300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any departments in ND hiring? Questions

I'll make this short as possible and hopefully someone can help me out. PM me or put it on here. Which ever you'd like.

I've always wanted to be a police officer. About 3 years ago *give or take* I actually moved to Bismarck, North Dakota to start my life over. Long story short 2-3 weeks after moving a department from back home called me with a job offer. I took it of course. 1.5 years later into my career in Law Enforcement I am ready to move back to North Dakota. The reason I moved there the first time was for a new start and because the fishing and hunting is excellent in ND. My question(s)

I am only part time certified in Illinois. Which means I have 400 hours of the police academy. To be 'full time certified' in Illinois you need 480 hours. The extra 80 hours is all scenario based training. A little bit of hands on as well. Its VERY hard to find a department to convert someone to full time these days. I am part time with two police departments who love me to death. I have 58 college credits in law enforcement/criminal justice. I may have 61. I have to make a calls to double check before I say for sure.

Do I have a chance in ND with my certification?

Would I have to go through a 11-14week ND police academy?

Is it still pretty tough to find housing? (I know this will depend on the area)

Written tests hard ?

Is your department hiring?

Open to advice and opinions..

Thanks for reading
    Last edited by burt05; 03-19-2014, 03:36 PM.

Yes ND is hiring! I will PM you a list of agencies I know are currently hiring. I know our last two hires had zero LE experience and/or the academy done. We are one of, if not the, highest paying sheriff's office in the state. Yet we still struggle to find enough good applicants.

Housing in Western ND (oil boom areas) is getting better. In the Dickinson area its not a matter of finding housing, but more of affording it. We have some low-rate apartments for cops, but those are full. Normally the agency will help you with locating housing, especially in the small agencies. Williston and Watford City areas might have more housing problems, I don't know.

Most agencies in Western ND do not have written tests. The only one around here that does is Dickinson PD, and I've heard the test is not that hard. Basically just a basic police test (Math, grammar and reading etc...)

In reference to the Academy, your best bet would be to call Monica at the ND POST Board at (701) 328-5529. She would be able to give you a definite answer.

Your biggest obstacle would be coming for interviews from that far away. Some agencies will work with you more than others. I know a county near me just hired two cops from Alaska, so don't be discouraged by the distance.
    Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned

Comment

CJS...What are you considering "high paying"? ND seems to be a harder place to research. I can't find numbers online that are current.

Thanks
      The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence. The difference, though, is that the sheepdog must not, cannot and will not ever harm the sheep. Any sheepdog who intentionally harms the lowliest little lamb will be punished and removed.

I Am the Sheepdog.

Comment

dannamnn: My agency's starting pay is $52,700 a year. Dickinson PD advertises at $23.21 - 24.97 an hour starting. Killdeer PD is paying $49,000-58,000 starting DOE. I believe Dunn County Sheriff's Office is starting at the $52,000 range too, but I believe they cover full medical.

Keep in mind if you apply on the eastern side of the state, the pay will go down. The high(er) paying jobs are mainly in Western ND where the oil boom is. Along with that comes higher cost of living as well. A $250,000 home in Dickinson isn't going to be anything special. Verses a $250,000 home in say Fargo or Jamestown which would be a nice house.

As you probably know, benefits are a consideration as well. I have to pay about $75 a month for health insurance. BUT, I get my own take home and have lots of OT opportunities to make up for it. Plus no on-call time. Take Killdeer PD for example, they only run 3-4 guys on the whole department, so you can bet your bottom dollar you'll be on-call.

Looks like West Fargo PD is hiring right now and they start at about $45,000 a year. Most of the eastern cities/counties are going to be in that $35,000-$45,000 range. Now keep in mind in small town ND (out side the oil boom) you can get a pretty nice house for $100,000. So making $35,000 in lets say Walsh County isn't going to be too bad.

Comment

What agency are you with cjs?
          The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence. The difference, though, is that the sheepdog must not, cannot and will not ever harm the sheep. Any sheepdog who intentionally harms the lowliest little lamb will be punished and removed.

I Am the Sheepdog.

Comment

Originally posted by dannmann1050 View Post
            What agency are you with cjs?

that's what I was gonna ask too

btw thanks for the email cjs!

Comment

Hello everyone, it seems that information on job openings in North Dakota is hit or miss. I can only speculate that more departments are hiring because of the influx of people to the state due to the oil boom, but using the various job posting sites (like Indeed) are only showing a few results, like 3-4 jobs state wide.

I have a two year associates degree in L.E. and I am currently MN POST eligible, it's not active and won't be unless I have been hired as a LEO. So I am not sure if I need to go through a whole academy or if there is an abrevated ND statutes class that is only needed.

