Biographical Info
    Tour of Duty: 21 years
    Badge Number: 1321

Incident Details
    Cause of Death: Duty related illness
    Date of Incident: Thursday, August 21, 2008
    Weapon Used: Not available
    Suspect Info: Not available

Police Officer Timothy Haley died from brain bleed that he suffered while taking part in department training.

Officer Haley was a member of the SWAT team and was engaged in a SWAT physical excursion training exercise when he began to suffer from pain in the head and fell unconscious.

He was taken to the hospital, where it was determined that a blood vessel in his brain had ruptured, and that he was brain dead. Officer Haley remained on life support for five days so that his organs could be donated.

Officer Haley had served with the Columbus Division of Police for 21 years. He is survived by his wife, three children, mother, brother and sisters.

---

I read on nbc4i mobile that the family had to file for early retirement while he was on his deathbed, that doesn't really make sense to me..
    Seriously, the only reason I wanted to be a cop was so I could post anywhere on this forum.

RIP Officer Haley! Thank you for your dedicated service to the Columbus citizens and the surrounding communities. May God provide comfort for your family and friends in their hour of need. Serve with St Michael and watch over the brethren. God bless you!

Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Comment

Mike, I didn't quite understand the early retirement deal either. They said the family lost out on $36,000 in benefits.
      RIP Tim. What a sad tragedy! He leaves behind his wife and 3 little boys-9, 7 and 4. My thoughts and prayers are being sent!

Comment

Originally posted by FiremanMike View Post
        http://odmp.org/officer/19533-police...mothy-a.-haley

Police Officer Timothy A. Haley
        Columbus Division of Police
        Ohio
        End of Watch: Tuesday, August 26, 2008

I read on nbc4i mobile that the family had to file for early retirement while he was on his deathbed, that doesn't really make sense to me..
        I saw that on the news as well, and was immediately confused. I never heard of such a thing occurring regarding 'early retirement' under those circumstances. Maybe if it's proved it was an on-duty death, the department would be mandated to provide additional benefits to the family and the city attorney's pushed/forced the family to sign off for the early retirement bailout. Just a thought, something seems a miss.

RIP Ofc. Haley
        The views/opinions expressed here are solely mine. I'm retired and I don't care. I truly do not want to offend anyone, but if you are thin skinned and have no sense of humor, you better find another line of work. Therefore, I don't have to be politically correct and I will exercise my freedom of speech, until it's taken away. May God bless all retirees. We've done our duty and earned our peace.

Comment

My thoughts and prayers go out to the men and women of the Columbus Police as well as the family of Officer Haley.

Comment

It is my understanding that the early retirement decision was thoroughly examined by the family, dept., FOP, FOP attys, etc...... and was determined to be the best route for the wife and her 3 young boys. I'm assuming the $36,000 in benefits that they would not be receiving is from the "death club". That is when an active officer dies, each member of the dept contributes $20 to the family- it's taken out of the paycheck. Instead, each member has been urged to contribute at least $20 to CME to the family fund.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitman2 View Post
              It is my understanding that the early retirement decision was thoroughly examined by the family, dept., FOP, FOP attys, etc...... and was determined to be the best route for the wife and her 3 young boys.
              Since his death was during a training session and may have been considered an "in the line of duty" death, I'm curious where you obtained your information that it was beneficial for the family to sign off for an early retirement.
              The views/opinions expressed here are solely mine. I'm retired and I don't care. I truly do not want to offend anyone, but if you are thin skinned and have no sense of humor, you better find another line of work. Therefore, I don't have to be politically correct and I will exercise my freedom of speech, until it's taken away. May God bless all retirees. We've done our duty and earned our peace.

Comment

Originally posted by CPD7297 View Post
                Since his death was during a training session and may have been considered an "in the line of duty" death, I'm curious where you obtained your information that it was beneficial for the family to sign off for an early retirement.
                IMHO it would be a good assumption that it was beneficial, seeing as that's what they did. My wife is well aware of my LODD benefits, and I'm sure most wives are. I'm sure the decision was not taken lightly.
                Seriously, the only reason I wanted to be a cop was so I could post anywhere on this forum.

Comment

R.I.P. Tim

Comment

CPD, I sent you a pm.
                    No Mike, I don't think it was taken lightly.
                    RIP Officer Haley. My thoughts and prayers are with his family.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3029 users online. 180 members and 2849 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X