300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is a Bachelors the was to go???

First, to all the LE officers I appreciate your service.

My question is will a bachelors degree "actually" help in the LE field. I hear many people say "A degree wont help, work history will" and others say "Just Get your 4 year degree before joining the department". Im 19 and will be finished with school fall 2016. Should I go ahead for 2 more years and finish school with a Bachelors in CJ or take my Associates, continue working, join the department when I turn 21, and perhaps finish schooling then? Just wondering how far will a 4 year degree get you in this field.

Im not stupid but very intelligent. I don't need Ridiculous & Effortless comments...Please keep them to yourself!
    Last edited by lucas365; 01-02-2016, 06:38 PM.

Originally posted by lucas365 View Post
    Im not stupid but very intelligent. I don't need Ridiculous & Effortless comments...Please keep them to yourself!
    First of all, you aren't allowed to dictate the responses; you get what you get. If you will utilize the search feature, there are about six million threads addressing the topic, including the one you already posted and had answered.
    A final thought; seeing that you feel the need to tell people that you are very intelligent says a lot about your insecurities.

Now for the question at hand.
    others say "Just Get your 4 year degree before joining the department".
    I can't recall any of the seasoned veterans on this board recommending an associates degree over anything, especially work and life experience.

What criteria will you use to determine who can steer you in the right direction? Are you going for a consensus or have you read enough threads to know who knows what they're talking about? Nobody here knows your particular situation, only as much as you have told us. It is incumbent upon you to make your decision based on your needs.

If you think you are going to get a law enforcement job by meeting the minimum requirements, you are going to be let down. I'm sure that there are 21 year old kids who met the minimum standard of an associates degree and got hired, but that is the exception, not the rule.

“Truth is not what you want it to be; it is what it is, and you must bend to its power or live a lie.”

Miyamoto Musashi

“Life Is Hard, But It's Harder When You're Stupid”

George V. Higgins (from The Friends of Eddie Coyle)

Comment

First, to all the LE officers I appreciate your service.

My question is will a bachelors degree "actually" help in the LE field. I hear many people say "A degree wont help, work history will" and others say "Just Get your 4 year degree before joining the department". Im 19 and will be finished with school fall 2016. Should I go ahead for 2 more years and finish school with a Bachelors in CJ or take my Associates, continue working, join the department when I turn 21, and perhaps finish schooling then? Just wondering how far will a 4 year degree get you in this field.

Lucas,

Since you are very intelligent, you should be able to research the answers to your questions without us (the actual LE officers) taking the time to hand deliver the answers for you. That being said, please understand that you come off as a pompous jerk. I imagine that your social media accounts are full of selfies because you are so into yourself. Perhaps, a career in politics will suit you better. As a politician, you can constantly demean others and remind all of us how much smarter you are than us common folk.

In closing, please feel free to beat yourself in the head with a hammer repeatedly.

Comment

I think you need to be well-rounded. Experience is not everything, but neither is education. I have worked with other guys who had masters degrees that were complete tools. On the same hand, I have worked with career cops who have nothing more than a high school education and were amazing. Really it comes down to you as a person, and how you fit into your agency. Each agency is different and are looking for different things. I have been told by sheriff's in the past that they didn't hire me because I had "too much education" for their agency. On the other hand, there are sheriffs out there who would look down on someone who doesn't have a degree of some kind.

Now I have a masters degree, does that make me a good cop? No. But it has given me a different perspective on things, especially as they relate to admin duties, special projects and seeing "the bigger picture". Again, it's all about being well-rounded and having some common sense.

Since you posted this in the North Dakota forums, I am going to assume you are from here. The vast majority of agencies sin ND don't require any education beyond high school, so either way you should be able to find a job.
        Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned

Comment

Here is what I say, though others might not agree with me. If you really want a Bachelor's degree, go for it.

Now as to the question of if it will make you a better candidate, the answer is it depends. I myself have a Bachelors degree, and the truth is that I am in the minority for all of the LE jobs that I have held. The grand majority have no college degree. No degree was necessary in the three Federal LE positions I have held.

Now there are of course a few exceptions in agencies that require some sort of degree to even get hired, but those agencies are outnumbered by the ones who require nothing. Most local police jobs do not require more than a high school education. I believe Minnesota requires an associates degree. The FBI requires a Bachelors degree.
          What is Perseverance?
          -Perseverance is commitment, hard work, patience, endurance.
          -Perseverance is being able to bear difficulties calmly and without complaint.
          -PERSEVERANCE IS TRYING AGAIN AND AGAIN.

BOP - BPA - ICE

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3860 users online. 229 members and 3631 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X