing up to brass. Yes, Chief Jackson did support more officers for the department, but maybe the financial situation will dictate whether a new class will start soon.
    The views/opinions expressed here are solely mine. I'm retired and I don't care. I truly do not want to offend anyone, but if you are thin skinned and have no sense of humor, you better find another line of work. Therefore, I don't have to be politically correct and I will exercise my freedom of speech, until it's taken away. May God bless all retirees. We've done our duty and earned our peace.

Comment

part of jacksons deal to retire was that they would name a training facility after him.

Should be interesting to see who gets appointed by Coleman as Chief.

Comment

I dont know what to think about Chief Jackson retiring. Some say it is a good thing others say its only going to make things worse. I did like the fact that Jackson would fight for more classes and better equipment through funding. However I dont know that anything will make a difference until Mayor Coleman proposes his budget for '09. It will be interesting to see who is appointed and what changes are made if any. For those CPD officers on here I am curious to what you opinion is on who will be the next Chief and how it will effect the department?

......Stay safe!!!

Comment

Originally posted by CPD7297 View Post
          Personally, I'd like to see an outsider be appointed, with a new look, fresh ideas, with no attachment to any past CPD 'good old boy' kissing up to brass.
          i believe i read in the dispatch in one of the recent articles about him retireing is that the chief has to be appointed from within the dept. by city charter.

Comment

I'm sure they'll appoint a guy from inside to be acting chief. They'd be smart to do a nationwide search. A lot of good people out there.
            -Stay safe

Comment

The city charter approved in 1999 requires the new chief be hired from within the dept. and it must be a deputy chief or commander with certain requirements for years in that position. Here's an article from the Dispatch.
              __________________________________________________ _____________

http://www.dispatch.com/live/content...f.html?sid=101

Retirement-delay option might limit police chief candidate pool
              Friday, October 10, 2008 11:21 PM
              By John Futty

THE COLUMBUS DISPATCH
              A deferred-retirement plan created to keep police officers and firefighters working longer could eliminate some of the most experienced candidates for the job of Columbus police chief.

Chief James G. Jackson's decision last week to settle his defamation lawsuit with the city and retire in March puts into motion a change in the way chiefs serve. Under a charter amendment approved by voters in 1999, future chiefs are limited to two five-year terms.

Those enrolled in the Deferred Retirement Option Plan, launched in January 2003, must retire within eight years of enrollment or forfeit all pension funds that accrued while they delayed leaving the Police Division. That could mean surrendering hundreds of thousands of dollars.

Any candidates for the chief's job who enrolled in DROP in January 2003 must retire by January 2011 to keep their accumulated benefits.

"It could have a big impact" on the selection process, said Assistant City Attorney Jeffrey Furbee, police legal adviser.

He said no one has asked the city attorney's office to research the issue.

Assistant Public Safety Director George Speaks and Dan Williamson, spokesman for Mayor Michael B. Coleman, said they are aware of potential complications created by the program, but they have yet to explore how it would affect any individual candidate.

Finding out isn't easy. Enrollment status is "privileged information," said David Graham, spokesman for the Ohio Police and Fire Pension Fund, which administers the program. The only information shared with police departments is the number of employees enrolled.

He said 254 members of the Columbus Police Division are in the program, but he did not have a breakdown by rank.

The charter change limits the safety director, who works for the mayor, to selecting the chief from among the division's deputy chiefs and commanders.

It appears that all five deputy chiefs and 13 of the 18 commanders have become eligible for DROP since it was launched, based on a Dispatch review of their ages and years of service. Applicants are eligible at 48 years old with 25 years in a police or fire division.

Four commanders who don't qualify for DROP are ineligible for the chief's job because they won't meet the civil-service requirement of having served as a commander for at least five years by March 16, Jackson's retirement date.

Civil-service rules also require chief candidates to hold at least a bachelor's degree. Speaks said it is unknown how many candidates will be eliminated by that requirement.

Deputy Chief Walter Distelzweig, 57, confirmed today that he is enrolled in DROP, but he declined to say when he enrolled. He also would not comment on his interest in the chief's job.

The other deputy chiefs were out of the office or did not return phone messages.

If each deputy chief joined DROP when he became eligible, none would be able to serve one full, five-year term as chief without abandoning his accumulated pension.

The state began offering the program to encourage veteran police officers and firefighters to serve three to eight years beyond the date when they could retire.

In return, the money they would receive as pension goes into a special account where it is adjusted for the cost of living and earns 5 percent interest. The money is paid out in a lump sum when the officer or firefighter retires. The pension rate is based on the average of the employee's three highest-paid years.

It was estimated in 2005 that an officer whose three-year average was $60,000 at the time of enrollment would collect a payout of $128,041 after three years and $431,710 after eight years. Deputy chiefs in Columbus make $126,696 annually.

Graham, the pension fund spokesman, said the law allows someone to take DROP retirement but return to a police or fire job after waiting two months.

But the head of the local police union said he would object to any plan allowing a deputy chief or commander to retire, collect the DROP payout, then be rehired and named chief.

"You lose your rank the day you retire," said Sgt. Jim Gilbert, president of the Fraternal Order of Police Capital City Lodge No. 9. "We'd contend that they'd return to the rank of officer."

[email protected]

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 12729 users online. 485 members and 12244 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X