300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mclean County Sheriff's Office...

Hello everyone. I was just wondering if anyone knows anything about the Mclean County SO? I may be looking to apply there in the future for a deputy position. Any info at all is appreciated.

It's the county north of me. They make you stay in whatever little town you're assigned to. Responding to calls sucks because there is a huge lake in the middle with only one way across. That's about all I know I do have a friend who works there, however.

Comment

Does your friend generally like his/her job there? I drive through Mclean county whenever I travel to Minot and it kind of seems like a desolate area, haha. And you did answer one of my questions I was thinking as far as housing. If I were ever to get hired there, I was hoping I could live in Bismarck, but oh well. I'm not looking for a perfect department, just somewhere I can get my foot in the door.

Comment

Any particular reason why you wouldn't wanna work with Bismarck or Burleigh County if you want to live in Bismarck? Or even Mandan or Morton County.

Comment

No particular reason. Do you know if the Burleigh County SO will put someone through the academy or will they only take someone who is licensed or licensed eligible? I know Bismarck PD will send new hires through. I haven't been through the academy yet and I'm trying to find out which agencies will hire someone and send them through. That's why I mentioned Mclean because they said they'd hire without the academy completed, so I was trying to get a feel for what it's like there. I talked to someone from Mandan PD and he said my chances of getting hired without the academy done is pretty slim. Morton County SO also said they only hire people who have it completed because in the past some of their new hires would bail out of the department and go elsewhere, even though they got a free ride through the academy.

I'm also wondering if a smaller town SO might be more lenient on past indiscretions? I did get an APC in 2013, so I'm waiting until that 3 year mark to apply anywhere. I plan on being totally honest about everything to every agency I apply to. I guess I'll just have to apply and see how the cards play out.

Comment

Originally posted by stecha90 View Post
            No particular reason. Do you know if the Burleigh County SO will put someone through the academy or will they only take someone who is licensed or licensed eligible? I know Bismarck PD will send new hires through. I haven't been through the academy yet and I'm trying to find out which agencies will hire someone and send them through. That's why I mentioned Mclean because they said they'd hire without the academy completed, so I was trying to get a feel for what it's like there. I talked to someone from Mandan PD and he said my chances of getting hired without the academy done is pretty slim. Morton County SO also said they only hire people who have it completed because in the past some of their new hires would bail out of the department and go elsewhere, even though they got a free ride through the academy.

I'm also wondering if a smaller town SO might be more lenient on past indiscretions? I did get an APC in 2013, so I'm waiting until that 3 year mark to apply anywhere. I plan on being totally honest about everything to every agency I apply to. I guess I'll just have to apply and see how the cards play out.
            Both Bismarck and Burleigh will send you through the academy, but you are correct in that Mandan and Morton won't (there have been exceptions, but generally they don't). I can't speak for Burleigh, but I know Bismarck only requires one year from a DUI/APC conviction before you are eligible to apply. If you PM me your email, I can send you the hiring packet with all the information you need.

Comment

I find it confusing that Bismarck PD only requires one year from a DUI or APC conviction to apply, yet ND POST requirements are no class B misdemeanors within the past 3 years to be accepted. My APC is a class B misdemeanor, so if I were to get hired, how could I get sent to the academy without any problems? Haha

Comment

I find it confusing that Bismarck PD only requires one year from a DUI or APC conviction to apply, yet ND POST requirements are no class B misdemeanors within the past 3 years to be accepted.
                I checked the ND POST rules and there is nothing about 3 years and misd. crimes. If that is somewhere else, they may have you come to a POST Board meeting and provide an explanation of the reason for your criminal history and go from there. I know a few guys who had to do that, no big deal. There are officers who get popped every year for DUI in North Dakota and the POST Board doesn't do anything about it, so I don't know how they (ND POST) can hold that against a new applicant. The individual agency can however, set whatever standards beyond the POST Board minimum as they see fit.
                Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned

Comment

I found this on the LRSC website:
                  https://lrsc.qualtrics.com/CP/File.p...AVZkMywpJOlsPP

Comment

That would appear to be their program requirements, not POST Board standards.
                    Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3909 users online. 237 members and 3672 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X