300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oral Review Board attire??

Hey guys! I finally got a call from the agency of my choice for a meeting with the Oral Review Board on Thursday @ 3pm. I guess that means I passed the BI because with them the background investigation happens before the oral board. I was just curious what is proper attire for the occasion. I was thinking nice slacks, white long sleeve collar shirt with a tie. What do you guys think? Im prepared for the questions that will be asked. I just want to look appropriate. Other than that, Im just so happy I finally got a call!! I will be joining the sworn law enforcement family sooner than I thought!!

-jerome
    "Never look both ways without first looking straight"

Are you at liberty to discuss what agency. If not i understand. Congrats so far.

Comment

Well you can never over due things, I would say go in there with a business suite if you have one.

Comment

I would wear a suit if you have one. If not, at least wear a sportcoat over your shirt and tie.

Comment

If you want to present your best.... dress the best. If you can't afford a nice business suit then explain that to them. If you have a sport coat, at least wear that. Borrow something or go to Goodwill.
          I have been on oral boards before and we rated on a 1-9 scale and in order to get a "9" from me and another guy, you had to have a business suit on with the proper shirt and tie and cuff links would put you over the top. Also be sure that your shoes are highly shined and no-uniform shoes ever with a suit. It is about attention to detail and presenting your self!
          Go all out and it may be the point or two that gets you in front of the guy who didn't get the offer. How bad do you want it and what are you willing to do to stand out from the others.
          SPSC 262

Comment

Well I don't own a suit or a sportcoat. As for the agency, its a small town agency so im thinking not wearing either of those would not be a problem. I just don't want to get nervous. Im a good talker and quick thinker so I hope that helps!

NC_Canes_Cop86........Troy Police Department-small town agency
            I chose experience over money. Ill be ready for the high paying city agencies in a few years.

Comment

Boat shoes are preferable to flip flops. If you do wear flip flops, trim your toenails.

Otherwise, wear a suit. If you do not have a suit, you really should buy one. You will never be wrong with a dark gray or blue suit, white shirt, conservative tie, and shined shoes.

Women should wear the appropriate equivalent.

If you do not have a suit, a sport coat and tie is the minmum, but really a suit is what you should wear.

Comment

Originally posted by L.E.O._Hopeful View Post
                Well I don't own a suit or a sportcoat. As for the agency, its a small town agency so im thinking not wearing either of those would not be a problem. I just don't want to get nervous. Im a good talker and quick thinker so I hope that helps!

I chose experience over money. Ill be ready for the high paying city agencies in a few years.

So by saying that this is a small town agency, are you saying it's less professional of an agency? I didn't think so. As other's have said, if you don't have one, but can afford it - GET A SUIT. A law enforcement position is a professional position. I've been on interview panels before with my old department (less than 10 officers). If a guy showed up without a sportcoat/suit, he was rated less than the guy that went all out.

Trust us on this. How bad do you want to be a cop?
                Why are there so many babies on O.com? Creole, you and your buddy JPSO Recruit help me out on this one....

* "Preach always, if necessary, use words!" St Francis of Assisi

* Luke Chapter 6, Verses 27-36

Comment

When I graduated BLET, I went to Kohls and bought a suit. I really had never worn a suit, but I knew I would need one. Cost, I cant remember.

I highly advise buying a suit, wearing a tie. Get a good shave. Haircut would be good too. I dont know if you are competing with other candidates, but this is definitely one way to stand out. That is the best advice I can give.
                  John 15:13 - Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends.

Comment

Originally posted by towncop View Post
                    So by saying that this is a small town agency, are you saying it's less professional of an agency? I didn't think so. As other's have said, if you don't have one, but can afford it - GET A SUIT. A law enforcement position is a professional position. I've been on interview panels before with my old department (less than 10 officers). If a guy showed up without a sportcoat/suit, he was rated less than the guy that went all out.

Trust us on this. How bad do you want to be a cop?
                    What he said!!! How bad do you want it... Borrow or hit the oodwill. Shine the shoes!!!! Not just a coat of polish but a shine. Haircut and shave should be a no-brainer! Dress to the level you want to achieve. If you want to work in fast food, dress like it. If you want to work in a factory, dress like it. If you want a job, dress like it. If you want a professional career, dress like it.

Suits aren't disposable, they last a long time. Consider it an investment in you.
                    SPSC 262

Comment

I cant believe your even asking.. WEAR A SUIT!! This is not a job at Wendy's this is a career.. If you cant afford one.. borrow the money or suit..

Comment

Originally posted by L.E.O._Hopeful View Post

I know exactly where Troy is, I had to spend some time up there for a buinsess meeting a few weeks ago.

As far as the Oral boards, WEAR A SUIT. I just had my Oral board with RPD two days ago, and if you weren't dressed to impress, you were looking shabby compared to the rest of us. It makes an impression on the board!

GOOD LUCK!

Comment

I appreciate the guidance from the positive postings. As for the others......keep the negativity for someone else please.

I did not say this agency was less professional than others. Please dont try and tear apart my words. But anyways.......I'm getting a suit! Thanks to the guys who offered me assistance!

Comment

If you really, truely think that ANYONE on here posted any "negativity," then pal, you're in for a long row to hoe! No one tore your words apart, we merely making a comment as to how important it is to wear a suit. With that said, you're welcome for the assistance, and good luck.
                            Why are there so many babies on O.com? Creole, you and your buddy JPSO Recruit help me out on this one....

* "Preach always, if necessary, use words!" St Francis of Assisi

* Luke Chapter 6, Verses 27-36

Comment

Definitely go with a suit. I borrowed my father's which his sleeves were a little longer than if it was fitted to me, but it was the effort.

Some tips for the oral board..come up with creative answers. They may ask, what would you do if you caught a fellow officer stealing. They may ask, why you decided to become a police officer. Also a big one now, is why do you want to work with this agency. Make sure you do your research, know the square mileage of the town, how many officers they have, what specialty units they have, what you would like to do with your career in the agency. Showing that you did your research really looks good, and that youve invested some time. Think of answers that are truthful, but yet creative. They always hear the "i want to serve and protect, thats why i want the job" answers.........that can be part of your answer, but tell them why you became interested in LE, when did you become interested in it, what special skills or abilities do you have that set you above the other candidates.

Good luck

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5655 users online. 319 members and 5336 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X