300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ND Highway Patrol

I saw on the North Dakota state website that the Highway Patrol is hiring. Just wondering if anyone here happened to know anything about that upcoming hiring? Numbers of positions looking to be filled? If rural stations tend to be more sought after than more populated ones? Any other helpful info is appreciated. Thanks!

I don't work for them but I was told anywhere from 5-15, depending on funding. MOST troopers start off in rural duty stations, with transfer after the next class has started. They didn't hire last year so there are open stations around the state.

The following towns are actual duty stations. So check them out and see if that's somewhere you're willing to live for at least a year. Linton, Kenmare, Casselton, Crosby, Wishek, Elgin, Beach, Garrison and Stanley to name a few.

Troopers work some weird schedules, it's normally 6 on 3 off, but you might start days, go to afternoons and then finish on nights in the same work week. Most duty stations only have 1 trooper assigned. Exceptions are Jamestown, Wahpeton, Bismarck, Fargo, Grand Forks, Minot, Valley City, Dickinson and Williston.

I was told with the oil boom going on in western ND a lot of the new troopers will be out there. So think Crosby, Williston, Dickinson, Beach, Watford city and Stanley.

Really good equipment, in fact the patrol just went to a new CAD system last year and are completely paperless. All cars have camera, Stalker Radar (Most do) and computer. Troopers cover a large area and are subject to call out. If I recall right, Fargo is the only duty station with 24-hour coverage. Otherwise troopers often check out at 2 or 3am and then day shift comes on at 6 or 7am.

I will tell you this, they are different than MSP. NDHP is not as hardcore as MSP is. And to an extent small town politics can play a part in your activities, trust me I know.

Pay is good. If you're stationed in a rural station you'll probably be making more than the county Sheriff/deputies are.

Most troopers drive either Impala's or Vics. They do have a few chargers and are ordering 2 Caprices this year to test. Truck guys drive Expeditions.

If you do a search on here you should find some older archived posts on NDHP. You can also click here for their annual report which has a lot of good info.

Overall they are a great agency and most of the troopers are great guys to work with.
    Last edited by cjs-luke; 01-05-2011, 09:00 PM. Reason: more info
    Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned

Comment

Any idea how they feel about out-of-state/out-of-area applicants? I've found some state LE agencies to be less than receptive of those who weren't born and bred in-state.

Comment

Likely to be closer to 15, then. Isn't North Dakota pretty much the only state in the country that is in the black?
        Last edited by underhill; 01-06-2011, 10:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by underhill View Post
          MSP strikes me as a fantastic agency and every trooper I have met has been very professional. "Hardcore" is not a word I would use to describe them, though.
          I think you're assuming "Hardcore" as a negative term. I completely agree that they are professional and are in deed a fascistic agency, probably the best in the state. I have lived in Minnesota most of my life and probably know a lot more troopers than do you. I would still consider them "Hardcore" in contrast to NDHP troopers. That's my opinion and you have yours.

Originally posted by Squirrel View Post
          Any idea how they feel about out-of-state/out-of-area applicants? I've found some state LE agencies to be less than receptive of those who weren't born and bred in-state.
          I don't think it would matter much. I was at the academy a while ago and out of 24-25 people, 19 were from out of state, with 17 being from Minnesota. Often times, as in my case, you come to ND to get experience and have a lot more to offer than most of their local candidates do.

There are still some depts that will only take locals, but those tend to be the smaller backwoods places (Good ol boys club). I know Grand Forks, NDHP, Bismarck, Dickinson and Fargo all have Minnesota people working for them. And having worked in a small ND agency, I will tell you you are better off applying with a larger dept (In North Dakota standards that means more than 10-15 officers) as you will be much happier.
          Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned

Comment

I plan on applying

Comment

cjs-luke,
              I guess my perception problem is that I just have not met any NDHP troopers. Most of the troopers I have met have been from southern states, and always come off like Marines with badges. The MSP troopers I have met have been nice, friendly and don't seem to think they are more "bad-a**" than other LEs. So, yeah, I guess I was thinking about "harcore" in a negative sense. My bad.

Comment

Hey everyone, I also am thinking about applying, I just had a major disappointment though with the Chattanooga TN PD. I made three trips down there from WI and made it through the hiring process and was down to the wire of the yes you got the job or no you didn't......well I got the no you didn't. So I don't know if I really want to go through it again and travel to just be shot down again. WI doesn't have many police opportunites and I really would like to move somewhere else and get out of here. LOL

Comment

Originally posted by Liedl0913 View Post
                  Hey everyone, I also am thinking about applying, I just had a major disappointment though with the Chattanooga TN PD. I made three trips down there from WI and made it through the hiring process and was down to the wire of the yes you got the job or no you didn't......well I got the no you didn't. So I don't know if I really want to go through it again and travel to just be shot down again. WI doesn't have many police opportunites and I really would like to move somewhere else and get out of here. LOL
                  You always miss 100% of the shots you never take.

Comment

That is true, but it is kind of depressing that down in Chattanooga you don't even need a degree for the PD. I would rather be a state trooper though. I really hope something comes through this time. I also am thinking about the MN state patrol as well.

Comment

Has anyone been able to get on the North Dakota Highway Patrol website. It won't let me on. I'm wondering if it isn't down or something. I want to get an application and see what the PT requirements are.

Comment

Originally posted by MNCop2b View Post
                        You always miss 100% of the shots you never take.
                        Nice gretzky qoute!
                        "We Train to Fight, We Fight to Win, We Win to Survive, We Survive to LIVE!"

The views expressed in the above post are the sole opinion of the author and do not reflect any official position by the author's employer and/or municipality.

Comment

Does anybody have any insight on Grand Forks PD?

Comment

I heard Grand Forks is a nice dept. to work for.. im filling out the app right now and its pretty basic (not even employment history) but it needs to be notarized which is kind of a hassle. The notary cost, the 25 dollar application fee and the 15 dollar test fee, and the gas to get to fargo and back im gunna be in $100 just to test
                            Last edited by cadet001; 01-25-2011, 04:22 PM.

Comment

from what I gather all most 400 people tested last time around for about 9 openings. this agency prob wastes enough money on advertising they openings on the radio, TV, Billboard and New Paper Ads to run a small 3 man department for a year.
                              "What the problem is?"

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3340 users online. 183 members and 3157 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X