300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinions on CMPD pay rate

Wondering on how you guys feel on the pay? Is there any room for OT and still live some what comfortable.
    I am married and have 2 children. A 2 yr old and a 4 mo. old. Curious if I will need a second job or not. My wife is a stay at home mom for the children.

Some one on here said recently they now make the most of all agencies in NC. I would like to see the pay plan if it is true. They definitely deserve it.

Comment

I am in training right now, we are at the end of week number four. Pay could be better but benefits are excellent. Now before they start taking out for medical and other stuff most of us are coming away per week with about $490-$560 now this is all based on how many people you claim on your taxes.

The training is by far the best that I have been thru the instructors will work with you, and all the officers that have came in to teach are BLET topic classes have been full of knowledge, in another few weeks we will be hitting the range and that is when the fun starts. PT is great, a mix of everything I cant say we have done the same as one of are instructors says all the time you have to keep up with "JOE" because this Joe is 17 or 18 now when you become 30 or 40 Joe will be still 17 or 18.

A+++ Everything that they tell you will save your life or another officers down the road. When you get out of the 26 week training and go to you Division you will be on about a 16 week PTO program but you are going to be on a one year probation from the time you get sworn in. With that said you will be able to work some off duty jobs during that time not all because you are still on probation, but once that is lifted you will be able to work off duty. I have seen the site with some of the jobs and they will bring in a good amount but you dont want to base your living standard off your overtime money.

There is no point on getting a 300,000.00 house and then paying over a grand a month only to just come home and sleep in the house because about 40+ hours are going to be your department time and then the other 30+ to pay your bills are going to be your off duty time you are going to just be able to get home spend time with the wife and sleep and then guess what off to work again. You all know that but I am trying to let you know that yes police are very well under paid but the city of charlotte takes care of their officers with the very best training and technology that money can buy, just to list a few.

Each person in are class got
      1. BLET BOOKS
      2. Criminal Statues (Books) for NC
      3. FARB's books If you are in NC Law Enforcement you have to know this man
      4. Laptop computers while in training, new ones coming within next week with wi-fi and other stuff.
      5. Equipment well over $3000.00

So if pay is low I still pay my bills but if my training will save my life I will take that any day. Stay safe out there my fellow LEO's until next time

Comment

To my knowledge, Greensboro tops out ahead of us now. We will be getting a pay adjustment in a few weeks that will being top pay (with 4 year degree) in the 63-64K range based on a 40 hour week. For patrol officers, most actually work a 41.25 hour week, which may not seem like much, but over a year it comes out to about $1500 for a top pay officer.

OT has been widely available for the last several years, but I think that is going to change with the new federal budget. Most of the OT I have made recently has been grant money. For new officers, because we work permanent shifts (in patrol), if you are working 2nd or 3rd, you can pull in a fair ammount from court time.

I will not guess at how much a new officer, 1,2,3 etc year officer can expect to make with straight time, roll call, court, etc. I have usually made an extra 2-3K per year, but have had one year that was 15K+, and a couple at over 10K above the published base pay. Off duty work is widely available, but you generally must be off probation (1 year). There is an exception for hardship cases, but do not expect to be granted the exception.

Comment

Thanks alot guys for all this info. And FortDrum, give me a ring one day to BS, I will be out there end of July maybe we can meet up and go out for a drink. Until then, take care of yourself

I am looking at all the facts. I am going to have a house that will cost me approx 170K. So not sure what the mortgage is going to be yet. Along with the family. Im in computers at the moment, and alot of my leads are almost similar to the pay of CMPD, just a tad bit more.

But as for FortDrum has said, you get more ontop of the salary and that is also to take in consideration.

Thank you once again.

Comment

No problem man I have been meaning to call you have been pretty busy over the last few days. I am looking for a house also but I will be shooting for the the southwest side of charlotte. There are some really nice homes near Lake Wylie on the NC side.

Comment

I know you are def. busy, Don't worry.
              I am in the process in NorthWest Charlotte. Mount holly area. There are a few lots left in the community I am going to that range from $145K-175K, and have 1800sq ft-2800sq ft

Comment

jnhdrac is spot on with the reduction in grant-based overtime. We've watched ours whittle away over the last few months, and word is that it's getting tighter. That's about all that's available regularly for probationary officers, other than the occasional big event like Speed Street. So don't count on overtime to make your bills for a year past graduation.

Comment

Originally posted by ofc129a View Post
                  jnhdrac is spot on with the reduction in grant-based overtime. We've watched ours whittle away over the last few months, and word is that it's getting tighter. That's about all that's available regularly for probationary officers, other than the occasional big event like Speed Street. So don't count on overtime to make your bills for a year past graduation.

Thats why I cant wait to get them GI benefits!

Comment

Originally posted by Mejo83 View Post
                    Thats why I cant wait to get them GI benefits!
                    Dont hold your breath on that either could be 6 months away.

Comment

2008 Public Safety Pay Plan Effective July 01 2007

New Hire week $678.24 year $35,268

New Hire w/ 2yr week $712.17 year $37,033

New Hire w/ 4yr week $747.78 year $38,885

Note these rates do not include insurance and the other extras that police pay, but serve as a base if anyone else who is with CMPD has anything else or if this info is wrong please chime in. This was taken off the R drive

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3152 users online. 137 members and 3015 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X