300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jacksonville, NC

I will be moving to the Jacksonville area next month (wife is active military).

I sent my application in to Jacksonville PD and was called a week later and asked to test for them when I get in town. I am a former Mississippi cop and have a BA in CJ as well as hostage rescue school and basic counter sniper school. I already know I will need to go through their academy since my MS credentials expired a few years ago.

Since I am new to the area, can anyone tell me about the Jacksonville PD or any surrounding departments. It looks as if they have a SWAT team which would be nice to get into again and the pay isn't bad. I thought about New Bern as well but it looks as if it may be a little too far.

Any advice would be welcomed.
    Remember that our job is hearts and minds...two in the heart, one in the mind!

It's a good department overall, but they have high turnover partly because of some ridiculous city pay policies. Newer officers in some cases are hired at the same pay as those who have to train them. A friend of mine who works there told me that the city just got a few new city council members, so he hopes maybe things will change, but nobody is holding their breath. He said that the old city council wasn't concerned about the employees, but kept putting millions of dollars into recreation and consultants for different projects. The department is always understaffed, so you shouldn't have any problems getting hired. The BLET is about 3-4 months long. Watch the guy that runs the BLET program. Don't trust him. Take a look at Wilmington PD. That's a good department, too, and the pay is better.
    Last edited by Woofdog; 12-16-2007, 08:04 PM.
    Politically Correct? No.

Truthful? Yes!

Comment

Thanks for the info woof. I appreciate it.

Comment

I have lived in Jacksonville since 1989. I work 23 miles to the south. If you like working for a bigger PD good luck. I prefer smaller ones like the one I work for.
        Last edited by Mike G from NC; 12-18-2007, 02:49 PM.
        Thus the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win

Comment

hkfan I sent you an email

Comment

Mike, pm sent.

Comment

woofdog is right about not trusting the man that runs the BLET program at Coastal Carolina Community College, which is where you would complete the 16 week BLET course if you're sponsored by the Jacksonville Police Department. He is a snake!! This agency is very much into micromanaging it's officers. I don't know what kind of policing you are used to in Mississippi but you can expect to have someone constantly standing over your shoulder telling you how to do your job at the Jacksonville Police Department. They do have an active SWAT program and seem to be well trained. As you can probably tell, im not a big fan of the Jacksonville Police Department.
              "if i've got to turn around....catch all the way up with you and cut on the lights.....somebody's gotta pay the light bill"...

Comment

"... The department is always understaffed, so you shouldn't have any problems getting hired... "

I must be blind at seeing the understaffedness at JPD. They always have 5 or 6 officers tripping over each other at calls and traffic stops
                "if i've got to turn around....catch all the way up with you and cut on the lights.....somebody's gotta pay the light bill"...

Comment

Go south or west!!

Comment

Yea they handle calls with 3 to 5 officers and all the rest of us in the county do it solo.

Comment

they have some officers at the dept. that are good to work with and will help you if you need it, then they have a lot of officers that you would rather stay away from. the new cheif they have seems to be pretty good, but he needs to get some better salaries for them with the base going to civilian patrol. the pd and the onslow sheriffs office will be seeing some good officers leave due to the pay difference. depending on what you are looking at in law enforcement, i would have to agree with the other guys here and tell you to go to holly ridge, north topsail, or surf city if you are going to be living in the onslow county area. they have good officers working for them from what i have seen and have good equipment and chiefs that work with you.

Comment

So Camp Lejeune is getting rid of the PMO's?
                        John 15:13 - Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends.

Comment

yeah, not sure when it is supposed to start, but starting pay is supposed to be mid 40s with federal benefits. have to be LEO certified but not bad to sit at the guard shack and make 40 grand. correct me if i am wrong, but they are starting with the sentries (gate patrol) and later they will make the traffic unit civilian, and then last the CID will go civilian. but ofcourse the go-to guy im sure will be a gunny or above. from what i understand the supervisor positions are supposed to pay like 75+ grand a year but you have to have supervisor experience

Comment

Originally posted by 10 FORTY 3 View Post
                            woofdog is right about not trusting the man that runs the BLET program at Coastal Carolina Community College, which is where you would complete the 16 week BLET course if you're sponsored by the Jacksonville Police Department. He is a snake!! This agency is very much into micromanaging it's officers. I don't know what kind of policing you are used to in Mississippi but you can expect to have someone constantly standing over your shoulder telling you how to do your job at the Jacksonville Police Department. They do have an active SWAT program and seem to be well trained. As you can probably tell, im not a big fan of the Jacksonville Police Department.

I never met the man in person but I hear the same thing from other people who had dealings with him. Says one thing and does another. I heard he might run against Sheriff Brown next time. He's politicaly connected in Onslow county but I also heard he's got some skeletons in the closet.

Comment

Originally posted by NC Marine View Post
                              So Camp Lejeune is getting rid of the PMO's?

Not getting rid of the PMO's. Just replacing most military MP's with civilian DoD cops.
                              Politically Correct? No.

Truthful? Yes!

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8554 users online. 331 members and 8223 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Working...
                              X