300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help with possible relocation

A friend of mine is looking to get started in police work in Nort Carolina after 12 yrs in Corrections in California due to family reasons. Looked at the pay for some PD's and it's pretty low in comparison to Cali. Any suggestions as far as good PD's to work for and benefits that are good near the Union County area? Any help would be appreciated

All of the salaries around here are much lower than in California, so is the cost of living.

Comment

The Union County area is, I believe, part of the metro Charlotte area. There are plenty of quality agencies in that area.

Comment

I don't know why when most think of LE in North Carolina- Charlotte comes to mind. The state has similar departments that can offer the same or less intensity.

Raleigh, Durham, Winston-Salem, Greensboro, Burlington and Fayetteville are all good police agencies to look at, in addition to Charlotte. These locations have a high-tempo call-to-call type of work environment, if that is what you are looking for.

What are you looking for, if you can be a little more specific?
        "Its not cheating, unless you get caught."-Al Bundy

Comment

Originally posted by maxiedog68 View Post
          A friend of mine is looking to get started in police work in Nort Carolina after 12 yrs in Corrections in California due to family reasons. Looked at the pay for some PD's and it's pretty low in comparison to Cali. Any suggestions as far as good PD's to work for and benefits that are good near the Union County area? Any help would be appreciated

Having lived in CA, I'd say that anywhere in NC would be a good place to transfer to. Have your "friend" do some research about the state, and what his preference is regarding cost of living, closeness to the beach or mountains, climate, etc.

Cost of living is higher in some Metro areas, but so are the salaries. But both are still a lot less than in CA. There is really no bad place to live in when it comes to NC (except the beach areas during hurricane season). From Cherokee to Manteo, it's all good.
          Politically Correct? No.

Truthful? Yes!

Comment

reply to beanstick

My friend is looking for the closes dept. in salary to CA agencies ,yet near a nice area to live where the schools are good because he has 2 small children. He said he would like a medium tempo PD with time for pro-activity and not just doing the bandaid method of police work with no time to really affect anything. Thx for getting back to me

Comment

Originally posted by maxiedog68 View Post
              My friend is looking for the closes dept. in salary to CA agencies
              Never going to happen.

CA pays their folks a huge sum of money due to cost of living and all that. Most CA Agencies start off in the 50s (at least).

NC is very cheap to live (in comparision to CA) and all of their salaries start off in the low/mid 30s. I am sure there are some higher/lower than that, but I have looked into moving to the area and that's what I came up with.

Comment

I don't think you will find any dept in NC that pays as much as CA, I'm from New York looking at police depts down in North carolina, I'm mainly looking at Durham,Raleigh,Greensboro, their salaries are design to their cost of living you can buy a decent house in NC for around 150,000-200,000 over here in New York a lil house would run you 300,000 +, now if any one does know the answer to this question how long do I have to live in NC before I could be hire by any of those depts?
                "Why you harassing me?"

Comment

Depends on the department. Some will hire from out of state, and some will require state residency. There is no hard and fast rule.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4422 users online. 257 members and 4165 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X