Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Watford City and other NW agencies

Hello all:

I am an Officer in Texas. I am looking at relocating to the Watford City PD. I spent 1.5 hours on the phone with the Chief and he seems like a great guy trying to lead a developing and progressive agency.

Can anyone give me any info regarding them. Right now I work in a town of 1,800 people with 0 places to eat and 2 gas stations. I am also 1.5 hours away from a good size town that offers everything. So the fact that it is rural, doesn't bother me.

My biggest concern is whether or not I can handle the cold, snow and ice. I have never lived in that before.

If anyone wants to chime in on some other departments in the area, please feel free.

Thank you all to reply.

Bankerboy2646,

I currently work for an SO as a Deputy not far from Watford City. WC is right in the middle of the oil patch so it's fairly busy there. As you probably already learned from talking with the Chief, they do got take home patrol vehicles fully loaded. Not sure of their exact pay but I believe it's in the mid to high 50's with plenty of OT. Fairly decent equipment as well from what I know.

Now here's the kicker. The cost of living in the oil patch is ridiculously high. It's not uncommon to find apartment units going between $1800 and $3500 a month. No lie. Where I live and work they have housing options available, so it's not too terribly bad.

Don't limit yourself to just WC. There's also Mckenzie County SO which WC is the county seat. There's Williston and Williams County to the north of WC which are also oil patch areas. There's Dickinson and Stark County to the southeast of WC as well that you might want to check out.

As for the weather, you're going to be in for quite the change. I'm from Alaska so I was pretty used to the cold when I moved here. It easily gets into the negative temperatures with the wind chill and there's A LOT of wind here in ND. The summers make up for the ****ty winters. Last summer it got up into the 90's.

With all that being said it's what you make of it. I got offered a position with WCPD but turned it down. Where I work is not as busy but my patrol area is way bigger, we got take homes fully loaded, higher starting pay than WCPD, and our admin treats us pretty well. In the past couple weeks, we've had several pursuits so we see our fair share of action.

Any other questions feel free to PM me.

Comment

AKPOPO.

Thank you so much for the info. I tried to PM you but i couldnt for some reason. Can you please PM me the name of your SO and whether or not your hiring.

In TX, it is hard to get a cop job. Lots of competition. However, from talking to the Chief in ND, it sounds like most people dont want to be cops there so its quite difficult for them to find good candidates. Is that a ND thing or just a Watford City thing?

Thank you.

Comment

Hey bud apparently I had my PM shut off. It's working now. Check your inbox.

Comment

Well, I just wanted to let everyone know that I accepted a Position in NW ND and my start date is August 3rd. I must say, I am very impressed with the agency and I am looking forward to being a part of their team and helping them grow into a fantastic organization.

I believe over half the year is pretty cold and I love to play softball and tennis. Due to the weather being so cold up there, do they have indoor tennis or softball? Or do they just play it in the snow. HA Just curious.

Comment

BankerBoy2646,

I know this may be late but, may I ask when did you apply and how long did it take you to complete everything? Also were you a lateral or new to law enforcement? I am like you I like to play softball and was wondering the something lol.

Comment

Originally posted by squeakeer View Post
              BankerBoy2646,

I know this may be late but, may I ask when did you apply and how long did it take you to complete everything? Also were you a lateral or new to law enforcement? I am like you I like to play softball and was wondering the something lol.
              It was a great decision. The hiring process was very short. A 3 page application followed by an interview. That was it. Once they hire you, u have to do a psychological exam and drug test. It didn't take but 1-2 weeks to get the job.

I was a lateral but they do hire rookies and send u thru the academy. Good luck to u if u apply.

Comment

In your estimation do you think that it would take longer than three months to get hired? Also in your opinion how would they look at someone with a bankruptcy on their record?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by squeakeer View Post
                  In your estimation do you think that it would take longer than three months to get hired? Also in your opinion how would they look at someone with a bankruptcy on their record?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                  It would take a lot less then 3 months. It would be less then a month. Honestly, I don't even think they do a credit check so no, it won't hurt u.

I ended up taking the job with McKenzie County sheriffs office. Awesome dept. I would highly recommend u apply there as well. If they don't think ur ready for the road yet, they will start u off in the jail. Salary is about 5 Grand less but u will actually make more money bc of all the overtime the corrections officers get.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2817 users online. 152 members and 2665 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X