300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Accepted to blet when do i apply for jobs

I am going to the August BLET class at Rockingham community college and i was wondering when i should start applying for jobs? Also if anyone has any ideas on which departments in either the greensboro or raleigh area would be good to apply to it would be great help. Thanks a lot.

It depends on the department, some let you apply while you are in BLET and some don't. Apply as soon as you can as the process takes some time. Good luck. I know UNC Greensboro is hiring. Although Campus Police isn't for everyone, they have a pretty kick butt department. And because it is a state school you are not held under the Campus Police act.
    “Most people spend more time and energy going around problems than in trying to solve them.”
    ― Henry Ford

Comment

Honestly you should have some applications in somewhere now, if you don't you need to as soon as possible. The Hiring Process for almost every PD is extremely long, with the exception being a Sheriff's Department. The Sheriff has the ability to hire on the spot, rare but he can. Make sure you have as many applications out as possible so you have a choice and if one falls through you still have eggs in the basket. Just my opinion.

As far as agencies, there are so many to pick from in the Triangle Area its not even funny. Raleigh PD, Wake Co SO, Cary PD, Holly Springs PD, Apex PD, Garner PD, Durham SO and City PD, etc... As far as which ones the best I couldn't tell you. I have heard both good and bad on all and don't work for either.

Good Luck and hang in there, it will get frustrating.
      That ol' thin line will always be mine.

Comment

I graduated BLET June 2005. I applied to Huntersville in March 2005 and got a "no thanks" letter in April 2005. When June came around we all graduated and half the class had jobs the other half didnt. I was one who didnt have a job. I quickly learned my lesson and applied at 7 or so different agencies. I finally got hired by a small PD near my home in August 2005. So almost 3 months went by with me being unemployed which sucked.

Some agencies allow you to apply before you get you BLET, others dont. If it were me I would start looking at agencies now.
        John 15:13 - Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends.

Comment

I am a Police Recruiter. I try to make contact with the nearby community colleges with BLET a few weeks after BLET starts. In the perfect world I like to process a BLET candidate early in the course. BLET candidates are harder to recruit due to the limited amount of time they can miss class for the hiring process. Nevertheless I would encourage a BLET candidate to start the hiring process early. This Agency will give a BLET candidate a conditional offer to hire months before they are to graduate BLET. The conditional hire includes the requirement for the candidate to successfully pass the state exam.

My recommendation is to contact Agencies that you would like to work with now.

I closely track the 13 largest cities in NC. Presently 12 of those 13 cities have open hiring. The 13th city is currently hiring with a closed application date of June 27th.

My personal recommendation as it relates to pay, consider an Agency that pays overtime as opposed to comp time credit.

If you were interested my Agency I would want to talk to you yesterday, I would want to start the process. Once again in the perfect world we would like to finish the hiring process with a BLET candidate at least 90 days prior to graduation. Of course we will process the candidate who finished BLET yesterday,
          Last edited by FPDRecruiter; 06-10-2008, 09:20 PM.

Comment

Thanks for all the help what is yall opinion of police versus highway patrol i have some friends in the highway patrol that are trying to convince me to go there but i am not sure

Comment

There is nothing wrong with the highway patrol, it is an excellent agency. If that is what you want to do, don't waste your time with BLET, just apply to SHP now. They will make you attend patrol school (perhaps a shorter version if you are certified), no sense in going through training twice.

That said, primarily what SHP does is work wrecks and do traffic enforcement. Both are necessary, and a lot of good criminal arrests come out of traffic stops. However, I suspect that it can get old eventually (speaking as someone who has never been a trooper, so take it for what it is worth). I will tell you that of all the troopers I have had occasion to work with in two different states, the best ones were local or county law enforcement officers first.

I'd suggest you go with a city, town, or county agency first (choose wisely on which one) and see how you like it. If you decide you would like to go SHP later, you can, and with experience you might be able to attend the short school.

My agency is on the smaller end of sizes in the area (about 40 sworn), but we have been known to hire folks and send them to BLET (we have one there now), and hire folks out of BLET. I'm sure they would be happy to consider your application. And, as a plus, its a great place to work. PM me if you are interested.
              -Landric

"The Engine could still smile...it seemed to scare them"-Felix

Comment

Landric you have mail

Comment

You will find a trend of the agencies that do not have an Academy to pre-hire and pay a candidate while attending BLET. This is a growing trend in the state. Those agencies that have an Academy heavily sold the "you are an employee and paid while attending the Academy" issue. This has caused non-academy agenices to pre-hire a candidate.

Comment

Originally posted by Landric View Post
                    There is nothing wrong with the highway patrol, it is an excellent agency. If that is what you want to do, don't waste your time with BLET, just apply to SHP now. They will make you attend patrol school (perhaps a shorter version if you are certified), no sense in going through training twice.

That said, primarily what SHP does is work wrecks and do traffic enforcement. Both are necessary, and a lot of good criminal arrests come out of traffic stops. However, I suspect that it can get old eventually (speaking as someone who has never been a trooper, so take it for what it is worth). I will tell you that of all the troopers I have had occasion to work with in two different states, the best ones were local or county law enforcement officers first.

I'd suggest you go with a city, town, or county agency first (choose wisely on which one) and see how you like it. If you decide you would like to go SHP later, you can, and with experience you might be able to attend the short school.

My agency is on the smaller end of sizes in the area (about 40 sworn), but we have been known to hire folks and send them to BLET (we have one there now), and hire folks out of BLET. I'm sure they would be happy to consider your application. And, as a plus, its a great place to work. PM me if you are interested.

It's been a while since we spoke. Im glad to hear you got on somewhere and I hate it didn't work out at my PD, but you may have dodged a bullet on that one.
                    That ol' thin line will always be mine.

Comment

Greensboro has changed its process of accepting officers with a BLET under their belt but not enough time to lateral. They run them through a short in-house academy (don't know the length) and then off to field training. I know they are looking to this as a way to get officers on the street quicker.

Comment

On the North Carolina Justice Academy website (NCJA) there is a job bank link but it has not been updated. Anybody know why the NCJA hasn't updated their job postings in the last 7 months?
                        John 15:13 - Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends.

Comment

It has been updated. It opens as a word file now, not a seperate page like it did in the past.

http://www.jus.state.nc.us/NCJA/1jobbank.doc
                          Last edited by Fuzz1028; 06-28-2008, 09:31 PM.
                          “Most people spend more time and energy going around problems than in trying to solve them.”
                          ― Henry Ford

Comment

Thanks Fuzz1028.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3531 users online. 219 members and 3312 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X