Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ordinances, Enforcement: Anyone remember from BLET

Howdy,

I have been wondering about the enforcement of city/county ordinances. I don't really want to break out the BLET manual and dig through it, so I thought I'd ask here.

I seem to have the idea in the back of my mind that the only LEOs who can enforce city, town, county, etc. ordinances are those actually employed as officers by those respective jurisdictions. However, I can't seem to find anything that actually says that. So, my question is, can anyone tell me for sure who can enforce ordinances?

Obviously a city officer could enforce his city's ordinances, a county officer the county's ordinances, but what about other officers with teritorial jurisdiction and full subject matter jurisdiction?

Can university police enforce city ordinances within their jurisdiction? Can company police officers working a property in a city enforce city ordinances? Can state LEOs with full subject matter jurisdiction enforce local ordinances?

Like I said, my feeling is no, but I can't find anything that actually says that. Anyone know for sure?
    -Landric

"The Engine could still smile...it seemed to scare them"-Felix

Originally posted by Landric View Post
    Howdy,

I have been wondering about the enforcement of city/county ordinances. I don't really want to break out the BLET manual and dig through it, so I thought I'd ask here.

I seem to have the idea in the back of my mind that the only LEOs who can enforce city, town, county, etc. ordinances are those actually employed as officers by those respective jurisdictions. However, I can't seem to find anything that actually says that. So, my question is, can anyone tell me for sure who can enforce ordinances?

Obviously a city officer could enforce his city's ordinances, a county officer the county's ordinances, but what about other officers with teritorial jurisdiction and full subject matter jurisdiction?

Can university police enforce city ordinances within their jurisdiction? Can company police officers working a property in a city enforce city ordinances? Can state LEOs with full subject matter jurisdiction enforce local ordinances?

Like I said, my feeling is no, but I can't find anything that actually says that. Anyone know for sure?
    As it states in "Arrest, Search and Investigation" by Robert Farb. Is that University police have full authority within their jurisdiction as well as "any public road or highway passing through the property or immediately adjoining it." (Farb page 15)

As for the company police officers they have full authority and may arrest "(1) on property owned or possessed and controlled by their employer and (2)on property owned or possessed and controlled by a person who has contracted for their security services. Railroad police officers are not subject to these limitations; they may arrest anywhere in the state" (Farb page 15)

And finally the state may arrest for any crime with a warrant, and then "any offense committed in their presence, any crime committed on any street or highway, any other violation of laws that regulate travel and the use of vehicles or that pretect the highways, highway robbery, bank robbery, murder or other crimes of violence, and littering" (Farb page 16)

That is all that it states, so there is no real clear stating that they can can enforce the city ordinances.

Hope this helps........

Comment

As a Deputy Sheriff I occasionally used city ordinances where it was the most appropriate charge. We were never challenged in Court, however.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6130 users online. 369 members and 5761 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
      Working...
      X