300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ND hiring boom??

So are the news stories correct that ND agencies can't hire fast enough, or a load of bull? It focused on the smaller towns that are having the "oil boom" stuff. I'm curious as to what the truth is.

Thanks.. BE SAFE!!
    The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence. The difference, though, is that the sheepdog must not, cannot and will not ever harm the sheep. Any sheepdog who intentionally harms the lowliest little lamb will be punished and removed.

I Am the Sheepdog.

Originally posted by dannmann1050 View Post
    So are the news stories correct that ND agencies can't hire fast enough, or a load of bull? It focused on the smaller towns that are having the "oil boom" stuff. I'm curious as to what the truth is.

Thanks.. BE SAFE!!
    Not sure it's necessarily an issue of applicants as much as it is housing. Most places get plenty of apps, it's just the fact that there is no where to live. 1 bedroom (shady) apartments are going for 1200 a month here. While the pay is good, it is by no means competitive to keep up with the housing market. Deputies may be making anywhere from 35-45 a year, but the cost of living is so high that no one will work for that, or if they will, they are unable to find housing and never start.

I applied with an agency about a year ago and they told me to find a place to live first, and they'd hire me. Guess what? I never worked for them-unable to find anywhere to live. One cop I talked to from that same dept was renting out a basement room of a farm house, 45 minutes into Montana with 3 other guys for $500 a month. One of my buddies bought a house for 16,000 in 2009 and sold the thing for 65,000 two years later. It's absolutely nuts.

I also know of several cops/deputies and even state troopers who have left their agencies to work in the oil fields. If you have half a brain you can be making 80-100k a year working out there.
    Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned

Comment

That's a shame. It seems like it would be a great opportunity but without housing its pointless. I wonder how long the "boom" will go and then run out of town. You would think that the agencies would step up and match the cost of living to help people out. Guess it's just a sign of the times.
      The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence. The difference, though, is that the sheepdog must not, cannot and will not ever harm the sheep. Any sheepdog who intentionally harms the lowliest little lamb will be punished and removed.

I Am the Sheepdog.

Comment

Originally posted by dannmann1050 View Post
        That's a shame. It seems like it would be a great opportunity but without housing its pointless. I wonder how long the "boom" will go and then run out of town. You would think that the agencies would step up and match the cost of living to help people out. Guess it's just a sign of the times.
        Yeah the "boom" is due to new technology that is allowing them to mine oil that was not able to be mined in the past. The last oil boom in the 80's lasted for about 7 years. So who know how long it will last.

I think agencies are doing their best, but they cannot compete with billion dollar oil companies who will pay whatever the cost to get that oil out of the ground.
        Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned

Comment

I was just informed by Williston PD that they want no parts of an out-of-state LEO applicant. They will take someone from Montana, but that's it. I was kinda suprised since they are having a difficult time recruiting.

I Am the Sheepdog.

Comment

I'm also surprised Williston PD told you that. Especially since most of our out of state applicants are from MN. Two out of six of us at my departments are from MN. No idea why they'd take Montana and nowhere else. Either way they're going to have to send them to Bismarck for two weeks to get trained on ND law.

If you don't mind living in the middle of nowhere and you already have academy, even from another state, you can likely find a job without too much trouble. I know the county just south of us had to extend their hiring process because of a lack of applicants. Granted, the small counties don't pay a lot and they're somewhat high risk due to a lack of backup. You need to be very independent. If your dream is to be a cop, and you don't care about the pay, look into the smaller counties.

I also know of officers that have left the job to go work in the oil fields. Frankly, I don't understand these people. If it was easy money I wanted I sure as heck wouldn't have picked this job for my occupation...

Comment

Im from Minnesota, i have an interview next week. Cidien, I agree with you. Its odd that officers can just leave for easier money... usually officers dont become officers for the money. ehhh. I really have no room to talk though... not in that situation.
              Last edited by outdoors87; 11-21-2011, 08:38 PM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3324 users online. 181 members and 3143 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X