300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possibly moving to Charlotte area

I currently work for a city department in upstate NY. I am considering moving to the Charlotte / Mooresville area. Any one working for CMPD or Mooresville PD and have information on shift schedule, turnover rate for shift change/ promotion, or overall morale? Any info would be appreciated. thanks

I am recently retired from Charlotte. Shift schedules vary by district. To my knowledge evenings and midnight's are 4-10 everywhere, days vary. If you are already a police officer for a few years, then I believe the rule is one year, off probation, before eligible for special assignments. The more realistic rule of thumb is roughly 3 years. Exceptions to the rule of thumb happen occasionally. If a new hire, the rule is still one year but the practical reality is usually 3-5 years unless you are really good and bring a unique skill. These are my observations. Charlotte pays well for NC. Top pay with a 4 year degree is above 80. If things go well it takes roughly 13 years to top out. The steps are not guaranteed, they have to be funded each year. I think there is substantial risk that nobody will get a step raise this year for obvious reasons. Google North Carolina local government employees retirement system and north Carolina special separation allowance for information about retirement.

Comment

Huntersville is another department to look at.

Comment

• GRLIII
        GRLIII commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you for the response, much appreciated. Congrats on your retirement. Are the pay steps significant with no college degree? All I’ve got is prior military. I suppose if needed I could crank out some online school to boost my pay and avoid working my life away on OT

Charlotte pays 5% for a 2 year degree and 10% for a four year, so yes. Charlotte also will pay or help pay for the degree. Starting to knock out some college will likely help wherever you apply, so it would not hurt to start. With no degree Charlotte starts at about 45 and tops out at about 75, but that is an estimate. The pay steps are a series of 5 and 2.5% steps. With the current economy I am greatly concerned the step raises will not happen this year, but that is personal opinion only. They were skipped for a couple of years after 2008. That meant for some it will take 15 years or more to reach top pay. On the other hand, there were no layoffs after 2008 and hiring continued. There are no unions or collective bargaining in NC. In short, remember that the steps are not guaranteed each year, and if the economy takes a dive then they may not happen. If the economy tanks then Charlotte will not be the only city facing a serious problem.

Comment

Huntersville has 12 hour shifts, and they rotate days and nights every 28 days. Patrol is 6a-6p for days, and 6p-6a for nights (like I said, every month you rotate day/night shift). Schedule is like this : Work : Monday and Tuesday, Off : Wednesday and Thursday, Work : Friday, Saturday and Sunday. You switch off the work days every week, so the next week you only work Wednesday and Thursday.

Mooresville has the exact same schedule, the only exception their 12 hour shifts are permanent.

I know both agencies have openings, and have assisted laterals from out of state.

Neither have very high call volume compared to Charlotte, or even compared to other cities nearby like Gastonia and Statesville.

Morale depends on who you ask. There are people who hate it there (Huntersville and Mooresville) and those that love it.

Both agencies also got new police chiefs in 2019, FYI.
        Last edited by NC Marine; 03-28-2020, 03:40 PM.
        John 15:13 - Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends.

Comment

• GRLIII
          GRLIII commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you for the reply. Answers a lot of my questions.

Oh yeah, I am not sure what affect the Covid-19 will have on any immediate hiring and budget issues.Its pretty much all anyone seems to care about right now.
        John 15:13 - Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8272 users online. 444 members and 7828 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
        Working...
        X