Any information would be helpful.

Comment

Originally posted by MN Cop Hopeful View Post
                Hello everyone, it seems that information on job openings in North Dakota is hit or miss. I can only speculate that more departments are hiring because of the influx of people to the state due to the oil boom, but using the various job posting sites (like Indeed) are only showing a few results, like 3-4 jobs state wide.

I have a two year associates degree in L.E. and I am currently MN POST eligible, it's not active and won't be unless I have been hired as a LEO. So I am not sure if I need to go through a whole academy or if there is an abrevated ND statutes class that is only needed.

Any information would be helpful.
                If you're POST eligible in MN, all you need in ND is a two week session at the academy for ND criminal and traffic laws.

Comment

Anyone know who is still hiring on the Eastern side of the state? A little about me: I have 9+yrs of Military LE experience, A.S. in CJ, I have my Florida Standards (ND POST eqv) done, will have about a year of civy LE with a Sheriff's Office down here, nothing in my background that would DQ or raise any flags. I was hoping for a NDHP position but due to my service obligation (still Active Duty) I wouldn't have been able to accept a position had I been selected during this last hiring cycle. From the POST website, I should be eligible for a partial waiver, but I do have a question about the full time part. Does anyone know if my mil LE time meet that requirement?
                  Last edited by CCARO907; 03-16-2015, 08:42 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Fargo PD is always hiring, and will be adding 7 *new* officer positions next fiscal year, but no hiring without POST certification already. There is an academy through Lake Region State College this summer in Fargo, run mostly by FPD, but that would be at your own expense.

Very few departments in ND larger than 10 officers send new hires to the academy on the department's dime.

http://www.cityoffargo.com/CityInfo/...Opportunities/
                    "Every man must be guaranteed his liberty and his right to do as he likes with his property or his labor, so long as he does not infringe the rights of others. No man is above the law and no man is below it; nor do we ask any man's permission when we require him to obey it. Obedience to the law is demanded as a right; not asked as a favor." - President Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by ryanjensen View Post
                      Very few departments in ND larger than 10 officers send new hires to the academy on the department's dime.
                      Do we even have that many agencies with more than 10 officers in ND?

That being said, I know in my academy class, we had Minot, Grand Forks, Bismarck, Burleigh Co, McKenzie Co, McLean Co and a bunch of smaller agencies. Those are all "bigger departments" by ND standards. HP will also put you through of course.

Comment

I just transplanted from Florida where I was a LEO for Pensacola PD and Fort Walton Beach PD. However, I left the beach life for Minot, ND because my wife is active duty Air Force. I have some college, about 35 or so credits. Does anyone know anything about Minot PD? I hear it is quiet compared to what I am used to, and I hear that Minot can be pretty dangerous, which I am ok with. I didn't see much going on with the county sheriff either. We just moved here and are living on the base.

If I need some academy training, which I'm sure I will, I don't mind a contractual obligation afterwards as long as I am sponsored through the academy.

I am working a really good job now, but I am missing the action, the brotherhood, and the comraderie that goes with it all.
                        Last edited by Donnie631; 02-24-2015, 09:25 PM.

Comment

Donnie. I'm in west central florida and thinking of heading up there. May I PM you?

I Am the Sheepdog.

Comment

Originally posted by Donnie631 View Post
                            I just transplanted from Florida where I was a LEO for Pensacola PD and Fort Walton Beach PD. However, I left the beach life for Minot, ND because my wife is active duty Air Force. I have some college, about 35 or so credits. Does anyone know anything about Minot PD? I hear it is quiet compared to what I am used to, and I hear that Minot can be pretty dangerous, which I am ok with. I didn't see much going on with the county sheriff either. We just moved here and are living on the base.
                            Donnie, depending on how long ago you were licensed, all you should need is the two-week "transfer" course put on by the North Dakota Highway Patrol at the LETA in Bismarck. It is a live in academy and certifies you for ND POST if you have pre-quailfying experience. This is paid for by the state, the only cost to the dept. is your salary. Bismarck, Grand Forks, and Minot PD all send people to the full LETA academy all the time, so that's not really that big of an issue IMO. No academy contracts in ND as far as I have ever heard of.

As for Minot PD, I don't know much. Typically their pay has been lower than most oil impacted departments, but that may have changed. A few of their guys that I have spoken with at trainings have left me with the impression that it is a busy place to work. No real grips that I can remember form them.

Comment

Is the two week transfer like an in-service class? Or are you a boot for two weeks locking the parking lot? Lol

I Am the Sheepdog.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2841 users online. 154 members and 2687 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X