300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charlotte PD

How is the Charlotte pd... training, equipment, salaries, cost of living in Charlotte? Is it a good place to work and how hard to get on?

Salary is good, but cost of living in the area is going up. CMPD is still, to my knowledge, the highest paid in the area. Training and equipment is very good. Morale runs the gamut. I am very happy here, others will tell you it is the worst place in the world. I think that range of opinions is fairly common in most lagre departments. CMPD is fairly competitive to get on. College or military is helpful, but solid character and a clean background are most important.

Comment

how tough is the academy? do you get to go home on the weekends and at night?
      "Saying guns cause crime is like saying pencils cause spelling mistakes"

Comment

The academy is not a live in academy. The academic and pt requirements are fairly strict. The stress comes from the need to do well in both pt and academics. The academy is not so much a "boot cam", though there are some elements of that. The academic and pt requirements make it challenging.

Comment

Hey everyone.

Just wondering if I could get some info about the Charlotte area and the PD?

1-Can anyone tell me a little bit about the area? (Crime rate, weather, cost of living compaired to officer salary, what kind of arts and entertainment is in the area, and are there a lot of "outdoor" activites such as hiking/biking trails?)

2-How often does the department hire and how many officers per class? What kind of work schedual (8, 10, 12 hr. shifts?), and how easy/hard is it to get promoted or get onto a special unit?

Thanks for your help!
          Look sharp, act sharp, be sharp.

Comment

I have been on for a year or so. There are a crap load of test in the academy. When I went through it was 26 weeks, i think they knocked off a couple of weeks. The training is good, the equipment is fine, and if something breaks they fix it in a timely manner it seems. Pt in the academy is good. As far as morale its good in my division and with the new chief here it seems like he wants to mak some changes for the good.

Comment

Sorry to bring up an old post but how hard would it be for someone like me, 21 years old, NO criminal background, not even a parking ticket, but no degree in college? I am going for my two year business degree but at the rate I plan to take the classes it will be another 2 years before I am done (been in for 3 and changed my major twice). Someone said that me being in a volunteer fire department will help and a few other things I do. Do they normally want someone older than 21 for CMPD? It seems like it will be harder to join CMPD than it would the Union County Sheriffs Dept. which I plan to look into also but I think the CMPD is what I would like better. I do not really know anything about Sheriff Dept. and they dont do ride alongs or anything so I can go check it out and talk to a recruiter while I'm there. Not sure if I want to look like a "chips" guy with the uniform either. haha just kidding on that last comment, a few of my friends that work for CMPD say that and I thought it was funny. I dont care about uniforms or what they look like.

Comment

In my academy there was 2 guys with only HS education, that being said they did not have any college or any military. Other then that it was 50% college, or 50% HS w/ military. You never know unless you try, might as well take the test.

Comment

Sounds good, I will see what I have to do. I am going to be doing the ride along in a few weeks again with my friend up there and then get some more info while I am there and see what they can do.

Comment

This is probably the more appropriate thread for my questions:

1. If anyone has or knows officers who have laterl'd to CMPD, what are your/their opinions of CMPD?

2. Are your calls 'silent dispatched'? All cars have MDTs and cameras?

3. What districts have the highest/lowest calls for service?

4. Is it call to call? Or do you have time to be proactive?
                    John 15:13 - Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends.

Comment

Do a ride along and find out

Comment

Originally posted by NC Marine View Post
                        This is probably the more appropriate thread for my questions:

1. If anyone has or knows officers who have laterl'd to CMPD, what are your/their opinions of CMPD?

2. Are your calls 'silent dispatched'? All cars have MDTs and cameras?

3. What districts have the highest/lowest calls for service?

4. Is it call to call? Or do you have time to be proactive?
                        Mejos, a single ride along is not going to give him these answers.

1. I had 9 years in LE when I hired on. I have enjoyed my time at CMPD and do not regret the change. The only thing that has taken getting used to is the "corporate/white collar" attitude, but I believe a great deal of that is due to the past Chief's influence. It may very well change over time with the new one. Also, the court system absolutely sucks, but that's nothing I can control so I don't let it bother me for the most part.

2. We have MDTs and cameras, but not silent dispatch, which is a bad idea anyway.

3. Metro, Eastway, North Tryon generally have the most..the further out from uptown you get, the more it drops. Officers are assigned to division according to CFS, though, so a slower district will have fewer officers, therefore the amount of time on calls tends to even out.

4. Entirely too variable. Depends on shift, division, etc.

Comment

Thanks ofc129a. And Im glad you like it.

And mejo83, I will do a ridealong, I printed out the request today. It looks like you can only fax or email it in. Ill fax it tomorrow.
                          John 15:13 - Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6511 users online. 340 members and 6171 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X